Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Could I get some advice about flying please.

(37 Posts)
Nbg Mon 02-Jul-07 12:19:20

So we're off to Europa most likely at the end of this month.
We've never flown or been abroad with the kids so havent a clue about procedures with flying now.

Could anyone help me with the following;

What do I do about taking bottles on the plane? Do I have to make them up beforehand and try them before I get on the plane?

Will ds (10 months) have to sit on our knees on the flight?

What happens with the pushchair? Do we hand it in when we check in our luggage? (we're going to get a very very cheap light stroller)

Also does anyone know how long the flight will be from Manchester to Lahr?

And finally, how can I calm myself on the flight? I really dont want the kids to see me bawling my eyes out through take of and landing.

bookwormmum Mon 02-Jul-07 12:26:38

When I flew with my dd on BA (aged 2.7 at the time) she had her own seat (which I had to pay for) and her stroller was taken from us at the plane door - we didn't get it back until luggage reclaim the other end as they'll shove it in the hold. This was back in 2003 though so I'm not up to speed on baby necessities on board planes now.

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 02-Jul-07 12:41:21

The baby milk is not subject to the liquids rule currently.

However, the amount must be sufficient for your trip only. You may be asked to taste baby milk and food by a security officer. There are no limits on powder formula and water is available in shops after security and airlines can provide water during the flight.

Your 10 month old will indeed be seated on your lap for the duration of the flight.

You will be able to take the pushchair up to the deaprture gate. You will be able to take it through the security channels although they will ask you to unfold it. It should be clearly labelled (also tie something old and inexpensive around the handle for easier identification).

Use Rescue remedy, certainly not alcohol at all to calm your nerves. You'll be okay.

Nbg Mon 02-Jul-07 12:44:12

Right so could I take on bottles with just water in and keep the powder seperate so I can make on the plane?

I think I could get away with just 1 bottle for the flight but would have to get a bottle of water on the plane so I can make one up after the flight.

Anyone know how long the flight will be?

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 02-Jul-07 12:46:12

Is Lahr in Germany?
Would guess around one and a half to two hours duration.

You can buy water once you are through security.

www.baa.com is the website with all the up to date information on it.

chopster Mon 02-Jul-07 12:49:13

you can always buy some ready mixed milk from boots once you are through security to save yourself the hassle.
If you put in a request, you may get your pushchair back upon leaving the plane. Depends how helpful they are feeling.
Unless you pay for a seat and take a ariline approved car seat, you will have the baby on your lap, fasted by a belt that goes aroudn them, and loops onto yours.
For the nerves, try rescue remedy and don't look out the window.

mojotalking Mon 02-Jul-07 12:51:09

Hi,

We flew a few weeks ago with our two DDs.
We were allowed to take baby food on the plane, but I had to dip a finger in and taste it before it was allowed through.

Have a look here for offical airport security info
www.dft.gov.uk/transportforyou/airtravel/airportsecurity

Your little one will be termed an infant and won't have her own seat until she is two I believe, so she'll be on your lap. The onboard staff give you special strap belts to put around their waists.

They normally ask you at check in whether you want to keep the pushchair with you or not. If it's a big aiport I would advise you to keep it as I've never come across an airport trolley with a baby seat. You are given a tag for the pram and then you hand it in at the boarding gate.

All I can say on the nerves is that my DH has improved laods re flying since we had our kids as he has to 'be strong' for them. You may find that with all the distactions going on that you don't get as worried as usual.

I hope that you enjoy your holiday!

mumbleboo Mon 02-Jul-07 12:53:05

Hi we're flying to hungary for the first time with DS (15months) this week. There are a few old threads on this so you can search the archive for them, but the stuff i have found out is:
-you can take you pushchair right up the plane door, although they do x ray it at security so make sure the baby can come out of it easily. Also some airlines you collect it at the steps when you come off the plane and some at baggage reclaim so ask the staff.
-if you've bought your baby a seat on the plane then you can (although check with your airline) take a car seat onto the plane and strap the baby in - maybe a bit easier with a little one.
- pushchairs and car seats do not count towards your baggage allowance and do not incur excess baggage charges - not with easyjet anyway, and if they don't charge doubt if anyone more expensive will!
- baby milk etc is allowed but they will probably ask you to test it before going on.
- if you go to the gatwick website there is a film about BAA airport security procedures(relevant for all UK airports i think) you can watch - it's only 5mins long but really calmed me down and made things clear. http://www.gatwickairport.com and click on the security button at the bottom of the screen, there is a whole load of info and links to films, checklists etc.
- Also i am so frightened of planes it's unreal - i have to go on this flight if i could stay home i would! I am going to the doctor today to see if i can be prescribed some valium for there (and back!). Some people say rescue remedy (available from boots, a herbal thing) is great and other people have said that just having to be in charge of the baby - playing with and keeping them calm - is enough to distract you from your own worry.
-Make sure you are either bottle/breast feeding baby or if old enough that they have a lollipop to stop their ears popping cos that's why so many babies cry on planes!

