Talk

Advanced search

Cancelling First Choice holiday

(8 Posts)
aintkw Tue 22-Jan-19 14:30:42

We booked a holiday with First Choice last year on a low deposit of £100. We then had to move house and can’t really afford to go. I went into cancel the holiday and they want to charge the other £400 of what should have been a £500 deposit. Do I need to pay this? What would happen if I just didn’t pay them or cancel the holiday?

OP’s posts: |
WhoKnewBeefStew Tue 22-Jan-19 14:31:50

I did this with a holiday company TUI or one of the larger ones and I simply lost my deposit. I’d definite be questioning them on this

Quartz2208 Tue 22-Jan-19 14:41:48

They are perfectly entitled to ask its clearly part of their terms and conditions. If you cancel it of course you would be liable. If you didnt pay for it they would cancel it and you still would be liable (and potentially for more if they do it later or add fees(. Its the cancellation fee as part of the holiday

You cannot use travel insurance for simply deciding you dont want to go so that is out

So liability for it is definite - as to whether they would chase you (debt collection/bad credit etc) who knows they may send out letters or they may write it off

Quartz2208 Tue 22-Jan-19 14:42:38

whoknew - £500 is the deposit though the low deposit is for making spreading out the cost the T&C are very clear on that - cancellation involves the whole deposit

aintkw Tue 22-Jan-19 14:56:14

I was meant to pay the rest of the deposit at the start of December and they haven’t chased me for it yet confused

OP’s posts: |
alste Tue 22-Jan-19 14:57:31

Many years ago I booked a holiday with my friend on a low deposit with Thomas cook. she then decided she didn't want to go, we just never paid anything else, I had one letter saying I owed the remaining deposit, I never paid it they never chased it.

fuzzyduck1 Thu 24-Jan-19 14:28:26

If you’ve moved just don’t tell them you’ve moved

Lala241280 Mon 28-Jan-19 22:29:01

You should be able to transfer the holiday to another date save you loosing the money you have paid

Depending in the travel firm you booked with they can send to their legal department to collect outstanding money

Speak to the agent they may allow you to do a payment plan

Dont ignore the problem

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in