Talk

Advanced search

baby, taxi, car seat??? So whats the deal? Anyone know?

(11 Posts)
missusmiles Tue 10-Jul-07 13:33:18

Not sure really where to post this, can anyone help? I'm getting a train to Luton on Friday with DD and pushchair and want to book a taxi on to my destination and am not sure what to do. I Don't want to take my own child seat because is a faff and is heavy and awkward with just me. I called a taxi company and the man said they don't have car seats. He then said "can't you just sit her on your lap?, that'll be fine" (Hello?! is that reasonable or legal or safe? I presume not!) They he said well what are you bringing her in haven't you got a cot or something? (grr!) So in the end he said well just leave her in the pushchair and you can get a people carrier. But is this going to work? I can't imagine that there is the headheight, or space for a pushchair, let alone whether it is legal, or really that safe. Maybe i'm overreacting but it seems like there must be a solution. Is it my responsibility to provide my own car seat?

WaynettaSlob Tue 10-Jul-07 13:36:45

Yes, it is your responsibility, however it is legal (AFAIK) to travel on extra-ordinary journeys with a child on your lap. I have done it to the airport a few times.

How long is your journey at the other end?
How old is your DD?

LIZS Tue 10-Jul-07 13:36:50

It is legal in a taxi but not safe . With some companies you cna get a seat if you prebook but not guaranteed .

canmummy Tue 10-Jul-07 13:39:31

It is only legal to carry a child under 3 unrestrained in a taxi otherwise they have to use an adult belt. Neither of these options are safe but you wouldn't be breaking the law

NAB3 Tue 10-Jul-07 13:40:58

Travelling without a seat is only legal for unforeseen emergencies. This is a preplanned journey and you either need to take a car seat or book a black cab that will fit your pushchair in.

canmummy Tue 10-Jul-07 13:43:12

NAB3 - the law is confusing but is totally different for taxi's so that "unforeseen emergencies" rule doesn't apply

missusmiles Tue 10-Jul-07 13:50:53

Thanks all.. I think I'll call around a few more firms to try and get a car seat if poss.

Spockster Tue 10-Jul-07 14:00:43

Some taxi companies will hold your seat for you, if you book them both ways, and then when they pick you up to come back the seat is in the car already for you. Doesn't help if you're going one way, though...

WaynettaSlob Tue 10-Jul-07 14:02:56

How old is your DD? Addison Lee (v.large cab company) have some of those people carriers where the seats have inbuilt child restraints, so if your child is old enough then that might be the option.

their number is 020 73878888 (and you could phone to get them to give you a quote)

FrayedKnot Tue 10-Jul-07 20:25:16

I got a mini cab in London recently with DS an they had a flip down in-built child seat in a normal car, which was fine for DS, 3.4(used with seatbelt).

Worth ringing round a few firms I would say.

LaCerbiatta Wed 11-Jul-07 11:17:51

I looked a lot into this when dd was born because we didn't ahve a car and took a lot of taxis just to get home from the supermarket, etc. It is not ilegal but obviously not safe. What I was recommended to do was always find a taxi big enough to put the pushchair inside, open, like the London ones, iyswim. If you apply the brakes that's meant to be a lot safer (not so sure myself.... but there you go!).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: