Talk

Advanced search

crete or Mexico for a summer holiday

(19 Posts)
sevenplusquery Fri 21-Jun-19 15:24:45

Looking for summer holiday for next year, me and my three DS (who will be 13, 9 and 7). I am veering between Crete and Mexico.....Keen on all inclusive so that I get a break too!
Will Mexico be too hot in late July? Does it just feel like huge big American hotels? But also quite appealing because not hundreds of sunburnt brits??
Very grateful for any advice or recommendations!

OP’s posts: |
MissConductUS Fri 21-Jun-19 15:49:59

I don't know anything about Crete but there's currently a level 2 advisory for Mexico from the US state dept:

travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

Would you consider Florida instead?

ChardonnaysPrettySister Fri 21-Jun-19 15:52:40

Isn't that hurricane season?

lovemypussy Fri 21-Jun-19 15:54:45

Have done both and personally I preferred Crete and obviously much shorter flight too!

ChihuahuaMummy1 Fri 21-Jun-19 15:55:53

Just come back from Crete and loved it

Ohyesiam Fri 21-Jun-19 15:58:23

Crete is one of my favourite holiday destinations, but it is seriously hot in July August. Have a look at temp charts on the net

sevenplusquery Fri 21-Jun-19 16:12:02

thanks all. Yes, assuming both will be v hot I think. And yes going into hurricane season in Mexico - but not sure whether that is really an issue...?

Thanks for travel advice too - though wonder if that applies to main tourist resorts? Will have to look properly.

Cost is the same for both - Mexico more appealing on that basis it feels more of an adventure. But I do worry it will just feel like huge American resort - Florida doesn't appeal in any way for some reason, and I wonder if it will just feel like this? or does it feel more like the Caribbean?

TigerJoy Fri 21-Jun-19 21:35:49

Not been to Mexico resorts, but have been both to the Caribbean and Crete and the DP and I have both agreed Crete was far superior. Amazing beaches and sea, and better food! I'd go to Crete if I were you and save the flight time

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 22-Jun-19 09:23:25

I would go to Crete.

Its also the height of hurricane season. Sargassum seaweed has also become a major problem on beaches at many Mexican resorts in recent years.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Sat 22-Jun-19 11:42:14

And yes going into hurricane season in Mexico - but not sure whether that is really an issue

It's not, until it is.

JoyceJeffries Sat 22-Jun-19 11:47:49

Been to both and much preferred Crete.

sevenplusquery Sat 22-Jun-19 15:48:59

Thanks very much everyone - there seems to be a clear consensus for Crete! So focusing on that. (also been put off by photos of sports bars etc in the big Mexican hotels!)

ChihuahuaMummy1 Sat 22-Jun-19 16:51:30

We stayed at the Atlantica Akti Zeus in Crete and the food was very good,the best we've had in All inclusive so far.We have booked to go there again next year,they seem much more friendly in Crete compared to other countries in our opinion

sevenplusquery Sat 22-Jun-19 16:55:22

Thanks - I'll have a look for that one. Now feeling annoyed as in the few days in which I went off on a Mexico tangent - the prices for the places I wanted in Crete have gone up significantly....

On the off chance, has anyone ever been to nana beach in Crete? seems to have v good reviews...

Mehmehmeh19 Sat 22-Jun-19 17:02:51

I'm in Mexico right now 35 sunny and warm. Gets very humid of an evening. The Pacific coast would be better, during hurricane season, also no seaweed issue.

The hotel is big, doesn't feel very resorting!

Feels perfectly safe.

sevenplusquery Sat 22-Jun-19 18:53:47

What resort are you at Mehmehmeh? Looks gorgeous.

Another question - does anyone know how the bit tour companies work? I am looking for 2020.... The hotel I had my eye on has gone from TUI/First Choice - I phoned and they said they may have sold all their allocation (it was there three days ago), but they weren't v helpfu just said they could no longer see it...l. I find this hard to believe really, especially as they still have space there for this summer. Is it possible that it will come back i.e. more will be allocated? Or should I just cut my losses and look for another? I have never booked a package before so don't know how the pricing / availability works...

Mehmehmeh19 Sat 22-Jun-19 18:59:58

Riu palace Pacifico
It's beautiful
Re the allocation 🤷🏻‍♀️ I don't know
We've to México lots of times always booked through Tui we booked this holiday in feb

sevenplusquery Sat 22-Jun-19 20:08:27

thank you! had a look at the website - but can't currently see it on TUI / First Choice.

fuzzyduck1 Wed 26-Jun-19 07:50:42

Went to Mexico with Virgin probably the worst customer service I’ve ever experienced.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in