Talk

Advanced search

Tips for Disneyland Paris in August please!

(16 Posts)
Lifeonmars77 Wed 13-Mar-19 11:21:27

My husband and I, along with our 7 year old DS, are planning a 2 night/3 day trip to DP in the first couple of weeks of August.

Any hotel recommendations? (can't afford the extortionate cost of the Disneyland Hotel itself).

Also do you have any other travel/accommodation/park tips you'd be willing to share?

Also maybe what you wish you'd known?

Thanks in advance flowers

OP’s posts: |
TheSconeOfStone Wed 13-Mar-19 21:05:33

We've been twice using annual passes, sadly live too far away to have got more use out of them. Can't help with DLP hotels as we refuse to stay anywhere we have to share a room with the DC as no-one gets any sleep (and we like to stay up with a glass of wine). First time we booked a caravan through canvas at Les Etangs Fleuris about 25 minutes away. We stayed in August and the outdoor pool was extremely welcome after days out in the sweltering August sun.

The second time we flew and stayed at the Adagio aparthotel close to the enormous Val D'Europe shopping centre with a massive hypermarket for self catering and loads of shops. There is a free shuttle bus to DLP and an indoor pool.

We booked private transfers from CDG airport which for 4 of us wasn't much more expensive than coach or train.

In the parks we took a picnic lunch and snacks (delicious French food from the Val D'Europe) and bought one meal out in DLP per day. We took loads of bottles of water the first time due to the heat, not realising there are water fountains you can fill up for free.

Get your first fastpass for the ride you really want asap as they run out. We spent ages planning using [ww.dlpguide.com] which had everything we needed to know. There isn't much I didn't know due to obsessive prepping smile.

TheSconeOfStone Wed 13-Mar-19 21:08:23

Does it have to be in first half of August? Late August weekdays are quieter as French holidays have ended. We went near August bank holiday weekend and it wasn't too bad at all queue wise.

Lifeonmars77 Thu 14-Mar-19 09:45:50

Thanks for your reply and for the info smile

It does have to be in the first two weeks of August unfortunately. With my DH's job, he gets his annual leave allocated to him so we don't have a choice with this one.

OP’s posts: |
Sleepthiefismyfavourite Thu 14-Mar-19 09:47:24

We are currently staying at the Centre parks in Paris, which includes a 2 day pass for Disney

ChicCroissant Thu 14-Mar-19 09:50:14

Be prepared to queue, it is a very popular place and very busy!

Have a look at the website and if there are any rides/character meet and greets that you want to do - they have shows as well which are fab (although I've never made it to any of them).

What kind of rides does your son like, or does he have a favourite Disney/Star Wars film?

HappySpade Thu 14-Mar-19 14:25:50

This was the best tip I heard from when I went in Dec'18: bring a lanyard with a pouch to hold your fast passes and tickets. There's quite a few usual blogs out there and here's one, although a little old, has great info Brogan Tate DLP

anniehm Thu 14-Mar-19 14:29:48

We stayed at sequoia lodge first time and Newport club second time, both were good and included an excellent breakfast in the price but I know that's changed. Val d'europe is close by and there's a variety of hotels there (non Disney so you can't get in as early). It's crazy busy, ridiculous queues etc but he'll love it. My DD's want to go again despite being adults!

anniehm Thu 14-Mar-19 14:33:08

I recommend the buffalo bill show btw and prebook all your dinners if they accept bookings as otherwise it's the busiest McDonald's in the world as your main option!

AnneOfCleavage Thu 14-Mar-19 14:47:17

I second pre booking meals. We did buffalo Bill for our first night and the food was basic but still fine. Unfortunately I am allergic to animals but thought as we were sat further back it wouldn't affect me too badly - boy was I wrong. Spent the whole 4 days all swollen up around my eyes and nose completely blocked and sinus headaches etc. The place is full of straw too so if any allergies at all then avoid, avoid, avoid.

We stayed at the Sequoia Lodge and loved it there as they have a swimming pool which we used one afternoon when DD was tired of the Park and queuing. I remember asking if it was okay to use our waterproof camera as no one else was in the pool to be told by the French attendant "It's France, it's no problem" 😂

Realmumstuff Thu 14-Mar-19 15:23:13

We stayed In Hotel New York on the park. It was fab! Big beds and good breakfast!

Tip if you stay on the park....Disneyland Paris rides etc open early just for those who are staying in one of the hotels in the resort. We also got upgraded to the dining package which meant we could eat in most of the restaurants plus you get a snack in the middle of the day.

Don't know if they do them in August but the fireworks/light show they do late at night is amazing!

purpleboy Thu 14-Mar-19 15:43:40

Depending on your budget the Disney hotels will offer better value for money. If you stay in a standard room it usually includes breakfast, half board is worth upgrading too as it work out much cheaper, especially if you use it for dinner, a lot of guests we see make rolls from breakfast, ham cheese etc... and take them into the park for lunch, this also saves ££££s and nothing is cheap in the parks or village!
If you stay in a club room you get 1 fastpass per person per day, and if your budget allows a suite will give you unlimited fastpass which means no queuing for the bigger rides and ultimately getting more out of your holiday, well worth the money for us.
I did a lot of research on TripAdvisor, there are so many helpful tips, and you can download the Disney app which gives you actual queue times and times of shows etc.. making it easier to plan your day to get the most out of it.
The Disney hotels also have meet and greets with characters in the mornings and the queues are a lot shorter than in the park. (1 hour average queue time for park meet and greet)
You will usually have to call to get prices for suites as they don't tend to advertise them on the sites, but as a very rough guide it's about £1000 more for a suite.

purpleboy Thu 14-Mar-19 15:44:26

Also club rooms and suite get complimentary snacks and drinks in the afternoon.

babysharkah Thu 14-Mar-19 17:53:28

Be prepared to spend 90% of your time queuing, and for the best rides to break down, a lot (crush's coaster in particular, we never got on it) slinky dog broke down when we were on it, and we queued for 2.5 hours for the studio tour. The food is shite, particularly in Chez Remy and Auberge De Cendrillion. And seriously ££££. The park as a whole is really run down.

That said, my 7 year olds didn't notice any of that apart fro the queues and had a magical time. Their faces made it worth it.

Desperateforspring Thu 14-Mar-19 23:11:49

OP if you can get annual pass, magic plus do. . you'll save a small fortune.
Excellent off site hotels, most have free shuttles , you will get free parking, money off meals, special entrance... waltz through whilst hotel guest's queuing too get in park, discount in shops.

Stay near Val d Europe shopping center... fabulous shops, food outlets... train station ... can't go wrong!

Desperateforspring Thu 14-Mar-19 23:15:34

Baby's we went last year and the park wasn't run down at all, in fact it's all been spruced up for anniversary. Studios park isn't great or pretty and you need to strategize to get on rides. Workout how to use fast passes and get a flow.

I always advise annual pass because it's best option and you need too have a practise run to get bearings really.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in