Talk

Advanced search

South Kensington tube station with a pushchair

(11 Posts)
FixedIdeal Fri 28-Dec-18 21:06:23

Does anyone know how easy it is to get in/out of South Kensington tube station with a pushchair?

I can see from the accessibility leaflet there is no lift but it doesn’t say if there is an escalator or how many steps there are!

OP’s posts: |
diamantegal Fri 28-Dec-18 21:10:16

Definitely steps - combination of steps and escalator from the Piccadilly line and steps only from the Circle/District line.

Maybe 20/30 steps? Doable with a pushchair, as long as you're happy bouncing it up - or asking a friendly stranger for help.

enterparentone Fri 28-Dec-18 21:12:37

It's generally heaving with families because of the museums so you'll find plenty of people to help. If you don't mind waiting at traffic lights rather than using the underpass, you can avoid more steps by walking from the station to museums above ground too

LoveWasAccidental Fri 28-Dec-18 21:14:32

There is one flight of stairs from the trains going up to ground level. I have done this trip a few times with a pushchair and I have never NOT been offered help by other passengers. If you're then heading to the museums there are a few steps down, not that many, I'm thinking it's about 6. You can bump the pushchair down on the back wheels if you have to. Then if you're going to the NHM the quickest exit has another flight of stairs up. That one has tended to be trickier for me as it's often busy and people seem less likely to offer help. I'm not sure about the other exits, sorry, as we always travel to the museums.

I hope this is useful. I've found it quite manageable but it does depend on your own physical limitations, age of your child(ren) and style of pushchair.

Gunpowder Fri 28-Dec-18 21:16:22

There are quite a few steps but I’ve always been offered help there too. Much more so than at other stations like Victoria.

nutellalove Fri 28-Dec-18 21:28:07

Used to travel there every day and I think people are generally (for some reason!) more friendly there, lots of pushchairs and I've never once seen someone not offer to help in south ken station in particular. Kings cross / Euston is another matter entirely ....

DrSeuss Fri 28-Dec-18 22:07:25

Someone has always helped me, often people you wouldn't have picked out as child friendly.

FixedIdeal Sat 29-Dec-18 10:13:35

Thanks for all the replies, really helpful! We will be coming on circle/district line so glad it’s steps rather than escalator, i have made it up and over bridge at our rural station (no lift) with DS and pushchair and think if others can do it at SK then I can too. Was more worried about an escalator tbh as have never taken pushchair on one!

Great tip about using traffic lights rather than through underpass, will def be doing that! We are going to NHM and science museum smile

OP’s posts: |
purplecorkheart Sat 29-Dec-18 10:15:55

Mumnderground app might be helpful

Blueroses99 Sat 29-Dec-18 10:21:34

I went to the museums recently via South Kensington and had kind passengers offering to help with the buggy up the stairs (I’d popped DD into a sling already). However on the way back, I walked to Earls Court, which has lifts to the district line. It’s a 15-20 minute walk so only a little further than the 10 min walk from South Ken to the museums, but I found this much easier!

Gunpowder Sat 29-Dec-18 10:38:21

Ooh that’s a good tip Blueroses

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in