Talk

Advanced search

Barcelona + escape holiday

(4 Posts)
GrandpaPig Mon 08-Apr-19 21:20:04

I need your experience!
We are a family of 4, kids are 8 and 11 and we haven't gone abroad as much as I'd have liked over the last few years, so I'd like to make up for it in one holiday!

I want to show my husband and kids Barcelona, they've all got the appetite for it, if we do it in about 3 days, but then I'd like us to get a train to somewhere that we can really relax and enjoy ourselves for a week, self catering so maybe within 2 hours where we can see seaside/countryside/lakes/mountains that sort of thing – not necessary all of the above, but I'd like some views and a market, bars, cafe-restaurant culture with a bit of swimming/cycling to keep us busy. Has anyone done this so I can copy?

OP’s posts: |
christravelwizard Tue 09-Apr-19 19:58:42

Hi@grandpapig,
You could actually do all of this in Barcelona - there are beautiful beaches and you could easily craft a 2-3 day itinerary just in and around the city itself.

SheWoreBlueVelvet Tue 09-Apr-19 22:51:53

If you want to relax keep it simple. You don’t need the hassle of two holidays in a week.
Pick a brilliant hotel or Airbnb in Barcelona with an outstanding view, a pool etc. Then get into a routine - early breakfast at the place next door, sightsee, back for wine and chillax, out for dinner by the sea.
Do Barcelona at a normal pace.. not the city break weekend pace. You’ll feel like you’ve been away and that you know the city.
It’s very easy and quick to pop up to France by car or train though. Two hours and you’re in Perpignan. It’s an amazing holiday where you show the kids how small Europe actually is and the contrast between being in Spain and France is crazy for kids to take on board.

NicciLovesSundays Wed 10-Apr-19 10:39:27

When are thinking of travelling? If between May and October I would suggest you take the boat to Ibiza - mountains, beaches, good food and if you fancy some music you could head to the sunset strip in San Antonio or some of the Ibiza Town bars that the children would enjoy too.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in