Talk

Advanced search

Travel Insurance

(4 Posts)
user1471543683 Sat 04-May-19 20:23:36

Am after a bit of advice. I am due to go abroad on holiday in July and am looking to book travel insurance. However, my Dad has terminal cancer with an unknown amount of time left. If i take out insurance and the worst happens with my Dad will they cover the holiday if I then cant go. We have booked the holiday ourselves, no travel agents involved.

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Sat 04-May-19 20:45:17

Depends on the insurance cover tbh. You'll have to check what they cover

reluctantbrit Sat 04-May-19 21:03:27

Sorry a out your dad, I have been there with exactly the same problem.

We had insurance via my DH’s work and when he checked he was told they wouldn’t cover as it was an existing condition and we knew it was final. After lots of arguments they said they would accept letter from my dad’s doctor stating that while the cancer is final there would be no way to predict when he would die.

In the end we didn’t need the letter, my dad passed away a month before we left.

This was 13 year ago so I cannot remember which insurance we used, sorry.

You will have check each T&Cs what is classed as family and also if they cover death due to existing conditions. Be prepared to phone each one and check if in any doubt, for another problem I spent a lot of time on the phone with various insurances trying to find out what exactly they cover.

BarbaraofSevillle Sun 05-May-19 08:39:42

You'll be unlikely to be covered for cancellation for a relative with a terminal illness, if you haven't already taken out the insurance. It's all in the small print.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in