Talk

Advanced search

Ryan air cabin bag

(25 Posts)
saskia76 Sat 09-Mar-19 20:14:41

Any travelled with Ryan Air recently? They have changed the size of the free carry on bag from 55cm to 40cm. I was just wondering how strict they are with sizing. I have a small case thats 42cm. Will they be strict on the extra 2cm?

OP’s posts: |
Onceuponamidnight Sun 10-Mar-19 09:16:34

I've just been searching threads for advice about this... Watching with interest!

Onceuponamidnight Sun 10-Mar-19 09:20:04

From what I can see, the cheapest alternative is to pay £30 to take on two cabin bags? I really just need the one 'old standard size' cabin bag, i.e. 55x40x20cm... Does anyone know if there's a way of taking this on more cheaply than the £30 fee which comes with "priority" which I really don't need..?

Onceuponamidnight Sun 10-Mar-19 09:20:50

Sorry to hijack your thread OP!

EveryDayIsLikeMonday Sun 10-Mar-19 11:02:54

I though priority plus cabin case was around £6 pp each way? Plus extra to book seats.
Op, not sure how strict they are on bag size now, but I'm flying them in a couple of weeks so will see then. I would assume that if your bag fits in the 'sizer ' it'll be fine.

Ninninannanoonoo Sun 10-Mar-19 11:06:42

If your bag will fit under the seat in front then you will be fine. If it doesn't then they used to put it in the hold for free but this is the info I got in a email this week

"All passengers on your booking can bring one small personal bag on board (max 40cm x 20cm x 25cm) that must fit under the seat in front of them.
Please note: If they bring a wheelie bag to the gate or if their small bag is too big to fit in the bag sizer, they'll be charged a fee of €25"

Ninninannanoonoo Sun 10-Mar-19 11:11:12

Posted too soon - you can also opt to pay for extra cabin baggage but you have to do this in advance.

"Priority & 2 Cabin Bags
Allows you to avail of the Priority queue and it's the only way to bring 2 bags into the cabin, 1 which must fit under the seat in front of you and the other (max 10kg, a small wheelie bag) which can be stored in the overhead locker.
Add Priority & 2 Cabin Bags from €8"

The priority queue is now always much longer than the non-priority cheapskates (like me!) who prefer to sit in comfort until it is time to board. They call the priority boarders first but IME all that means is that you end up standing around for ages - and with Ryanair this can sometimes mean outside in the rain - or you get onto the transfer bus first but then wait there until all the other passengers are boarded.

needthisthread Sun 10-Mar-19 11:13:46

If it's too big it won't fit in the tester cage at check in. Don't risk it.

GreyGardens88 Sun 10-Mar-19 11:16:20

I went away in January and picked the priority option with 2 cabin bags. I'm going to Berlin at easter for a few days and just chose the 1 small cabin back option. I'm thinking of just taking a rucksack, I haven't thought to measure it yet confused

noenergy Sun 10-Mar-19 11:22:48

Yes booking priority is the cheapest way round this. I wouldn't risk it.

Starisnotanumber Sun 10-Mar-19 11:36:55

When you book you can check in a small cabin size suitcase. On our recent trip it was 10.00 each way. This was worth it to us because we could bring liquids like suncream without having to buy them there. It's a 10kg bag with the usual Ryanair sizing strictly carried out.

buttermilkwaffles Sun 10-Mar-19 12:31:17

My bag is about 2cm over in depth but I have never had a problem taking it on board, however it is a rucksack (Osprey Farpoint 45) so could be squashed into the holder if it had to (assuming it was not too full or if it was I would just take some clothes out and wear them!). But I have never been asked to use the sizer.

Obviously with a hard case you could not do this so you take a risk but I have only ever once seen someone told they cannot take their bag on board and in that case it was obviously oversized just by looking at it and probably would not have fitted in the overhead lockers. I have seen lots of people seriously taking the piss with bags that are clearly oversized or large extra carrier bags etc and they have still been let on.

Not sure where you get £30 from as I think that priority boarding is £8 or £10 if added after booking. It's actually the cheapest option (apart from only taking one tiny understated bag, which is free but not very practical!), about £2 less than checking in a 10kg bag.

buttermilkwaffles Sun 10-Mar-19 12:40:03

underseat bag, not understated. Also I see it actually varies from 6 to 10 /pounds euros for priority boarding not always 8.

