Advanced search

Driving to France on Saturday and can't find driving licence!

(16 Posts)
Titsywoo Wed 03-Apr-19 22:01:13

We're borrowing a friends people carrier to drive to Brittany (going on Eurotunnel) and then we're doing a mini road trip back over the next 4 days. We have insurance on the car etc but we can't find the photocard parts of our driving licences only the paper parts! What are the chances of us needing to show them at any point?

OP’s posts: |
TheInvestigator Wed 03-Apr-19 22:03:46

The paper part isn't even valid anymore. You really need your photocards!

TheInvestigator Wed 03-Apr-19 22:06:39

You will need your full driving licence documentation as well as the original Vehicle Registration Document (V5). If the vehicle you are driving is borrowed, hired or leased, it is vital that you carry a Vehicle on Hire Certificate (VE103).

That's from.the eurotunnel website.

Titsywoo Wed 03-Apr-19 23:03:47


OP’s posts: |
converseandjeans Wed 03-Apr-19 23:09:35

The French can be real bastards when it concerns documents. See if you can get emergency one tomorrow.

TheInvestigator Wed 03-Apr-19 23:18:57

French driving laws

All vehicles driven in France, including vehicles registered outside of France, MUST have one Hi-Viz reflective jacket and one warning triangle in their vehicle. The reflective jacket has to conform to EU standard and must be inside the car – not in the boot. On the spot fines varying between €90 and €135 will apply.

Mandatory in car breathalyser

From 1st July 2012, every driver of a motorised land vehicle, excluding mopeds, must possess an NF approved digital breathalyser or an unused (and immediately available) NF breathalyser kit.

The rule equally applies to vehicle registered outside France. Only vehicles fitted with breathalyser Interlocks are excluded.

The new legislation, which is part of a bid to tackle drink driving and cut road accidents, comes into force on July 1st 2012. Failure to comply will result in on-the-spot fines.

Be fully prepared for driving abroad. Call into theAA Travelshop, in our Folkestone Passenger Terminal Building, for all compulsory or recommended equipment required in your car.

^ you also need to know that, just incase you hadn't read it.

Titsywoo Wed 03-Apr-19 23:26:30

How do you get an emergency one?

OP’s posts: |
TheInvestigator Thu 04-Apr-19 15:30:14

Do they offer emergency driving licenses? The advice for losing your license before your driving test it to re-arrange your test and order a new license which takes one week online or 3 weeks by post. If they offered emergencies ones then surely that would be listed as an option.

WhenDoISleep Thu 04-Apr-19 15:37:10

Will you be back before 12 April? As if not you may also need an International Driving Permit, depending on what happens viv-a-vis Brexit next week.

Peterpiperpickedwrong Thu 04-Apr-19 15:39:50

If you wear glasses you also need a spare pair if driving in France.
Sorry, doesn’t help you driving licence situation at all.

NicoAndTheNiners Thu 04-Apr-19 15:40:55

I've driven to the Alps several times and was unaware you needed it and have never been asked for it.

Peterpiperpickedwrong Thu 04-Apr-19 15:41:29

thatmustbenigelwiththebrie Thu 04-Apr-19 18:22:50

What is the paper part? I have never heard of that. I just have my driving licence in my wallet all the time for ID etc.

GetOffTheTableMabel Thu 04-Apr-19 18:31:24

We did not know that we needed the V5 with us. (We always take our licenses). We were pulled over last year at a roadside checkpoint in Normandy and were asked to show our documents. They eventually let us go on without it but largely Ithink because the language barrier worked in our favour. I speak a little French but they spoke no English and eventually gave up on us.

TheInvestigator Thu 04-Apr-19 18:58:59


Are you young? Or only passed in the last few years?

Driving licenses used to have a paper counterpart. You didn't need to carry it with you, but you'd need to send it in if the police wanted your license or if you got points or needed to renew. It's not a thing anymore.

Titsywoo Fri 05-Apr-19 00:03:51

Well there's no way we will get one in time although we can get a copy from the DVLA - not that the French police will accept it. Will just make sure we have everything else and hope we don't get pulled over. We'll be back on 10th so no worries about brexit issues. Thanks everyone.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in