Talk

Advanced search

Hiring cars without a credit card

(14 Posts)
flumox1978 Thu 14-Mar-19 12:12:20

Hi hoping for some sage advice

I have booked flights for a holiday ... was hoping to hire a car.

I don't have a credit card - do I HAVE to have a credit card to hire cars abroad?

Secondly, can I use my husbands credit card? (He won't be on the trip)

OP’s posts: |
LooksBetterWithAFilter Thu 14-Mar-19 12:14:40

Some companies don’t need a credit card but particularly abroad they ask for a large cash deposit. The reason the need a credit card is for security in case of damage/speeding tickets the like. You can’t use his card because they will probably ask to swipe it to authorise it when you arrive.
Have a google for car hire in the town you’re going to without credit card you might find something.

jjandtheseagulls Thu 14-Mar-19 12:23:56

I'd get one to be safe. Some companies insist on it

WhatNow40 Thu 14-Mar-19 12:28:54

I'd just get one, or ask you husband for a 2nd card on his account that is in your name. No additional credit check is required for that.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 14-Mar-19 12:30:33

Where will you be travelling to?.

You will need a credit card of your own. Practically all hire car companies will refuse to hire you a car otherwise.

Re your H's card are you a secondary named card holder on his account, if not you won't be able to use that.

AJMcD Thu 14-Mar-19 12:34:31

I got stung by this recently - was able to hire a car but had to take out much more expensive insurance so it cost about €100 more. The credit card has to be in the driver's name. But some smaller local companies don't require this so perhaps try one of them.

Hoppinggreen Thu 14-Mar-19 17:56:37

We hire cars 4 or 5 times a year abroad and have always needed a cc, even when we have used smaller companies
Best idea is to see if your DH can add you as an additional card holder

legolimb Thu 14-Mar-19 18:02:55

Every time I have hired a car abroad I have needed a credit card.

If you do get one you could get one which has no currency exchange fees too.

I took out a Halifax Clarity card specifically for holidays.

Charley50 Thu 14-Mar-19 18:10:00

We did it last year in Mallorca. Googled hire car with debit card. It was fine. I think it might have been a bit more expensive, but not much.
Also on a Greek island paid by debit card, no problem. Where are you going?

LIZS Thu 14-Mar-19 18:15:18

I think cc has to be in name of the driver.

AuntieOxident Thu 14-Mar-19 18:22:03

Your DH can ask for you to be added to his credit card account and then get a separate card, in your name, for you. Best if he gives them a ring if time is of the essence.
Also I recommend taking out UK- based annual car hire excess insurance if you hire cars abroad twice a year or more, costs about 45 quid for all of Europe. You are then much less likely to succumb to the car hire company's hard sell to get you to take out their excess insurance. (Usually €€€) If you are unlucky enough to damage the hire car you pay up, then claim it back on your car hire insurance policy.

BarbaraofSevillle Fri 15-Mar-19 09:15:15

You are likely to severely restrict your choice of company you can hire from if you don't have a credit card.

This could make it much more expensive. I don't understand why you just wouldn't get a card, it makes it so much easier. As others have said, you will be asked to leave a deposit of around 1000 euro, and it usually has to be on a credit card.

You can sometimes pay extra to reduce this excess to zero, but why would you - it's a total waste of money as it's usually about an extra £100 a week, when you can get the same cover in the UK for about £15-20.

If you don't want to or can't get your own card, you could get a card in your name on your DHs account and use that - they won't know or care that it's not a separate account from your DH - they just want to see a credit card with your name on it if it's you that is hiring the car.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Fri 15-Mar-19 13:20:33

We needed one when we booked a car in Italy but not in Greece or Turkey.

BlackCatSleeping Fri 15-Mar-19 13:24:35

Some people have genuine reasons for not having credit cards such as bankruptcy or being from another country.

I agree that if you google companies that will accept a debit card then some will.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in