Talk

Advanced search

Off on a seaside holiday - tips for wildlife spotting?

(9 Posts)
OldieMum Thu 19-Jul-07 19:24:44

We are taking DD (4) and DS (1) for a seaside holiday in Wales on Saturday. She has become very interested in wildlife, partly due to my encouragement and also because her pre-school has spent a lot of time looking at the life cycles of frogs, butterflies etc recently. It would be fun to continue this on our holiday. I can think of some obvious things (looking at rockpools, e.g.), but wondered whether anyone has some not-so-obvious things to suggest we look for and do. Suggestions for web sites would also be very welcome.

DangerousBeans Thu 19-Jul-07 19:29:22

Have you searched on the tourist information site for the area? That may have some useful info about what wildlife you can expect to see.

OldieMum Thu 19-Jul-07 19:31:36

Thanks. I know the area well and have a good idea of what's there (seals, puffins, gannets etc). I was looking more for ideas for activities we could try on the beach, in rockpools etc.

Carnoodleusfudge Thu 19-Jul-07 19:32:11

Sharks

SpiderBaby Thu 19-Jul-07 19:32:40

in coast magazine this week there are some activites to do. One is aboput spotting lots of different seaweed...the other shows you how to make a picture etc. Its very good and a nice magazine anyway

OldieMum Thu 19-Jul-07 19:58:24

Sharks ... as in looking for them? I think not!!!

moondog Thu 19-Jul-07 19:59:15

Where are you going exactly?

OldieMum Thu 19-Jul-07 21:01:22

Pembrokeshire, near Solva.

Peachy Thu 19-Jul-07 21:10:44

the ds's have little rucksacks from DK with spotting uides in for birds etc, thnk they cost about £6 and are fab.

Seashells and birds anre the most popular

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now