Talk

Advanced search

has anyone been on one o fthose holidays where you swap houses?

(12 Posts)
nailpolish Wed 27-Jun-07 13:14:14

are they a good idea?

LilianGish Wed 27-Jun-07 13:30:51

We swapped houses with friend of my brother (he lives in Jersey, we lived in Paris at the time). Not a total stranger, but we didn't know the family at all. It was a massive success - like us they had two children so very family friendly with everything we needed for kids (then aged 2 and six months). We even swapped cars. Obviously much cheaper than paying for accommodation. Had to leave fairly extensive details of how everything worked etc but nothing too arduous. So successful we did the same thing the following year with some friends of friends in Jersey - also a great success. Both times returned to find flat immaculate (we left their homes in a similar state).Not sure if I would have been happy to swap with a total stranger. Where do you live - maybe you could swap with another mumsnetter?

nailpolish Wed 27-Jun-07 13:33:50

i was thinking of swapping (live in Edinburgh) but dh is not sure at the house needs a bit of TLC iyswim

id be mortified if we swapped with someone who had a perfect house

LilianGish Wed 27-Jun-07 13:53:45

As long as it's clean I don't think it matters if it's not immaculate - in fact many people with kids would be more relaxed in that situation. The first house we stayed in was immaculate (and about five times bigger than our appartment) but the family we swapped with said they loved staying our flat and felt they were getting the real Paris experience. It's bound to be better than the average holiday let and when you've got kids its just so great to be able to put on a video for them, cook a decent meal and generally behave as if you were at home (so much more important than when you don't have kids and can just go out all the time!). I should think Edinburgh would be very popular as a holiday destination - where do you want to go?

nailpolish Wed 27-Jun-07 14:27:40

yes thats a good point - ive stayed in lots of holiday lets and they werent all perfect showhomes

id like to go to London

LilianGish Wed 27-Jun-07 14:49:52

That shouldn't be too difficult. You need to find a friend of a friend who wants to go to Edinburgh (bound to be loads who want to be there for the festival - unless you have to be there yourself). Don't think you need to know the other person, but I think both parties would be much happier with a personal reccommendation. Put the word out and go for it!

Fimbo Wed 27-Jun-07 14:58:46

Haven't people on here swapped before?

Boobsgonesouth Wed 27-Jun-07 14:59:11

have swapped...We are fortuante enough to have a 2nd (holiday) home so have swapped now with others that have...>We've been to canada (skiing !) and are off to Spain in July....

here's the website we use

nailpolish Wed 27-Jun-07 14:59:58

i have vague recollections of people on here swapping before, Fimbo

nailpolish Wed 27-Jun-07 15:04:26

Boobs thats a great site

lots in london! and the houses dotn look too prim and proper

rookiemum Mon 02-Jul-07 15:50:15

The NCT does house swaps as well, and only costs £35 per year to register. Yes its a bit of a sweat getting the house ready, but we are in Edinburgh too and people are happy to have such a good location so provided its not a total tip they are not too bothered. Also with the money you saved from a holiday you could perhaps get in a one day cleaning agency blitz before they come to save any stress.

viticella Mon 02-Jul-07 16:34:13

Have friends, based in London who are regular swappers, they do at least two a year through Homelink. They have two little boys so no strangers to mess, but I don't think they've had a bad experience either at home or abroad. I would go for it myself but DH is cagey because he has gear for his business stored at home.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: