Talk

Advanced search

Suitcase/Luggage advice for EuroTrip

(9 Posts)
FairyFuckDailyMail Tue 11-Jun-19 11:31:45

Please can someone tell me what is the most sensible luggage advice. I am off on a 16 day Euro Trip with a friend for my 40th. We flying to Rome, then Cinque Terre, Florence and Venice by Train and then fly to Prague, train to Berlin and train to Amsterdam before flying home. All Booking.com accommodations. What would be most sensible luggage. Medium Size in hold and smaller one in cabin or Medium Size in hold with only a rucksack as a bag and day trips as my cabin allowance as well.

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
Caspianberg Tue 11-Jun-19 11:41:27

Most sensible is hand luggage only. You have 7 places in only 16 days. Every time you fly, you will have to waste more time at the airport if you check in luggage. Handluggage only you need to only check in security by 40 mins before flights, so an hour average rather than 2 at airport.

European trains don't have much space for luaage, usually only above head ie handluggage size. also trains often have stairs to get on an doff in europe, and stairs at stations. Anything heavy will be a pain.

If you check out accommodation by 10am check out also, but are in the city the rest of the day still, you will have to tarvel luggage around with you so lighter the better.

My combo for up to 3 months is a small handluggage size suitcase, plus a small rucksack (instead of handbag). Clothes in case, day stuff for travelling about, water, breakables in rucksack. Just rinse items in sink as you go if needed.

reluctantbrit Tue 11-Jun-19 12:36:27

I personally don't like taking just handluggage. I refuse to add work by washing clothes and found that more and more airlines are really picky about handluggage and will make you put it in the hold if it goes over the required size. Easyjet makes you put a handbag into your handluggage.

The only alternative would be a couple of days just at the beach so not a lot of clothes are required but 2 weeks sightseeing is different.

With trains you also have to remember that you won't get a small suitcase necessarily at your seat and you may need a second bag for your valuables with you as well.

I always found that luggage can be left at the hotel after check out, I never had to carry it around until we left for the train/airport.

We normally take a medium size suitcase pp and a backpack each for valuables, electronics etc. I will add a small handbag into it.

Caspianberg Tue 11-Jun-19 14:10:18

easyjet does not make you put handbag into main luggage.... www.easyjet.com/en/help/baggage/cabin-bag-and-hold-luggage

Ryanair you can take 2 pieces of hand luggage for just £8 priority, where as its £50 for a case. So if on cheap airlines a checked in case can cost a lot extra for multiple flights

reluctantbrit Tue 11-Jun-19 14:25:33

I said they make you put a handbag in your HANDluggage. I have seen it several times at Gatwick.

FairyFuckDailyMail Wed 12-Jun-19 01:16:20

Thank you. I’m desperately trying not to travel with too many clothes as I’m normally a serious over packer. My friend is traveling all the way from South Africa and she’s allowed a 30kg allowance into Rome. But she said she’ll take a medium bag and make sure it’s 20kg max as I explained to her. Currently other than flying into Rome and flying back from Amsterdam the only other flight is Venice to Prague. There is a likelihood due to how cheap I paid for it (for visa purposes) well take a train or bus instead.

I’ve seen some YouTube videos of people using something similar to a Tortuga backpack which is 40l and pack 2 weeks worth of summer clothes in there. I want to take a 40l and a cabin bag if possible. And yes I do not want to nor would we have time to wash clothes. Also I travel with my own Parlux Hairdryer and my iPad. But I think due to the weather being highs of 20s and 30s I could get away with light packing. Dresses, shorts, tops, skirts and a jumpsuit, trainers and sandals.

OP’s posts: |
BarbaraofSevillle Wed 12-Jun-19 10:38:06

You're going on three flights, so the cost of hold luggage will really add up. Do you know which airlines you are using? I would try to stick to hand luggage only and be prepared to wear my heaviest clothes and shoes on the plane.

If Ryanair, I would pay for the 10kg bag that can either be taken on as priority or checked into the hold, either way you get a small rucksack as well, total cost for one flight around £10.

On Easyjet, you can pay a similar amount for speedy boarding and again get a second bag.

If you're using BA/KLM etc then you can usually take 2 bags on as standard.

If friend is bringing and checking in a hold bag, I'd give her the toiletries to carry to save liquid restrictions worries.

buttermilkwaffles Wed 12-Jun-19 20:40:12

Flying in the Schengen zone with cabin baggage only makes it so much quicker and easier, just walk off the plane and straight out the airport. Have been outside the airport with my bags 10 minutes after landing before. Plus it saves a fortune on checked bags.

I use a 45 litre Osprey rucksack and a little 15 litre Berghaus rucksack as my second bag, which I then use as my day bag for jacket, suncream, water, camera etc...

Most budget European airlines (Ryanair, Wizz Air, Volotea etc) you can take 2 bags with priority boarding and easyJet if you select and pay for a seat you can take 2 bags (still way cheaper than checking one in).

buttermilkwaffles Wed 12-Jun-19 20:40:15

Flying in the Schengen zone with cabin baggage only makes it so much quicker and easier, just walk off the plane and straight out the airport. Have been outside the airport with my bags 10 minutes after landing before. Plus it saves a fortune on checked bags.

I use a 45 litre Osprey rucksack and a little 15 litre Berghaus rucksack as my second bag, which I then use as my day bag for jacket, suncream, water, camera etc...

Most budget European airlines (Ryanair, Wizz Air, Volotea etc) you can take 2 bags with priority boarding and easyJet if you select and pay for a seat you can take 2 bags (still way cheaper than checking one in).

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in