Talk

Advanced search

Best city breaks please?

(19 Posts)
Helpsortshit Sat 23-Feb-19 23:14:38

I would like to book a city break for myself and DH but I have no idea where to go! Not uk or Ireland. Not Florence or Paris or Barcelona either as we have been there.any suggestions/experiences??thank you

OP’s posts: |
Cyberworrier Sat 23-Feb-19 23:21:50

I love Rome, so much culture, museums, churches with interesting artwork and history and then wandering about, gelato, amazing food. Trastavere is a lovely area. Walking along the Tiber- just beautiful.

squee123 Sat 23-Feb-19 23:35:06

I agree, Rome is beautiful for all the reasons above.

Other city breaks I have loved recently have been:

- Vienna - a beautiful city with lots of amazing architecture and culture. Everything in the centre is very walkable and we had some amazing food. It is impeccably clean and well kept in the centre.

- We also loved Porto, gorgeous food, lovely people, interesting history and suprisignly cheap.

- Stockholm - very interesting mix of old and new, a wander round Gamla Stan is a must as is getting one of the water taxis to one of the many beautiful islands that surround the city. On the downside it is very expensive.

CherryPavlova Sat 23-Feb-19 23:51:09

We thought Valencia was nicer than Barcelona. Lovely cycle through park, past opera house to beach. A really historic centre but on much smaller scale to Barcelona.

Budapest was great fun. Loved the geothermal baths both the tourist ones and the very post communist ones. Plenty to see and do. The Grand Synagogue was a fascinating insight into history. Parliament buildings were beautiful. Hop on hop off bus was best we’ve ever used.

Reykjavik is very other worldly. Glacier snowmobiles, driving through national park to geysers, swimming in public outdoor pools in a -23 blizzard, eating whale and, of course, the Aurora. Brilliant walkable city with a real sense of adventure if you step off tourist trail.

Salzburg was huge fun. Very, very pretty. Listening to Mozart in a hall where Mozart himself had played was good. A cable car up into the Alps for hot chocolate and streusel after a mountain walk was heavenly. Schnapps tasting, Sacher torte, a Palace with trick water fountains. We laughed a lot. Salzburg cards were good value.

Nomad86 Sat 02-Mar-19 13:52:35

Stockholm is great for museums, but expensive.

Lisbon is much cheaper and has great food, architecture, weather.

Verona is beautiful and you can easily take the train to Lake Garda for the day.

Moscow was surprisingly enjoyable, and just fun to wander around. I imagine At Petersburg would be similar although I've never been.

Marrakech old town is fascinating and there are lots of authentic riads to stay in if you're looking for something a bit more exotic.

Reykjavik is nice, and there are some great excursions, like seeing the northern lights, snowmobiling on a glacier, seeing geysers, blue lagoon. Expensive though.

AnyFucker Sat 02-Mar-19 13:53:36

Krakov

CasaIsaElena Sat 02-Mar-19 13:56:47

Seville is beautiful in Spring

SJane48S Sat 02-Mar-19 15:33:01

How long/short is your mini break & what time of year? My favourites would be Nice/Prague/Stockholm/Istanbul/Rome but which one would depend on what time of year you’re going!

LoniceraJaponica Sat 02-Mar-19 15:35:44

Agree with the above. Also Venice and Bruges

Helpsortshit Sat 02-Mar-19 15:51:49

5/6 days in April @SJane48S

OP’s posts: |
SJane48S Sat 02-Mar-19 16:22:24

Ok! I’d probably cut out Nice (better in summer) but Istanbul/Rome/Stockholm are all good in Spring & you’d miss the summer heat. As pp’s have said, Stockholm is cheap to get too but it’s very expensive but if you have the budget, great! Rome/Venice/Verona would all be lovely & less packed than the summer when walking through heat & crowds is grim, particularly in Venice. Bruges is very pretty - it is small though & 5/6 days might be too much unless you combined it with Ghent. We went to Carcasonne last Easter for 5 days - beautiful old medieval city in the South of France. The weather was a bit grim but defo a really romantic city to wander round. 5 days with a day trip out to Toulouse was enough.

reluctantbrit Sun 03-Mar-19 10:17:54

Rome is nice at this time of year.

Other cities we loved were Stockhold (pricey for eating out) and Prague.

Vienna is lovely, Berlin is worth thinking about.

If you brave trains or a hire car in a different country I would look for a city with things to do around it. How about Munich? Easy to go around and lots of things to visit.

chatwoo Sun 10-Mar-19 03:51:57

Istanbul. I've been a couple of times and the cliche 'East meets West' is really interesting every time. Plenty of flights to choose from, fairly easy to get around - good food, amazing sights.

MinnieMountain Sun 10-Mar-19 07:30:10

Rome.
Munich.

SheWoreBlueVelvet Sun 10-Mar-19 07:58:39

Definitely do Rome. Made for a city break.Cheap flights, one rate taxi transfer, everything is beeautiful, lots to see/ do/ look at, fun to get lost in, tons of great hotels, fab food...

I would also recommend going back to city you like a couple of times. Get to know it. Takes the pressure off having to see everything so you can spend time doing couple stuff; sex, eating out and taking your time in the morning etc .
I wasn’t keen on Barcelona the first couple of times but I’ve found a couple of great hotels that have the mix of pool, rooms and optimum location, some nice places to eat and shop and I can just go and enjoy the weather.

BeardedMum Sun 10-Mar-19 08:05:34

Venice as it’s not so crowded at Easter time. Also second Moscow and St Petersburg is beautiful but you need visa

Duchessofealing Sun 10-Mar-19 08:11:41

Definitely Venice - especially at that time of year. Listen to Vivaldi performed in a church, mooch around the islands, have extortionate coffee in St Mark’s Square and linger over the beautiful architecture. Plenty of cheaper local restaurants too - it’s heavenly.

Duchessofealing Sun 10-Mar-19 08:12:35

If you’re going at Easter, Rome will be heaving.

shartfantastic Sun 10-Mar-19 08:38:01

We did Venice around about this time last year and loved it. Also Amsterdam is lovely, and everyone I know who's been to Seville has really enjoyed it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in