Talk

Advanced search

OK I have an 8 month DD and we are going on our first holiday....

(10 Posts)
LaBoheme Fri 20-Jul-07 10:54:51

To Italy. We are staying at parents place in a village with no pool 5 mins train ride to the beach.
What essentials will I need to bring? - I am a clueless 1st time Mum with no imagination at the moment.
Ant advice will be extremely appreciated xx

MadLabOwner Fri 20-Jul-07 10:59:51

Good luck, trip sounds lovely

I've been away lots with my 8 month old DD, but always in the UK and hence always in the rain. Usually end up filling estate car and roof top box with stuff, so probably won't be any help at all for your Italy trip.

Start by making a list with categories of Feeding, Sleeping, Bathing, Getting out/travel and toys, and keep it with you at all times so you can add to it when inspiration strikes. I love lists, but as I always end up taking everything I can with me, there isn't actually any point in my making them.

LaBoheme Fri 20-Jul-07 16:42:05

Thanks MLO. that is good advice I will make a list - I just wondered If there were any absolute essentials I may miss and kick myself for.....

BefSnork Fri 20-Jul-07 16:55:17

sun cream
insect repellent
hat
warm/cold/wet/night clothes
towels/nappies/changing stuff
cot/blankets/sleeping bag
thermometer/medicines
toys
bibs/bottles/breastpump/spoons

BefSnork Fri 20-Jul-07 16:57:04

pram

LoonyLyraLovegood Fri 20-Jul-07 17:02:38

If you can, take everything you would use at home.
I took DS2 on holiday to Mallorca when he was 10 weeks old and I even took the moses basket.

Leslaki Fri 20-Jul-07 18:45:45

remember Italian baies wear nappies so don't tzake loads with you - too bulky. Take jusdt more than enough for the journey and if you need formula, take the tins with you as it is slightly different over there. For bottles we took sterilising tablets and bought a cheap bucket to use for that!!! Ds was 9 weeks old and we managed fine in Menorca. Took our travel cot which we used as a day time safe place as the cot the apartments supplied was lovely so he slpet in that. Won't need amny clothes as hpefully it'll be hot and he was happiest naked or with just a nappy on during the day and babygros at night! Calpol handy for flight in case of sore ears. Feed on take off and landing again to combat the sore ears.
Portable high chair thingy - we had the inflatable one and it was fab!
If it's your parents place would it not be a good idea to buy a few second hand/cheap bits n bobs and keep them there. Then you can have extra trips!

pistachio Fri 20-Jul-07 18:54:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LaBoheme Sat 21-Jul-07 08:29:50

Thant's great guys thanks - so true about the nappies why was I thinking pf bringing a huge packet?!. P I know all about Plasmons I was brought up on them too - sooo much nicer than Rusks ..

PotterCandles Sat 21-Jul-07 08:43:42

On the plane avoid feeding until it's doing the actual take-off run. Don't feed while the plane is taxiing around, as there can be a long wait until it actually takes off - by which time the baby may have finished the feed. Feeding through the actual ascent and descent is very good for preventing the LO getting any ear-pain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now