Talk

Advanced search

Booster seats .. what's your rationale for having a high back booster / not high-back booster?

(21 Posts)
Twiglett Sun 01-Jul-07 17:38:10

we've got high back .. DS is 6 .. can't see him just being in a booster on its own but most of his friends are

what am I missing .. or am I super-protectively uptight?

McDreamy Sun 01-Jul-07 17:39:48

I think it's law now isn't it, up to a certain age/height they have to be in high backed booster and then in the smaller ones. DD in a high backed one and will be for a good few years. Maybe it's just the law here in Cyprus.

purpleturtle Sun 01-Jul-07 17:40:15

Have 2 highback boosters, which means dd (6) and ds1(4.5) can swap sides in the car/fight over who's sitting where.

If they fall asleep they don't keel over, although with a stage 1 seat in the middle they won't go far.

Think I'll keep it like that till dd works out it could be different.

purpleturtle Sun 01-Jul-07 17:40:54

I think by 6 they'd be all right on just the cushion though, wouldn't they? Won't do them any harm being in the highback longer, I'm sure.

McDreamy Sun 01-Jul-07 17:52:54

here

says high back boosters from 15 - 22kg (approx 6 years) so legally he can go in one but my plan is to keep DD in her high backed one for as long as possible

FluffyMummy123 Sun 01-Jul-07 17:53:35

Message withdrawn

McDreamy Sun 01-Jul-07 17:59:03

How old are they?

DoubleBluff Sun 01-Jul-07 18:11:26

DS1 is 6 has just booster cushion.
Ds2 is 4 has a high back booster, I like this as he usualy falls asleep on long journesys so is more comfy.
I would prefer it if DS1 stillused his high back but he wanted to be like all his friends.

SoupDragon Sun 01-Jul-07 18:15:44

Put them on a normal one and see where the seatbelt cuts across their neck. A high backed one lowers this so the belt won't garrotte them in an accident.

mamazon Sun 01-Jul-07 18:16:04

ds is 6 and has ahigh back.

he had it prior to the law change. i think they are just safer than the normal boostyer seat. the idea of a booster seat is so that they are able to fit the seat belt better, with a high back they get the extra side impact protection and the seat belt is adjusted by the actual seat.

he wont be out of it until he is too big which i would hope wont be for at least a year or two

SoupDragon Sun 01-Jul-07 18:17:19

Both DSs (6 and 8) are in the high backed ones. DS1 doesn't really need one but as one has to sit in the front and they take it in turns it's easier to have them both the same. Personally "to be like all their friends" wouldn't cut any ice with me if the positioning of the seatbelt wasn't right.

Hulababy Sun 01-Jul-07 18:19:48

5yo DD has a booster with back. It brings the seat belt lower from her neck, and offers some side impact protection with the wings.

We do have a booster cushion only as well. This is for emergency trips if we have to take another child home, for use in the middle of a car (if travelling home with someone else) and main seat won't fit, or sometimes for taxi use as easier to carry aboiut with us. However it does have an extra strap on it with the neck adjuster thingy. It's a Britax one. Think this is a good compromise for one offs.

CaptainUnderpants Sun 01-Jul-07 18:19:56

My Ds 6.5 still has a high back seat , mainly because it allows the poistion of the seatbelt to be lower around the neck.

RubyRioja Sun 01-Jul-07 18:19:58

DD1 is 7 1/2 and still in her Britax Kid. I don't care what her friends do as the neck support is v important even at this age I think. Added benefit is support if she dozes off. I think the Kid is particulalry good as it actually curves around the neck. However this now appears to be discontinued.

Of course I have no doubt she will be socially dysfunctinal and uncool, but this is my hobby horse

Hulababy Sun 01-Jul-07 18:20:39

The law doesn't stipulate that backed boosters need to be used until a certain age. However there is a recommendation that theyshouldn't use a booster without back until 6 years old.

RubyRioja Sun 01-Jul-07 18:21:33

Looking at ROSPA, I think even if dd is old enough not to need one, she is not heavy enough - not like her mother!!!

foxinsocks Sun 01-Jul-07 18:21:50

mine tend to slide off the plain booster seats so are still in the high backs till they stop doing that (they wriggle too much - not mucking about, just wriggling)

McDreamy Sun 01-Jul-07 18:23:59

It does here in Cyprus! Loads of mums had to go out and buy new ones! Totally ironical as most cyps choose not to even strap their children into ANY car seat!! Anyway irrelevant to you guys unless you come here on holiday!

PestoMonster Sun 01-Jul-07 18:24:53

Mine are 10 & 8 and in high backed boosters which I bought last year to replace their old ones when the new law came in. They are much more comfortable than their previous car seats and the main thing is they have sides and a very good safety rating. I checked the Which reports first before I decided to get them. DD1 strictly speaking could probably get away with sitting in a normal seat now, but I feel the added protection the new seat provides is well worth having. Until she is too big for it of course.

LadyVictoriaOfCake Sun 01-Jul-07 18:26:54

dd1 is 7 and still on highback seat.

NannyL Sun 01-Jul-07 23:43:02

A high backed booster offers much more side impact protection than a booster cusion alone.
(well at least some brands of high backed booster do... concord lift, maxi cosi rodi, britax kid / higliner / evolva to name a few good ones)

In Junes which magazine (they always review car seats in june) it clearly stated that high backed boosters are so much safer and its much better for a child up til 36kg to be in a high backed booster than a booster cushion...

so 10 year olds are still much safer in them

(after 36kg its adult belt)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now