Hope that is helpful for you - i definitely don't know everything cos this is only the second time i've flown but my terror has caused me to research and list make like mad! Hope it goes well and you have a good holiday!

mosschops30 Mon 02-Jul-07 12:57:43

Rescue remedy for your nerves - great stuff i tend to drink it straight from the bottle

little one will be on your lap but if your lucky it might be a quiet flight and after take-off you may be able to get a seat with a spare next to you for your little one.
Keep your pushchair they will take it off you when you board

Nbg Mon 02-Jul-07 13:03:38

This is all really helpful, thanks

So basically after check in, I can go to Boots at duty free and buy some cartons of milk to fill bottles and I'll just have to drink a bit. (will get dh to do that bit)

Pushchair can come right up to the departure gate (godsend!)

Fingers crossed ds will sit still on the plane!

Will have to try rescue remedy again. I tried it the last time we went away it had no effect. Funny because dh accidently smashed a bottle of the stuff this morning.

larlylou Mon 02-Jul-07 13:08:34

When I take my two with me when we have to fly anywhere I have always done cloud presents for them. I buy something small (a book, some pencils, colouring book, toy cars, etc), wrap it up and give it to them when they are on the plane. They love it as its an extra treat and it keeps them quiet for longer as its something new to play with.

cleaninglady Mon 02-Jul-07 13:13:59

Hi Nbg - I won too !! am very excited but nervous as havent flown with my 2 dc's before so a bit about the thought of it!! also my two havent got passports yet so need to get that sorted pronto! I will wave if i see you
larlylo - good tip ! I will take something for them to do!
apols for hijack

Nbg Mon 02-Jul-07 13:27:50

OH BUGGERY BOLLOCKS!

I HAVE NO PASSPORT!!!!!

shit shit shit shitty shit.

meowmix Mon 02-Jul-07 13:32:07

get the forms online and either queue at a passport office or beg plead for a speedy renewal via the post,

Nbg Mon 02-Jul-07 13:33:26

I never changed it from when we got married and its expired now anyway.
Plus the kids dont have them.

Oh god how stupid am I.

ruddynorah Mon 02-Jul-07 13:33:40

take a box of snacks to amuse your 10 month old. i took dd on a flight at 11 months, took a lunchbox full of dried fruit, biscuits, little sandwiches and babybels. kept her quiet all the way. didn't bother with milk, just took water.

chopster Mon 02-Jul-07 13:44:28

yikes, you have left it late. You can go to the office and get yours, but I'm not sure about the kids, if they are first ones.

you buy milk after security, so you won't need to taste it.

cleaninglady Mon 02-Jul-07 13:46:08

im just looking up passport info now
try this website for info - looks like check and send is best (takes about 2 weeks) expensive though

http://www.passport.gov.uk/fees.asp

chopster Mon 02-Jul-07 13:46:08

info about fast track services here

larlylou Mon 02-Jul-07 13:50:42

I know it doesn't always happen but when my dd was 5 weeks old I had to get a passport for her urgently and after looking at all the options we decided to snail mail it (we filled the forms out and paid for the p.o to check them first). We received it back within the week of sending it (and this was end July for August trip).

Nbg Mon 02-Jul-07 13:56:53

Just called the passport office and its going to cost £80 per child and £91 for me

Theres no way we can afford that atm

They've told me that atm its taking over 4 weeks for passports to be returned and we were wanting to go at the end of this month as thats when dh had his holiday from work.

saffymum Mon 02-Jul-07 13:56:55

Haven't read other posts but:

Get yourself Rescue Remedy and take that before you go on the plane, its homeopathic, no side effects.

I suggest a dummy for the 10 mth old and I always give calpol 30 mins before the flight takes off and if its a long one more than 4 hours give 30 mins before decent as they struggle with air pressure. Give them a lollypop or a bottle to suck on to help equalise.

You can't take fluids on the plane other than what you prove your kid is going to drink it usually in front of them.

the 10 month old will go on your lap with a lap belt. Request a seat at the front near the bulkhead so you can have a bit more legroom if you want them to crawl on the floor.

You should be able to push the buggy right to the door of the plane, remember you will have to take everything off it and carry it so have it all in one bag. Make sure they put a tag on it and ask if its going in the hold (you'll get it back on the carosel) and see if they will put it inside the cabin so you can get it from the stewardess when you get off as you can't be sure how far it is to walk on the other side.

Have a nice trip!

cleaninglady Mon 02-Jul-07 13:58:47

the check and send service looks good and is a 2 weeks service so still some time - larlylou is that what you used ? the one where the post office check it? cannot beleive how expensive passports are though! £45child and £66/adult just for normal service

cleaninglady Mon 02-Jul-07 13:59:38

Nbg - what service is that?!!!! is that the fast track week service?

saffymum Mon 02-Jul-07 14:01:06

good luck with the PPT thing, sure you will sort it out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now