Talk

Advanced search

Any tips for the blue bell railway?

(3 Posts)
roundligament Tue 26-Mar-19 22:26:36

I'm going on Saturday with my husband and son who's 2 nearly 3. I'm really looking forward to it!
Any tips of where to get off, what to bring or anything like that would be so appreciated

OP’s posts: |
Ricekrispie22 Wed 27-Mar-19 16:05:27

We really enjoyed riding in one of the compartments on the train so that we could have the ‘Hogwarts Express’ experience. There are only a few compartments so if you want one, it’s best to get onto the train as soon as it arrives – they’re usually on the platform at least 20 minutes before the departure time.
If you’re not bothered about a compartment, I’d recommend a walk to the front of the train and look at the engine. If you’re lucky, you might be invited on to take a closer look.
All four of the railway stations have been restored to different periods and the attention to detail is just amazing. The station at East Grinstead, where we boarded our train, has been restored to the 1950s and 1960s. There’s a really lovely vintage tearoom in a restored engine carriage near the platform here.
We also spent an hour wandering around Horsted Keynes. You can’t help but feel that you’ve gone back in time as you walk down the platforms here. There are vintage posters along the walls, old-style vending machines selling cigarettes and chocolate, metal milk churns and an old-fashioned bar. One of the carriages at Horsted Keynes has been transformed into a play area for younger children, together with a climbing frame and slide, soft play section and wooden railway set. There’s a good outdoor children’s playground at Kingscote too.
We visited Sheffield Park and Garden at the end of the line. It’s a pleasant 15-minute walk through the fields to reach the park from the station and the National Trust gardens here are absolutely wonderful. We were particularly excited about finding the tallest tree in the park – a giant redwood that friends had described as being like the Magic Faraway Tree.

roundligament Wed 27-Mar-19 21:39:07

This is such a gorgeous reply 💕 thank you so much for this information I will keep it to hand for Saturday

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in