Talk

Advanced search

Bilbao/San Sebastian

(6 Posts)
YogiBear19 Sat 11-May-19 15:23:26

Hello! I’m going to Bilbao and San Sebastián for 5 days during May half term. Any recommendations for must see’s or must do’s (Guggenheim aside) greatly appreciated. Boys are 13 & 10. Many thanks.

OP’s posts: |
Ricekrispie22 Sat 11-May-19 16:25:04

Monte Igueldo theme park has a good variety of entertainment from bumper cars to a haunted house, trampolines and boat rides.
A great half-day activity is to take the short boat trip out to this small island in the Santa Clara Bay, where there’s a little beach and a jetty that’s very popular with swimmers who can jump off all the way along – even our five year old braved it.
San Sebastian has a lot of gorgeous city parks and easygoing hiking. We had a great time exploring the Parque Cristina Enea, with its surreal statues and beautiful trails.
Just 20 minutes out of the centre, the Albaola Sea Factory is a fascinating museum. You can see a ship modelling workshop here, an old whaling ship that was restored from a wreck, and a number of other interactive exhibits aimed at children.
The science museum has a planetarium which my dc thought was cool.
Watersports are huge in San Sebastián. Consider getting them paddle board or sea kayaking lessons. Rentals are located right onPlaya Concha, amongst many other locations. There are a number of surfing schools, from which you can just hire a board even if you don’t want lessons.

YogiBear19 Sat 11-May-19 22:15:04

This is amazing, thank you so so much 🙏🏼

Ofitck Mon 13-May-19 19:35:44

Hi! I’m a Donostiarra (San Sebastián local). It’s not Spanish at all, don’t come expecting Spain!

If you can, book in advance to eat at the culinary university in San Sebastián (Basque Culinary Centre).

If you have some money book a one Michelin star dinner at the Mirador de Ulia - incredible mountain clifftop restaurant

If you have lots of money book a 3 star - Arzak, Akelarre...

If you have a car and you’re going between Bilbao and San Sebastián, stop at San Juan de Gaztelugatxe (it’s the most breathtaking place - it is dragon stone in game of Thrones.

Also on the way is Guernica which has an interesting museum.

In San Sebastián they have just opened a new sculpture park - Chillida Leku- which is nice for peace and quiet. I’d avoid the science museum unless it’s raining. It’s ok but will have all the kids summer camps on.
It’s a bit cold for the beach at the moment.

Igueldo theme park is sweet but your children might be a little old for it. Still worth it for the Views. Pintxos in the old part are lovely but expensive so head over the bridge to gros.

For a day trip with kids your age, this is my absolute favourite, incredible but fairly off the beaten track treat:

Albaola maritime centre as mentioned above is great - take the metro (topo) to pasaia donibane, walk right through it’s one street stopping off at the victor hugo house on the way. Go as far as the path takes you, right around the headland almost out into the sea, then youlll find a great little bar for some tapas. Then take the tiny over the bay to the other side and stop at the maritime museum. See the whale ship being built in real time. Then keep walking to the end of the path and you’ll find some steps where the bay opens onto the sea. Go up them and walk in a straight line right over the mountain, part of the st James way with views that look like something out of Jurassic park. Come down back into San Sebastián on the other side. If you can time it for sunset you won’t regret it!

YogiBear19 Tue 21-May-19 21:26:22

This is so wonderfully helpful, thank you so very much.

TheDuckSaysMoo Tue 21-May-19 21:30:56

Guggenhiem, Vizcaya Bridge and Guernica museum all great. It's a fabulous area in general.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in