Talk

Advanced search

Heathrow BA - AA

(22 Posts)
kaytee87 Thu 16-May-19 13:30:08

We're flying BA from Glasgow then connecting onto American Airlines at Heathrow before flying to Charlotte.
We'll have 90 minutes in Heathrow and it's sold as a connecting flight so in theory should be fine as we won't have to deal with luggage. We'll have a just turned 3yo with us. Should it be enough time?
I've only connected through Heathrow once going to the US, didn't have any kids with us and can't remember how long we had.

OP’s posts: |
palahvah Thu 16-May-19 13:41:23

Which terminals?

babysharkah Thu 16-May-19 13:41:45

It'll be tight if you have any delay at all.

Xiaoxiong Thu 16-May-19 13:43:40

I'm assuming you'll have to change terminals? In which case I think 90 mins is the absolute minimum amount of time you'll need which doesn't leave much wiggle room if your first flight is delayed. I don't think you'll be able to do that at the speed of a 3 year old - if there is some way you could put her in a sling that would be better.

I'm trying to remember if because you're going from a domestic flight on to a US flight you'll have to go through security again, which would add time on.

kaytee87 Thu 16-May-19 15:34:14

I'll check the terminals. There's no way he'd go in a sling grin he could possibly be pulled along on a case though.

It's annoying that it's sold as a valid connection when it seems so tight.

UrsulaPandress Thu 16-May-19 15:37:58

There are no moving walkways at Terminal 5. On my most recent trip I asked for assistance as I am a bit crippled. We should have had a one and half hour turn round but the original flight was cancelled so we had five and half hours.

Plenty of time to change terminals, get something to eat and for our luggage to be broken into.

If it has been sold as a valid connection then they should do everything they can to get you to your flight.

kaytee87 Thu 16-May-19 15:49:12

@UrsulaPandress I have a dodgy ankle (arthritis and bone spur) and will probably have had a third operation on it by the time I go (maybe not too long before) I wonder if I should ask for assistance for us for that and for travelling with a 3yo or is that cheeky?

kaytee87 Thu 16-May-19 15:56:00

I think I'll land at terminal 5 and leave from terminal 3 @palahvah

Haven't booked flights yet so just going by flight numbers.

ArfArfBarf Thu 16-May-19 16:03:23

I’d go for a longer layover unless you’re happy to wait til the next available flight. We’ve had similar connections with BA and twice made the connection by the skin of our teeth (and our bags didn’t make it on time) AND that was without having to change terminals. BA will sort you out if you miss it but you’ll probably lose any seat reservations (may have to sit separately).

Have you considered flying via Dublin and clearing US immigration there?

kaytee87 Thu 16-May-19 16:09:07

@ArfArfBarf I think I'll have a look at the later connection. I'd like to decrease the journey time where possible as my son will be majorly fed up but don't want to miss our flight and defo don't want to sit separately.
We'll be doing immigration when we land in Charlotte rather than in Heathrow and apparently Charlotte airport is pretty good so not worried about that part of the journey (plus not time constrained at that end)

kaytee87 Thu 16-May-19 16:10:09

It would also be a nightmare to lose our luggage.

UrsulaPandress Thu 16-May-19 16:14:59

Definitely book assistance. You don't have to prove anything. I have no shame anymore. You need to get a bus from T5 to T3 but the wheelchair took me to the bus then another met at the other end.

I have arthritis in my ankle and other sundry places. It was a godsend having assistance and I will do it every time I travel now.

ajandjjmum Thu 16-May-19 16:15:39

To go from 5 to 3 is quite a distance. Who have you booked through?

BA contacted us about flights we had booked as a connecting flight. In all fairness, the connection was in the States, but it was 2 hours, and they felt it was too tight. Having said that, they have bent over backwards to try and make the situation better for us, as they appreciate that it was their initial error.

SofiaAmes Thu 16-May-19 16:18:33

Each airport has a minimum and a recommended transfer time for domestic and international flights. I would be very surprised if 90 minutes is considered allowable at Heathrow for an international flight. Having traveled a lot in and out of Heathrow with the dc's when they were little, I don't think it's enough. I would plan on a minimum of two hours and three would be better. Bring a fold up cheap umbrella stroller for your DS and hope that they will let you carry it on. My DS would always fall asleep on planes and need to be carried off the plane. Arrange for wheel chair transfer at Heathrow and your destination if you think you will struggle with walking.

kaytee87 Thu 16-May-19 16:22:32

@ajandjjmum @SofiaAmes it's British airways own website. They say 90 minutes is valid connection. I think I will look at the later one though as I am concerned.
You can't take a buggy on board, it needs to go into the hold so we won't have it in Heathrow.

kaytee87 Thu 16-May-19 16:23:35

Oh meant to say, I'm fine to walk but I absolutely can't run at all and struggle with stairs.

ajandjjmum Thu 16-May-19 16:26:43

I would speak to BA Customer Services, and just query the time. Terminal 5 is the other side of the M4 to Terminal 3, so quite a jaunt. If they have accepted a booking that doesn't work (which is what they did with us), they will try and put it right.

They were actually really helpful with us, and changed our booking to a direct flight - I think they could see I was getting grief! grin

BayandBlonde Thu 16-May-19 16:35:01

I would try and get a longer connection time.

Im going away soon and have a 90 minute connection in Dubai at midnight (same airline). I've done this connection loads of times, the airport is dead that time of night and there are no transfers to different terminals but 90 minutes is still cutting it tight.

I wouldn't like to try that in Heathrow, especially when having to transfer to a different terminal

BayandBlonde Thu 16-May-19 16:35:49

Sorry when I say same airline, I mean same airline on both legs. Emirates

celtiethree Thu 16-May-19 16:36:43

I’d say 90 mins is too short for Heathrow. Minimum 2 hours - if travelling with family I always look for even longer than this and factor in a meal, even if it’s sold as a connection the days where they help you make your next flight are long gone - BA simply direct you to the connections desk to rebook. We missed a connection on an inbound flight last year - very unhelpful, got sent out into the departures hall and told to go to the ticket desk, ended up on standby with us split up onto different flights.

Teddybear45 Thu 16-May-19 16:38:57

If it’s been sold as a connection then the AA flight is probably operated by BA. Don’t worry about it - legally they have to ensure you make your connection if it’s been bought as one.

kaytee87 Thu 16-May-19 16:39:01

We will defo go for a longer connection, it's not worth the risk.
Also it seems there is a play area in t3 and t5 so ds can burn off some energy whilst waiting and we can grab food.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in