Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do I get the best price for train tickets

(13 Posts)
Trix11 Tue 24-Jul-07 23:01:09

Don't usually travel by train, when Ive looked at the prices on the net they seem quite expensive. Is there a certain place to shop to get the best deals?

Skribble Tue 24-Jul-07 23:03:52

Megatrain try these for cheap fares on someroutes.

clutteredup Tue 24-Jul-07 23:04:18

The trainline.co.uk gives you a run down of all the tickets available, look at the single fares too though as its sometimes cheaper to but 2 singles than a return ticket(??why!!??). its best to book as far in advance as poss as you get a better deal this way.

Skribble Tue 24-Jul-07 23:05:16

Oh yeh agree train line are good to and let you try different combos

clutteredup Tue 24-Jul-07 23:05:19

proper link

octo Tue 24-Jul-07 23:05:21

Go online to the national train enquiries website and put in your details - it will bring up the cheapest possible fares for your times/dates - singles usually work out cheaper than returns. It will then direct you to a retailer e.g. great western/virgin and you can book your tickets or you can go straight to the retailer - both work. For example - it costs £29 return to London from Chippenham but you can go for £16 if you get two singles.

voila!

jennifersofia Tue 24-Jul-07 23:08:47

Well, I tend to call National Rail (0847 48 49 50) and stress that you want the cheapest ticket available. You will probably be diverted to an Indian call centre, which is a bit of pot luck if you get someone good or not, and also if you don't ask for the cheapest ticket they will automatically quote you a standard ticket. Also sometimes worthwhile calling twice because you can get two different possibilites . Also, check out a family railcard, because even if you are only making the one trip, it might still be worth you while because you get good savings (1/3 of adult tickets and also 1/2 off kids tickets I think). Also can put more than just you and dp on family railcard, and it lasts a year.

Trix11 Tue 24-Jul-07 23:09:38

Thanks everyone - I will start looking

fransmom Tue 24-Jul-07 23:10:53

go to http://firstminutefares.com.

type in the time you want ot travel, the destination and departure points, how many people travelling etc. note down the ticket types and prices, you can either go to you rlocal train station and pay in person or apy over the net.

TooTicky Tue 24-Jul-07 23:11:24

Definitely get a family railcard and book as early as possible. Also, it can save a lot to break your journey into 2 separate stages - if you know where to break it!
Check different routes and times of day too.

Trix11 Tue 24-Jul-07 23:17:01

Looks like I left it to late - I want to book tickets for my parent to travel on the 04th Aug from Bham to Taunton and its coming out really expensive.

octo Tue 24-Jul-07 23:30:53

ooh yes - came up with £37 single - didn't put in a return though... What about National Express instead?

Trix11 Tue 24-Jul-07 23:41:27

its six hours on the coach

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now