Talk

Advanced search

regretting Tenerife.

(23 Posts)
Itsnotalwaysfair Mon 14-Jan-19 16:06:21

Ive booking non refundable flights and a residential appartment in Tenerife golf del sur end of April for me dh and dd4. I've just read too late that the pool in unheated. And there is literally nothing on site or nearby for kids. I can save this by taking cards and games and planning day trips well right?
Gah.

OP’s posts: |
MrsJayy Mon 14-Jan-19 16:10:39

It will be roasting in April we went a few years back the pools don't need heated there is also decent public transport it willl be fine.

NicoAndTheNiners Mon 14-Jan-19 16:10:43

Well there's plenty of day trips you can do in Tenerife which are nice. I've never been with small kids though so not sure what to recommend as most of my days out are teenage friendly.

However car hire is cheap, was cheaper for us to rent a car for a week than to have transfers to and from the airport. Driving is fine, I'm happy to drive there.

Also some large hotels let you pay a small amount like 6 euros to use their pool. I stayed in Costa adeje last year and the pool where I was was crowded. So we went five mins down the road and paid 6 euros for entry to the grounds of a very swanky hotel and pool. So maybe find out if there's anything like that.

NicoAndTheNiners Mon 14-Jan-19 16:11:55

I would need a heated pool in April and I think most 4yos would. But then I find the unheated pools quite bracing in July! grin

Itsnotalwaysfair Mon 14-Jan-19 16:12:16

Really? That's a good tip nico thanks

MrsJayy Mon 14-Jan-19 16:14:04

Ah nico you softy 😁

NicoAndTheNiners Mon 14-Jan-19 16:17:08

I know! I find the heated indoor pool at my gym cold and complain about it frequently. grin

Notverygrownup Mon 14-Jan-19 16:26:30

Easy local busride to Los Cristianos with a great beach, if you don't hire a car. We enjoyed the boat trip out to see the pilot whales there - glass bottomed boat so that you can go downstairs and be really close to them.

There's a small beach at golf del sur which you should be able to walk to/swim in the sea.

Day out to Loro Park should be good with a little one though a bit of a hike. I see that they have renamed Sian Park now as Aquapark and have dolfins there, so that might be better - that is very reachable on a local bus (get there early).

StartedEarly Mon 14-Jan-19 17:16:42

I've been in April and it really isn't warm enough to swim in an unheated pool. DC were bitterly disappointed. Even in July the pools don't get as warm as you might get in say Greece or Spain.

Car hire is cheap, look on trip advisor forums for local companies.In fact those forums are great for the sort of general advice you need (and in future for research before you book wink).

Itsnotalwaysfair Mon 14-Jan-19 17:41:23

notvery what company did you use for glass bottomed boat?

Thanks for tips

Alanna1 Mon 14-Jan-19 17:49:51

I've done unheated pools at Easter - take wetsuits if you want, makes quite a difference.

popcornwizard Mon 14-Jan-19 17:58:03

I've just done exactly the same!! Same time and same place and am now reading reviews from people complaining of the lack of kettle and English television. Our kids are bigger, but you can hire a car for less than a tenner a day. I keep swinging from 'oh fuck, it's going to hideous' to 'it'll be OK - we'll have warm and sun cf the ability to drive far away from the English breakfasts and Irish pubs' . Look at autoreisen for cars (or something similar). Hoping loads of people will post now and tell us how fabulous it is away from the main resorts.

Notquiteagandt Mon 14-Jan-19 18:04:23

Taxis in tennerife are super cheap and the buses are good. So shouldnt be an issue. Take body warmer tops for pool if worried.

MrsJayy Mon 14-Jan-19 18:42:53

Genuine question do people really want television on holiday ? If we are away we watch bbc news 24 for a bit but we have never had any other channels. Dd and dh did the whale watching they enjoyed it.

Itsnotalwaysfair Mon 14-Jan-19 19:19:20

popcorn we'll make it fine. I could not resist a pm to see if we're in the same place but Will probably be not quite same time as dd is not school age yet so we will go the day after the uk Easter holidays end.

Karwomannghia Wed 03-Apr-19 16:17:03

Siam park is still the water park with the huge slides, aqua land is next to it.
Our pool was meant to be heated and isn’t. Here now and it’s too cold for me!

Sn0wHailSunFun Wed 03-Apr-19 16:23:24

Went in March it was 20 degrees

underneaththeash Fri 05-Apr-19 07:21:17

unheated pools are completely pointless, we stayed in a villa in Italy a couple of summers ago and even in 38 deg heat, the unheated pool was too cold.

Personally, I would try a pre-departure complaint to the complex (unheated pool, unsuitable for small children, don't want an unhappy customer etc.....).
Otherwise, I'd just book a few days in the middle in a hotel when you get there if it isn't suitable.

Expo Mon 15-Apr-19 15:01:30

Am here now. It’s 24 degrees and warm. Certainly pool weather - too hot without one when lying in the sun. Indeed temperature is perfect with kids. Hope you have a lovely time.

fuzzyduck1 Mon 15-Apr-19 16:50:01

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

QforCucumber Mon 15-Apr-19 16:54:00

AquaPark and Siam Park are 2 different places, both Decent days out but can become pricey and can't imagine Siam at least occupying a 4 year old all day. We are going in 4 weeks with out 3 year old and won't bother taking him as we have been before and don't think there will be much for him.

TalkinPaece Mon 15-Apr-19 16:56:46

Take a trip up to Puerto and go to Lago Martianez for a day
some of the pools are heated, some are not
you swim between them and pick the temperature you like
we LOVED it in April with our kids

and the beaches are dark so sitting and playing on them is a laugh

HotpotLawyer Mon 15-Apr-19 17:03:31

Fuzzyduck I am sorry your stuff was nicked but tourist hire cars are a target in many places, I assume you don’t know who nicked your stuff and that generalisation was completely out of order.

OP: don’t use Gold Car. Auto Reisen are a reputable Canaries hire co.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in