Talk

Advanced search

Tenby

(21 Posts)
Lifeisachallenge Sun 27-Jan-19 06:52:45

We are thinking of booking a week in Tenby in a cottage at the start of the summer holidays. We have never been but have heard good things. I am looking for some recommendations of things to do whilst we are there. Our children will be 10, 8 and 8. Our 8 year old has ASD and struggles if it is too busy. Any ideas would be welcomed as he is better if we have a plan.

OP’s posts: |
MissBattleaxe Sun 27-Jan-19 07:00:18

Tenby is a great choice and there's lots to do. There's Anna's Welsh Zoo, Heatherton Activity thingy, which is opposite the zoo, Caldey Island, and three beaches in Tenby. If you want somewhere quiet, look up Barafundle Bay. It's a hidden gem.

Snowy111 Sun 27-Jan-19 07:00:24

Love Tenby!

Beaches - there’s 3
Paddle boarding at saundersfoot
Manorbier castle - and the beach nearby
Stackpole

Lifeisachallenge Sun 27-Jan-19 07:18:09

Thank you...Our two girls would love paddle boarding and our son would love watching. They all adore animals and castles! I found a dinosaur theme park place when I was Googling...would they be to old? My son still loves dinosaurs.

Ricekrispie22 Sun 27-Jan-19 10:27:59

Blue Lagoon indoor water park has four flumes, a gentle lazy river, a wave pool with the added detail of a wave seat available, where disabled or less confident swimmers can just sit and experience the waves crashing past without actually being in the water. They have a calmer area for younger children or less confident swimmers and family changing rooms so it really caters for everybody. It’s in Narbeth about 20 minutes away. Narbeth is a lovely place to browse with some unique shops and artisan food producers.
Also at Narbeth is Oakwood Theme Park which is perfect for 10 and 8 year olds but may not be so good for children with ASD. There are some calmer attractions such as the boating lake and pirate ship.
Colby Woodland Garden is a lovely peaceful day out. Lots for the kids to explore - stepping stones, rope swings and den building. There’s a tea room on site.
Clerkenhill Adventure Farm has a crazy golf course and a frisbee golf course which we found great fun. There’s a large wooden adventure castle with lots of dens, bridges and slides, as well as a few pedal go karts and animals to feed.

CottonSock Sun 27-Jan-19 10:31:28

Folly farm is really good

CottonSock Sun 27-Jan-19 10:32:44

Good castles all around that area.
Boat to caldy etc. I think it sounds an ideal place for you

borntobequiet Sun 27-Jan-19 10:41:27

One of the nicest family holidays (I went with DS, DDIL and DGC) I’ve had was in a cottage in Tenby. Actually it was a terraced cottage right in the town, 5 min walk from South Beach, a little longer (but not much) to the other beaches and 1 min from Sainsbury’s. There was loads to do, though Folly Farm in a downpour isn’t my happiest memory, the noise of the rain was horrendous! That was 3 or 4 years ago, I’d love to go back but West Wales a bit far for some of the family.

Lifeisachallenge Sun 27-Jan-19 19:01:04

Thank you all. I certainly think it sounds perfect as there appears to be so much to do that our children will enjoy. I have found a cottage and booked it! I really appreciate your help. Thanks again.

EggysMom Sun 27-Jan-19 19:09:03

Folly Farm was great as there is an indoor funfair, so our autistic son could ride and re-ride his favourites as many times as he wanted.

The dinosaur park is good. Quite a walk through the woods to see all the models (don't hold your breath, some are quite comical) but there's also swings, go-karts etc. We went on one of the hottest days of the year, it was baking, had a good time.

Oakwood, went a couple of years ago, didn't make it last year. Again, plenty of outdoor space and didn't feel 'busy'.

Lifeisachallenge Mon 28-Jan-19 14:57:05

EggysMom...your comment about re-riding made me laugh! That is just what my son makes me do. Thank you for the tips. It sound like we will have plenty to do.

MaMisled Mon 28-Jan-19 15:09:26

We had a family rule: never visit the same UK holiday destination twice because there are so many beautiful places here to see.

Then we discovered Tenby!

Hollowvictory Sun 03-Feb-19 16:32:14

Another vote for Folly farm. You can buy day tickets to the pool at bluestone

LoniceraJaponica Tue 12-Feb-19 00:04:15

We loved Tenby. The only negative we had was the apartment we had booked didn't have any parking, so we had to park in the big car park by the cottage hospital. One of us had to get up early every morning to feed the meter.

The plus was that the apartment was above the beach and easy walking distance to everywhere in town.

StopMakingAFoolOutofMe Tue 12-Feb-19 00:11:16

I'm local to Tenby and I can't stand the place!

However, there are some nice areas surrounding Tenby.

For things to do, Folly Farm is fab. Great zoo, lovely indoor vintage funfair and lots of different playparks.

Bluestone is nice for a swim. Busy though.

The Dinosaur Park is good for little ones, get there early to beat the queues as they don't run the rides very efficiently.

Dont touch Oakwood with a barge pole. Read the reviews on Trip Advisor. The bad ones are all true. It's well known locally that it's a pile of shite.

Heatherton has some fun activities and you don't pay to get in, only for what you do, but it can be expensive. The escape rooms are fun.

Anna's Welsh Zoo is crap.

StopMakingAFoolOutofMe Tue 12-Feb-19 00:13:40

Just re-read your initial post. If your 8yo struggles with busy places, definitely avoid Tenby in the summer holidays! It'd absolutely rammed with tourists and drunken groups and is horrendously busy.

Pieceofpurplesky Tue 12-Feb-19 00:37:12

Folly Farm
Bosheston Lily ponds
Just being on the beaches in Tenby
Calldy Island

Have been going for years - a lot of the 'drunken gangs' no longer go. It used to be stag and hen central but it's cheaper to go abroad nowadays.

I love it

StopMakingAFoolOutofMe Tue 12-Feb-19 07:21:46

Really? All the local "drunken gangs" absolutely still go. It's the only place they can go really, where there are multiple pubs in a small area.

BuggertheTabloids Tue 12-Feb-19 07:32:17

I am shamelessly following as we are going in summer half term! Can't wait, the kids are so excited to be going to the beach as we live right in the middle of the country. Thanks for all the tips!

LoniceraJaponica Tue 12-Feb-19 19:06:39

I assume you mean May spring bank holiday week Tabloids?

We went at that time of year. It was far less crowded than in the summer. There were no stag and hen parties either. The first half of the week was chilly and rainy, then the last two days were boiling hot beach weather. I ended up buying a bikini because I hadn't brought one with me.

BuggertheTabloids Wed 13-Feb-19 09:59:02

Yes Lonicera that's right. I know we are taking a risk with the weather but I am hopeful we can find something to do if it rains!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in