"Priority & 2 Cabin Bags costs between €/£6 to €/£10, and is non-refundable. It also cannot be switched to other bag options."

As a previous poster says there is not really any advantage to boarding first if anything you just spend longer standing outside in hot sun / cold / rain or sat on a hot plane, but there is nothing to stop you boarding last if you want to even if you have priority boarding. The only advantage is you don't have to wait for your luggage at the other end, but as you have to pay for hold or cabin luggage now you may as well choose priority as it's slightly cheaper.

buttermilkwaffles Sun 10-Mar-19 12:47:52

Also, OP they changed the size of the small (under seat) bag by slightly increasing the size limit not decreasing it. The bigger cabin baggage size remains the same.

"Passengers who have purchased "Priority & 2 Cabin Bags" or Plus/Flexi/Family ticket or connecting flight ticket can bring 1 small cabin bag which must fit under the seat in front of you (40cm x 20cm x 25cm). Priority customers can also bring an additional 10kg bag on board which must fit into the baggage sizer (not exceeding 10kg and dimensions 55cm x 40cm x 20cm) and will be stored in the overhead locker."

saskia76 Sun 10-Mar-19 13:17:12

Thanks everyone. Ive booked with on the beach and they want £20 per person for the priority boarding and bigger hand luggage. Not sure if i can buy this through Ryan air cheaper? Will look into it, if not i think ill just invest in some rucksacks. Don't think i should chance it for the extra 2cm.

OP’s posts: |
starzig Sun 10-Mar-19 13:25:40

Just put it in hold. More convenient and saves embarrassment.

Starisnotanumber Sun 10-Mar-19 13:40:14

Do you all need hold luggage. If you can alter your booking with Ryanair you can put any number of hold bags. Maybe just 1 25kg bag and none priority boarding would be cheaper. Usually priority boarding is below 10 pounds if you book yourself. I wouldn't risk the size though they were using the sizer at Manchester last time we flew but not on the way back weirdly

Onceuponamidnight Sun 10-Mar-19 14:16:21

This is what I'm being offered on their webpage. We're travelling as one adult and two children so only need one bigger bag, but it looks like I can't pay less than £30.

Onceuponamidnight Sun 10-Mar-19 14:17:47

That's interesting star. I can't see how to do that, but will try to find a way of altering the booking for just one bag.

Starisnotanumber Sun 10-Mar-19 14:28:15

Try this go to manage my booking it should show names of all people traveling go to add bags just tick one name then do same for return flight. If it's Ryanair the onboard bags are tiny but you can take on duty free items. We go to Smith's or boots usually get a meal deal to save money and fill bags from there with stuff we've taken through scanner in normal carrier bags

Starisnotanumber Sun 10-Mar-19 14:35:39

If the costs showing on your photo is for everyone for both ways I would go for it it will cost around 25.00 for a single check in bag each way. If it's 30.00 per person then maybe try a single large case.

franke Sun 10-Mar-19 14:36:07

Last time I flew back from stansted they were charging people who were obviously taking the piss with their carry on small bag, but weren't being super strict. As a pp said, the best thing is to have a squashable bag which you can stuff into the sizer if necessary. Even if I pay for priority, I don't bother to go in the queue - I'm usually the last person to board and have still managed to find a space for my second, larger bag in the overhead lockers.

Onthebrink87 Sun 10-Mar-19 14:47:07

Flew with Ryanair last weekend and people had bags as big as regular suitcases and nothing was weighed or measured at all!

Onceuponamidnight Sun 10-Mar-19 14:54:32

Thanks star-studded that's helpful. They'll let me book just one hold bag for £30, but for an extra cabin bag it has to be applied to all members of the group, so £10x3.

Onceuponamidnight Sun 10-Mar-19 14:59:48

Sorry keep missing messages whilst navigating around Ryanair's website! It's £30 each way for that screenshot, so I might just understuff three slightly bigger rucksacks and squish them in if asked to. Thank you for all of your advice flowers

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in