Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have a packing checklist for a fortnight on the Med? Please. Can't seem to get my head round it.

(18 Posts)
bozza Wed 11-Jul-07 14:14:30

This is the first time we have flown with with both DC and I can't get my head round what to pack. It should be easier because we will obviously be taking less stuff than when take the car to France. All the advice seems to be regarding babies and mine are 6 and 3. The 3yo is well dry night and day and out of a buggy so no child related things except clothes and toys and arm bands.

I just want someone to come a long really and say to me "take X t-shirts, Y dresses and Z swimming costumes for the 3yo...." etc. Also do you usually wash clothes on holiday or do you take 14 sets of underwear for everyone?

ComeOVeneer Wed 11-Jul-07 14:19:48

My mum always advises "put out what you want to pack on the bed, put half of it back in the drawer, then put the rest in the suitcase".

Seriously I do (for dd 5) 5 t-shirts, 2 shorts, 2 dresses, a warm top, 5 knickers, swimming stuff, sandals, hat, thin raincoat and 2 pairs of pj's and a couple of pairs of socks. We generally go somewhere with a washing machine and (provided it is a hot/swimming holiday) they tend to run around in their swimming stuff most of the time. She travels in jeans/t-shirt/longsleeved top/socks and trainers. HTH

HedTwigg Wed 11-Jul-07 14:19:53

<snigger>

now Bozza, if you could be arsed you'd work it out easily wouldn't you

what with you being a totally capable adult and a woman of the world to boot

<small jealous emoticon by the way>

bozza Wed 11-Jul-07 14:30:41

Thanks COV for your helpful post. That is basically what I wanted. So I can presumably transfer that to my 6yo DS but add extra pair of shorts/shirt to compensate for the dresses. And same for DD. There is a washing machine but when we have the car I just don't bother.

twig - it is a budget ish holiday (as far as you can get in mid August) with cheapy flights from B'ham and a shared pool etc. But I am quite excited. Also can I point out that there are mumsnetters with spreadsheets and ticklists set up for this very thing.

HedTwigg Wed 11-Jul-07 14:33:29

we;re going to Ireland .. by ferry

we chose a cheap holiday for budgeting purposes

of course, we've just had to upgrade the car to one with air conditioning because the thought of driving to wales then ireland without mid-august and being stuck in traffic fills me with fear

so its actually costing more than renting Branson's island

bozza Wed 11-Jul-07 14:36:11

Ah I've done car and ferry holidays, I know what I am doing there. Although the car does tend to sit low with the stuffed boot and roof box and all. My friend has recently been to Spain with same age children and got charged for being over the weight limit on all 4 of their bags. Hence I am not asking her advice.

ChippyMinton Wed 11-Jul-07 14:40:26

2 shorts
3 t shirts
1 shortie PJs
2 swimming trunks/bikini
1 long trousers
5 pants
1 long sleeve t shirt
1 fleece/sweatshirt
1 pac-a-mac
crocs
DD will have a couple of sundresses too.
plus whatever they are travelling in.
I can never resist buying tshirts while we're away, and my DC are close in size to share if anyone runs short. Campsite has washers & dryers.
I always take too much, so this year i resolve to take only the above and save some space for wine on the way home

bozza Wed 11-Jul-07 14:50:07

Do you really take long sleeved tops and fleeces and stuff? I might take them for me but the children don't even wear them in Yorkshire let alone the south of France. We went to a garden party last Saturday and it was very windy. DD was wearing a party dress that kept billowing over her head, I was wearing an age 2 cardigan over my arm.

suwoo Wed 11-Jul-07 14:50:15

I don't know how you restrict yourselves to that amount. I thought I was being good, but think DD has 10 dresses for evening, plus countless t shirts and shorts. DS has about 15 vests and again inumerable outfits for night time. We have a washing machine in the apartment........Am I mad??????

bozza Wed 11-Jul-07 14:53:31

suwoo you are a bad influence. I must not overweight our cases! We will not be taking any vests. I doubt either child has any that fit.

suwoo Thu 12-Jul-07 09:19:49

Yeah, Bozza but I have weighed my suitcases and they are only 11kg and 12kg each, and we have one more we can take. You should see the baby paraphenalia I have packed for DS. Take more stuff, you know you want to!!

bozza Thu 12-Jul-07 09:41:27

But, of course, the less I take for them, the more I can take for me. I am planning ahead a bit though because we are not going until August.

WendyWeber Thu 12-Jul-07 09:48:32

I do wash on holiday, because

a) the stuff dries in about 10 minutes

b) I won't have piles of dirty stuff hanging around waiting for decent weather when we get home again

MadEyemarthamooDy Thu 12-Jul-07 09:50:00

Do I have a packing list for two weeks on the Med?

No

bozza Thu 12-Jul-07 09:51:44

Wendy that does depend where you go. The place in Brittany last year had a damp smell so I ended up washing everything, even odd bits that we hadn't worn because it had picked up the smell.

bookthief Thu 12-Jul-07 09:57:57

Ha! We're going on holiday tomorrow for one week, 50 miles down the road to my parents... and reading the above I'm away to remove 3/4 of the clothes I packed for ds .

Tis a madness given that he rotates about 3 outfits at home, but I'm packing like we're away for a month, he's suddenly going to need 4 changes a day and we'll be without running water or something.

WendyWeber Thu 12-Jul-07 09:58:52

Oh that is v true, bozza, but you mentioned South of France so I thought it might be warm there. (Still potential for damp smells in accommodation of course )

bozza Thu 12-Jul-07 10:20:48

I am rather hoping it will be warm. I looked at the bbc 5 day forecast and it was solid sun and 28-30 degrees but there is plenty of time for that to change before 6 Aug. There will probably be a heatwave here and torrential storms there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now