Talk

Advanced search

Corfu rubbish collections

(8 Posts)
raisinsraisinsraisins Thu 04-Jul-19 20:20:52

I’m just about to book a holiday to Corfu for this summer, but I’m reading lots of news reports from last summer that say that Corfu has major problems with rubbish collections, and rubbish is piled up along the roads and not being collected as there is no-where to take it.

This is putting me off from going to Corfu now, as I’m also reading about it attracting flies and wasps. Does anyone know if things have improved from last year or if this is still the case?

OP’s posts: |
PleaseGoogleIt Thu 04-Jul-19 20:23:45

Pretty much every Greek isle I've been to has been the same.

Flies and wasps have never bothered me though - you don't tend to be sat near rubbish by the pool or in a restaurant or bar..

raisinsraisinsraisins Thu 04-Jul-19 21:36:37

Thanks. Although it does seem that Corfu has a particular problem.

MyRaGaiaStarFishPieA Thu 04-Jul-19 21:53:07

I've been to sidari 5 times in May, July and August over the last 3 years and never noticed anything other than those big industrial bins- occasionally in the summer 6 weeks the lids may not close fully but nothing like you describe. Certainly never been affected by flies or wasps on our holidays. Never even seen a cockroach in the two hotels we stay in.

Flamingo land in August though......that was bloody horrific with wasps everywhere.

Corfu is beautiful. I would go back in a heartbeat and I have s compromised immune system and my son is allergic to bees/wasps.

Mummyshark2018 Thu 04-Jul-19 22:39:47

I was in Corfu last year- st Georgious and noticed there were rubbish piles on the entrance of the hotel (down a lane) but only coaches came that way so didn't have to see it again. I think all Greek islands are not as developed as say Spain.

No1HolidayPlanner Fri 05-Jul-19 10:57:23

I have read this about Corfu and it is off putting... just back from Elounda in Crete.. no issues with rubbish.. or flies... it is a beautiful resort.smile

loopsngeorge Mon 08-Jul-19 14:39:46

There was a real problem last spring with the rubbish collections and I think it may have been the same this year. However, once the tourist season kicked in I think the authorities made sure everything was cleared. We certainly never noticed any piles of rubbish lying around in the resort.
Don't remember any flies particularly. The wasps however....Corfu does seem particularly bad for wasps but we love it there and it certainly doesn't affect the holiday. They give you a little pot of burning coffee grounds while you're eating and that's quite effective at keeping them away. I'd also recommend a good mosquito repellent. Whereabouts are you thinking of going?

raisinsraisinsraisins Tue 09-Jul-19 19:12:54

The Marbella Corfu, for a short break. But seen lots of tripadviser reviews talking about the wasps and don’t want the hassle of wasps with my DC!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in