Talk

Advanced search

5 Days in New York

(9 Posts)
pilates Sat 23-Feb-19 17:32:51

DD 17 is going to New York with college. Would it be better to get her dollars or a pre paid travel card? If a travel card, which one and where do you get them from? Is a Broadway show worth looking in to?

OP’s posts: |
AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 23-Feb-19 19:15:07

Practically all the pre paid dollar cards have an age restriction of 18 or over so she will unfortunately not be able to have one of these.

Does she have her own bank account?.

How long is she in nyc for?.

MozzchopsThirty Sat 23-Feb-19 19:41:44

Try Revolut for a card
They're excellent
My dd had one and you can top it up direct from an account of your choice

I use it on every holiday now, Asia, Europe and the US

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 23-Feb-19 20:09:24

Unfortunately revolut has an age restriction of 18 so ops daughter cannot apply for this card.

pilates Sat 23-Feb-19 22:21:05

She is there for 5 days. Yes she had a building society account with a debit card and she thinks she can use it.

OP’s posts: |
feltcarrot Sun 24-Feb-19 07:42:18

We took the DC 18&20 to see Chicago in NY last year, we all loved it.

JenniferJareau Sun 24-Feb-19 07:49:12

I'd get her dollars and ensure she could get money out of her account while over there if needed.

I went and didn't go to a show but theatre really isn't my thing. I would suggest that any things she really, really does want to do she gets there for opening time. Tourist attractions get so crowded best to go there early if she wants to avoid the crowds.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 24-Feb-19 08:36:35

She should be able to use her debit card in the US (she should check with the bank re fees incurred for doing so) but she should also take some cash with her too. US hotel rooms often have in room safes so her valuables can be placed in this.

Meretricious Sun 24-Feb-19 08:38:53

She needs to check the bank fees as she could get stung if she uses it for small stuff as a card.

www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money/

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in