Talk

Advanced search

New York or Seville in March?

(14 Posts)
syme Sat 02-Feb-19 14:24:24

DP and I both really like museums and just generally chilling. We love walks too, just a meander.

We have up to a week in March, and I have £200 worth of flight vouchers to use. Where do you reckon?

New York sounds more fun and exciting but sounds very £
We considered Israel too.

Seville looks pretty, but will there be enough to do there for 5days-1 week. Is it that cheap, it doesn't seem to be based on airbnb prices.

OP’s posts: |
Starisnotanumber Sat 02-Feb-19 14:42:20

Could do Seville and Granada if you wanted to get a 2 centre holiday it's only an hour or so between them on a really cheap direct coach. You can get the Alhambra in as well then which is beautiful and really worth visiting.
Which airline are your vouchers with?

syme Sat 02-Feb-19 14:47:18

They're with Expedia. Yes Granada looks nice too!

LizzieSiddal Sat 02-Feb-19 14:47:19

Oh Dh and I are considering Saville in March and have been wondering if we can fill 5 days.

I’ve been to NY and would never go back. Absolutely hated it for some reason, so loud and dirty. (And I love London and go 6/7 times a year for short breaks.)

AngelsWithSilverWings Sat 02-Feb-19 15:01:18

Seville is a beautiful city and the tapas restaurants are amazing. We filled two days without visiting any of the museums ( the kids would not have made museum visiting much fun sadly) didn't find it overly expensive - we found a nice one bed apartment right in the middle of the old town for about £100 a night on booking.com

New York is also fantastic and for a 5 day trip I'd probably opt for that.

EdWinchester Sat 02-Feb-19 15:03:42

They are both great, we were in Seville quite recently - but I would always go to New York. I never tire of it.

BarbaraofSevillle Sat 02-Feb-19 16:33:44

Seville and Granada are 3 hours apart by coach, Cordoba is less than an hour from Seville by train.

Masses to do - we had 4 days in Seville as part of a tour of Andalucia and it wasn't enough. Accomodation isn't cheap, but I think it is cheaper than New York.

Starisnotanumber Sat 02-Feb-19 16:51:56

Sorry got my timing between cities wrong. If you decide to go to Granada pre-book tickets to the Alhambra as soon as you can. 14 euro from official site it gets filled up quite quickly.

buttermilkwaffles Sat 02-Feb-19 18:09:17

Seville should be significantly cheaper than New York, I paid under £30 a night for a 2 bedroom apartment in the Old Town (Barrio Santa Cruz) last year although in January. If you cannot find anywhere in the Old Town, try Macarena just north of it or Triana just across the river, both are less touristy, more local areas which are great fun to explore with good places to eat and drink, markets etc but are still within walking distance of the Old Town.

redyawn Sat 02-Feb-19 19:06:05

There's so much more to do in NY, but as others have said, is is very expensive.

justtakingabath Sat 02-Feb-19 19:08:12

I did go quite a few years ago to Seville but remember it being very cheap to eat out and drink etc. Very reasonable, and very very beautiful. Gorgeous place.

syme Sat 02-Feb-19 19:42:51

Hmm deciding on holidays is so difficult! Thanks for your input.
When we go to Spain, it's always in August when it's hot hot and we sit out in the evening with wine. Looks like the weather will be about 19/20c in Seville in March, so deffo not warm enough to sit out. Perhaps at lunch time.

We like New York, but it is almost prohibitively expensive.

EdWinchester Sat 02-Feb-19 19:46:28

Seville is mega cheap to eat out. I don't think we spent more than £100 on any meal (for 2) - and we went to some nice places.

DreamingofSunshine Sun 03-Feb-19 22:43:18

syme I went to Seville in March 2017 and it was 29c! I was pregnant and spent the whole time in cafes rather than sightseeing as I was too hot.

Both NYC and Seville are great but very different. Lots of day trips/two centre breaks you can do from Seville. For NYC, staying in Jersey City or Long Island City is much cheaper but a very quick train ride to manhattan. It depends what you are looking for.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in