Talk

Advanced search

Please tell us where to go!

(22 Posts)
Sarahfromtheblock Fri 31-May-19 17:24:18

Not like that grin

DH can’t get a lot of holiday from work this summer so DS (age 5) and I are going to take a break or two on our own.

We need somewhere to go where I don’t need to drive (hate driving) and is suitable for three or four day break. No budget restrictions really. I don’t like to waste money but I’m a bit of a snob when it comes to resorts and hotels grin.

We’ve done Copenhagen (loved Tivoli Gardens) and Stockholm (loves the museums, including ABBA!) and Disneyland Paris. DS loves the whole flying thing but don’t want to spend a huge amount of time in the air for just three nights. (Would rather do a short trip and save a longer holiday for when DH can come with us.)

Any ideas?

TIA

OP’s posts: |
stucknoue Fri 31-May-19 17:39:20

Warm or not bothered? I liked Madrid but it's baking (the zoo was a big hit and the cable car, we did a theme park too) Warner brothers park is also there.

Sarahfromtheblock Fri 31-May-19 17:41:28

Ooh that sounds good stucknoue is it easy to get to places without a car?

Not bothered about wether either way. I prefer the cold but will suffer for a few days 😁

Sarahfromtheblock Fri 31-May-19 17:42:01

Weather!

stucknoue Fri 31-May-19 17:49:24

I didn't drive, there's underground and buses and cable cars. I mentioned the heat because it's very warm but things are open different hours. Parc des attraxions I think was the theme park. Restaurants open dead late but bars serve tapas from about 6pm and welcome kids. We stayed at the holiday inn just to the south of the pedestrian zone.

Sarahfromtheblock Fri 31-May-19 17:54:03

Will check it out thanks. I’m not a theme park person though don’t mind small rides for DS (very small for his age so isn’t allowed in stuff anyway) but soft play and slides are his thing.

Where are there some amazing slides?!

Sarahfromtheblock Fri 31-May-19 23:13:34

Any other ideas? smile

Ricekrispie22 Sat 01-Jun-19 07:43:20

Amsterdam
Definitely visit the Nemo science centre. One of the best interactive science museums, kids don mini lab coats and safety goggles before they get to work on experiments
The Vondelpark has the daddy of all playgrounds! Actually it has more than one good playground so definitely worth exploring.
A fun pancake restaurant for children ages 5- 12 years is the Kinderkookkafé (Kids Cook Café) near the Vondelpark. The kids take over the small restaurant by cooking their own pancakes. You don’t have to book - just turn up like any other restaurant or cafe. www.amusingplanet.com/2012/01/kinderkookkafe-restaurant-run-by-kids.html
The Van Gogh museum has a family guide, treasure hunt and hands-on activities.
The Amsterdam Marionette Theatre puts on traditional puppet performances. Because the plays are set to classical music there’s no language confusion, and the costumes are amazing.
Artis Royal Zoo is a fun day out, all the more so if you time your visit to coincide with feeding times.
The Blue Boat Company’s canal cruises have a pirate-themed audio guide for kids. It's an interactive audio story with a booklet with games, pencils & a pair of real binoculars and is included with every children’s ticket.
TunFun in the old Jewish Quarter is a large underground playground with slides, trampolines and climbing apparatus, for children aged 1–12. It's quite easy to get to and near the Botanic Garden.
Also popular with my dc was the Pancake boat. You can cruise around for an hour on the canals filling up with freshly cooked pancakes onboard!

BarbaraofSevillle Sat 01-Jun-19 09:23:58

If you liked the places you mention what about Billund, Denmark?

A mile from the airport, so cheap bus or taxi, you have the original Legoland and Lalandia which is an indoor waterpark and actvity centre type place.

There's also a Center Parcs type woodland with lodges type thing in the same area and you could probably hire bikes too.

Evap0ratedM1lk Sat 01-Jun-19 10:44:32

Another vote for Amsterdam. Fly, get direct train to city centre. Nemo museum. Film museum. Boat rides
Tram rides.

EveryDayIsLikeMonday Sat 01-Jun-19 12:47:50

Malaga? Easy to get to and get around. Lovely city. Water park near Torremolinos, mini theme park and cable cars at Benalmadena.

Sarahfromtheblock Sat 01-Jun-19 16:46:35

Thank you all. Amsterdam sounds good.

onlyconnect Sat 01-Jun-19 16:59:08

La Rochelle is lovely if you live near a regional airport that flies there.

Bloomburger Sat 01-Jun-19 17:00:55

Edinburgh. I took 5 year old DD. Went to Zoo and Castle, had a fab time just the 2 of us.

CallMeCarolDanvers Sat 01-Jun-19 17:01:01

Belfast. Inexpensive, go to the coast and see Carrickfergus Castle, Giants Causeway, or stay in town, do the Titanic Exhibition, W5 and the Ulster Museum, food shopping at St George's Market, loads more.

Evap0ratedM1lk Sun 02-Jun-19 14:07:17

Ferry or fly to Jersey. Get bus pass for a week. There's a zoo, underground military war museum, castles, beaches
Similarly, Isle of Wight or Isle of Man or Scottish islands

whiteroseredrose Sun 02-Jun-19 14:23:51

Barcelona? There's a beach if you want. Parc de la Cuitadella has a boating lake and zoo. Las Ramblas (daytime only!) has birds in cages (😢) and lots of things to look at. There's also an old fashioned fair at Tibidabo and a cable car from the Port and a funicular up Montjuic. Not actually done any of this because we didn't have the money at the time but I had great fun planning it.

Or Valencia? Again a beach and also an amazing aquarium. There is a wildlife park there too I think.

Nomad86 Sun 02-Jun-19 17:15:45

Lisbon is great for kids. We visited the Oceanarium and loved it, and we don't normally bother with zoos and aquariums abroad. The food is really nice and it's easy to get around on public transport.

120912Aa120912Aa Tue 04-Jun-19 10:37:27

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Mumfun Tue 04-Jun-19 19:41:18

Barcelona also has a really good science museum. DD loved it. Also they have a special tram that takes you up from one area to the other. And also a cable car outside the city up to a religious site.

reluctantbrit Wed 05-Jun-19 14:04:41

Another vote for Amsterdam. I just came back after 4 days with DD, she is older so we looked more at museums but also spend time at the zoo and Micropia.

Nemo sounds fab, there is also a maritime museum. You can go along easy by tram and absolutely everything is in English, we had no problems at all, my dutch is pretty rustic.

Allhailthesun Wed 05-Jun-19 16:26:13

I would agree with Barcelona. Although hideously busy, it has many areas that are largely pedestrian and a beach so more child friendly.than some.
My top picks would be the Duquea de Cardona which is across the road from the Aquaruim/ 3D cinema and beach. It has a small but deep plunge pool and beautiful views. Also pedestrianised gothic quarter to the back so easy walking.
I also like the H10 hotel by La Pedra. It’s in the same block so from the roof ( that has a shallow pool) you can see the visitors on the funky roof. Also means you can easily nip in and bit it yourself. You can taxi down to the beach and obviously the tour buses ( good to do) stop very nearby.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in