Talk

Advanced search

Where do I want to go on holiday?

(14 Posts)
PancakeAndKeith Mon 01-Jul-19 21:35:15

I went to Croatia this year and loved it.
I loved staying in a resort type hotel ( I’ve only ever done city break type places before) as well as having a town to wander around, museums to visit etc.

So where is there that is similar and will be nice over the Easter holidays. Not fussed about it being hot, I wilt over about 25°.

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
1cecreamFreezer274 Mon 01-Jul-19 22:28:27

I've enjoyed Amsterdam, Iceland, Venice, Egypt pyramids

My friend recommends Barcelona, but I've not been yet

Threesoups Mon 01-Jul-19 23:22:44

Watching with interest as my ideal holiday is a mix of lounging around and getting some culture without having to venture too far. Quite a lot of coastal Spanish towns have a castle, most have museums and formal gardens. I'm tempted by Cordoba but it doesn't have a beach and I do like a beach.

PancakeAndKeith Mon 01-Jul-19 23:27:57

I’m not fussed about a beach but I do like being near the sea.

Threesoups Mon 01-Jul-19 23:36:41

Nerja is nice. Very pretty, historic old town, caves and that. Maybe an hour on the bus from malaga.

I saw people on here talking about a region of Italy that sounded like a good mix as well but, uselessly, can't remember what it was.

1cecreamFreezer274 Tue 02-Jul-19 00:21:42

Marrakesh amazing markets & majorelle garden. Also camel rides into the dessert. You could do a 2 centre holiday in Morocco.

1cecreamFreezer274 Tue 02-Jul-19 00:23:12

It's cheaper to go before or after any bank holiday, but this would depend on what holiday days you can go

ineedaholidaynow Tue 02-Jul-19 00:38:16

Lake Garda, you can have day trips to Verona and Venice from there

Ricekrispie22 Tue 02-Jul-19 05:55:32

Cascais is an old fishing town with a historic centre just outside of Lisbon and it is a perfect mixture of culture and beach. Along the waterfront is the fishing harbour, the marina, artisan shops and seafood restaurants. The food is great in Cascais because it is full of independent family-owned and run restaurants and cafes.
There is lots to see and do in all directions and it's only 30-40 minutes on the train to Lisbon city centre. The train route follows the coastline and has some great views. Another 'must' is a trip to the Sintra.

PancakeAndKeith Tue 02-Jul-19 06:20:37

Lots of great ideas, thank you.

I’m a teacher so my holidays are restricted I’m afraid.

stucknoue Tue 02-Jul-19 06:22:51

Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece - most resorts have cities within reach, or look at a cruise, a new place to visit each day

PancakeAndKeith Tue 02-Jul-19 17:09:29

I’d love a cruise. I couldn’t ever talk DH into it though.

fussychica Tue 02-Jul-19 20:30:50

We have just done a road trip from Zagreb to Dubrovnik and loved it. Where in Croatia did you stay, might give us a better idea of where else you might like.

Weather should be very pleasant in southern Spain or Portugal at that time. I love Seville and Cordoba but Malaga or Valencia has the culture to go with sea you're looking for.

PancakeAndKeith Tue 02-Jul-19 21:10:12

We were in Dubrovnik.
It was the first time I’d stayed in a hotel where it was a nice place to hang around. I’m far more of a daytime person, I like to be back in the hotel for the evening.

Cascais seems lovely.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in