Advanced search

Driving in France - are headlight converters the only things we need?

(44 Posts)
3sEnough Sat 30-Jun-07 15:31:49

Hi - France driving virgin here and my dh keeps whittering on about headlamp converters. I've found them online with or without GB sticker. Do I need the converters, sticker and anything else or am I OK in my car as is? TIA

NoNickname Sat 30-Jun-07 15:33:25

AFAIK, you need:

- Headlight thingies;
- a GB sticker (or if it's on your license plate already, you don't need one);
- a warning triangle (you will probably not need it, but it's compulsory to have one in your car).

winestein Sat 30-Jun-07 15:34:09

I have a feeling it is also mandatory to carry a hazard warning triangle isn't it? Or am I dreaming that?

NoNickname Sat 30-Jun-07 15:34:12

Halfords do the converters plus a small magnetic GB sign for about £7 if I remember rightly.

winestein Sat 30-Jun-07 15:34:30

Nope! I wasn't dreaming it then

Tortington Sat 30-Jun-07 15:34:40

converters lol - don't spend lot o money you ca buy deflector sickers - ellw stickr that goes ovr you hadlight - usallyfrm the shop before you travel - also you ill need a triangl in case of emergency - apart from that i can't think of anythin else

Tortington Sat 30-Jun-07 15:35:24

jesus! stickers. that you stick on your headlamp.

policywonk Sat 30-Jun-07 15:35:42

Check with your breakdown insurance that you're covered abroad - it's worth being sure

Don't think you do need the warning triangle in France - think it's just the converters that are a legal requirement

3sEnough Sat 30-Jun-07 15:36:47

OH - you lot are just so great!!! I have a triangle in the car (came with the Audi - vorsprung durch techniq and all that!) but will get a sticky gb and sticky stickers for the lights. xxx

LIZS Sat 30-Jun-07 15:36:58

Warning triangle recommended see here

winestein Sat 30-Jun-07 15:37:05

I don't think she needs any Jesus! stickers to stick on her headlamps, does she Custy?

3sEnough Sat 30-Jun-07 15:38:01

policywonk - yup - rung re: the breakdown and need to upgrade it and have also had to get a 'green card' to make my insurance 'count' over there. Had never heard of it before that.

alipiggie Sat 30-Jun-07 15:39:06

Check online with the AA - it used to be that you needed replacement headlamp bulbs and first aid kit too - as well as the warning triangle. Do you still need a green card (insurance) for the car?? Check with your insurance firm.

alipiggie Sat 30-Jun-07 15:39:43

X-posts with 3sEnough.

winestein Sat 30-Jun-07 15:39:52

That's Lizs' link Ali - and very useful it is too Lizs

Enid Sat 30-Jun-07 15:42:58

a gb sticker isnt mandatory

my mum used to say people only put them on their cars to show off that they'd been abroad

policywonk Sat 30-Jun-07 15:43:04

Good to be sure about the insurance! We went two weeks without incident last summer, then DP drove into a kerb on literally the second-to-last day of the holiday and totalled one of the tyres, which we couldn't get off because we didn't have the right spanner or summat (I may not have been paying full attention at this point). Anyway, the £20 or so I'd paid for the extra breakdown insurance suddenly seemed like the best investment I'd ever made. (Never mind that half the men in the town were on their knees by the side of our car by the time the breakdown guys arrived. Lovely old gnarled French fellas. One of them practically twisted the nuts off with his bare hands. Grrr.)

3sEnough Sat 30-Jun-07 15:58:58

Thanks all - I've just checked with the aa and I need a GB sticker (dh not amused - doesn't like them!), didn't mention the green card although the insurance company sold me one (oh well - better safe than sorry) but did say that can't use headlamp stickers on xenons - have to ring dealer to get adjusted....grrrr.

stleger Sat 30-Jun-07 16:00:41

First Aid Kit maybe? Check the AA website.

snorkle Sat 30-Jun-07 16:01:53

It's not just a warning triangle. I'm fairly sure you have to carry spare bulbs and a first aid kit too. Possibly relective vests, torch and car fire extinguisher as well.

You have to have this stuff as its a legal requirement to be able to assist if there's an accident if I remember right.

And you should take your driving licenses, and all car documents too.

Finally (can't remember if this is France or Spain) you might need a spare pair of glasses if you use them to drive.

3sEnough Sat 30-Jun-07 16:01:59

The aa didn't say about a first aid kit but I' m pretty sure it's in the car with the triangle and other weird and random items which I've never seen before!!

3sEnough Sat 30-Jun-07 16:03:17

Snorkle - no vests required in France apparently. It didn't mention the rest.....

snorkle Sat 30-Jun-07 16:14:24

vests are for Italy, Fire extinguisher is for Belgium, sorry.

policywonk Sat 30-Jun-07 16:16:30

Honest, the only things you MUST have are the GB sticker and the headlamp adjustment.

debgronow Sat 30-Jun-07 16:40:46

Green card international insurance thing. You must take your driving licence.
You might want to think about taking out green flag or AA international rescue cover in case of breaking dowm.
We drive in France and were told to get triangle, and a yellow vest.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: