Talk

Advanced search

Ikos or sani

(16 Posts)
frillseeking Mon 27-May-19 07:40:49

Keep hearing lots about these two resorts. Has anyone been and would you recommend?

OP’s posts: |
MamaNewtNewt Mon 27-May-19 07:53:45

We've just got back from Ikos Olivia and it was lovely, but not quite as good as everyone makes out, mostly to do with the service side of things. That said I'm probably going to go to another Ikos next year, the whole ultra all inc and quality was amazing.

JustTwoMoreSecs Mon 27-May-19 08:00:03

I went to Sani (club) and it was amazing, really high standard and a luxurious feel even though it is child friendly. The restaurants are quite pricey (Ikos is all inclusive I seem to remember?) so factor that in.

frillseeking Mon 27-May-19 08:09:41

justtwomoresecs I didn't think about it not being all inclusive, thanks for reminding me of that! Is it as good as everyone says? I'm just worried it won't live up to the hype or maybe it really is that good! We've got a 7 month old and would like to go in the next few months, do you think it caters for that age group?

pinkcardi Mon 27-May-19 08:54:59

Personally I found sani ok, but wouldn't go back.

The pools and beach were really busy and noisy.

Food was good at dinner but lunch was repetitive and expensive. Drinks etc around the pool were extortionate.

Kids club was good but they have a very low 'settling' tolerance. So if they aren't happy within 5 mins you get a call back. Kids club was also hugely booked up in advance.

Babysitting was good.

It was a faff to get from one hotel/site to the others.

So, it was ok, good for childcare, but not somewhere I would ever go as an adult without kids.

frillseeking Mon 27-May-19 09:03:00

pinkcardi have you been anywhere else that you would recommend? Which bit of Sani did you stay at? I've been told that the beach hotel is packed but the club hotel is a bit quieter. Although we've got the baby, I'd rather not go somewhere that's going to be absolutely packed and really noisy. I know that day will come and will have to embrace it when it does but would prefer to avoid whilst we can smile

Hollowvictory Mon 27-May-19 09:08:33

I looked at one of the ikos hotels, the sand was gritty on the beach and fir the &£8k price, I can go to Mauritius for £5k!

MilchandCookies Mon 27-May-19 09:09:04

We went to Ikos in Halkidiki two years ago and it was fabulous. Kids were 3 and 5 and loved the kids' clubs (they were separated unfortunately but it still worked). I cant remember whether 7-month-olds have a creche.
Service was outstanding, food amazing. The steps down to the beach bothered the older generation in our party but I was glad of them because of all the food!

frillseeking Mon 27-May-19 09:44:19

hollow what did you think of Mauritius?

titsmcgee Mon 27-May-19 09:50:23

Currently sitting poolside at Ikos Oceania. First family holiday, we have 18mo. Really impressed. I'm quite nervous parent, but staff really lovely, super child friendly, nothing too much trouble. Restaurants good, can't comment on crèche etc. Would return.

Hollowvictory Mon 27-May-19 10:11:40

Mauritius fabulous for families as is Mexico and the Maldives although maldives expensive. But Mauritius great value. Long flight though. I can't justify the cost of ikos for a European non-luxury holiday and I like a sandy beach not a gritty one.

frillseeking Mon 27-May-19 10:19:52

hollow Mauritius looks like good value to me too for the quality of the resorts. We have been looking at the one and only for November time and it's coming out really reasonable. I'd love to go to Mexico but that always seems to come out v expensive too. We went to The Maldives for honeymoon and loved it but would probably rather try somewhere different before returning. Mauritius looks like it has a bit more to offer. Any resorts you'd recommend?

frillseeking Mon 27-May-19 10:22:01

Thanks tits for the recommendation. Glad you're enjoying your first holiday with baby smile

pinkcardi Mon 27-May-19 22:10:32

@frillseeking We were in Sani Club.

It wasn't awful, and friends of ours really enjoy it and go back every year.

We visited out of school holidays and I just found it a bit busy and a bit boring, and quite pricey.

The beach was so busy that you were basically all sitting in lines with 6 inches between sunbed groups. The baby pool was v busy and noisy. The edge of the baby pool was incredibly slippery and my DC fell over a few times on it.

We've also done Domes of Elounda which was equally enjoyable to Sani although the rooms weren't quite as nice and the terrain v hilly.

Personally I'd rather spend less money and go somewhere I'd enjoy more, and then pay extra for childcare when there. We went to the Middle East (not Dubai) this year and had a fabulous time. Lovely resort, amazing food, just a few more hours flying than Greece, incredible weather, very interesting culture. Kids loved it, we loved it. I felt it was much better value for money and much more 'us' than Sani which we would never go to if we hadn't had the kids.

That said, people love Sani. Our friends certainly do. It's all very subjective isn't it

Dazzalm Mon 27-May-19 22:26:53

We are at Sani Beach now. We've had a great time, the staff are brilliant, pools/beach not too crowded even though the hotel is full and all the restaurants so far have been lovely BUT drinks/lunch (we're HB) are expensive and it's all a bit samey.....our 9 year old has loved the pools, football and adventure park but wasn't interested in the kids club at all (he's more interested in the smattering of premier league footballers who are also here). Not too sure I'd rush back though as we prefer to get out and about a bit and Sani seems a bit far away from the 'real Greece'.

StateofIndependance Mon 27-May-19 22:41:55

I’ve been to Sani Club and Ikos Oceania. I prefer Sani. The setting is just beautiful whereas the Oceania is not in a place you’d ever want to visit if the hotel wasn’t plonked there. I didn’t find either too busy and both offer a very easy and relaxing holiday with young kids. Ultimately though I find both a little bit hard to love probably due to the clientele. You can spend an absolute fortune at Sani and there some very, very wealthy people there. We booked quite late and only paid £1.8k for full board and due to eye watering prices limited our drinks to pints of beer. I felt Ikos wows on service and style but have had much better food and drinks at cheaper AI places. You will never see a steak at Ikos. Loads of chicken thighs and slow cooked lamb.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in