Talk

Advanced search

TIPS WNATED! Flying to Majorca with 14month/3 ry old - Hand luggage/Liquids!!

(16 Posts)
MrsPuddleduck Wed 27-Jun-07 09:54:08

Does anyone have any great tips for flying with 14month old and 3 year old

Three year old should be OK - only it has taken us weeks of reassurance to get over a flying phobia and I am worried that he will suddenly kick off at the departure gate. DH says they wont let us on the plane if he does.

Last time we went away ds1 had throat infection (unknown to us) on the return flight and he was the child from hell that no-one wants to be sitting within 10 rows of (could explain the phobia). This time I have managed to con the doctor out of amoxicillin and have it in its powdered form so will start administering it on day 4 of holiday regardless (is prone to ear/throat infections esp from pools).

All tips greatly apprecitated.

MrsPuddleduck Wed 27-Jun-07 10:08:10

Bump

mummylin2495 Wed 27-Jun-07 10:15:54

when we flew to Lanzarote recently we were only allowed to take 100ml of liquids,My dh had some liquid to put on his skin from the doc but because it wasnt in the box it was issued in from the chemist he wasnt allowed to take it,we luckily. had a rucksack and so put it all in there ,then went back and sent it through as ordinary luggage.I think you will be ok with tablets.But do remember that liquids include perfumes,shampoo etc .there was a big bin full of lovely perfumes which they had consficated from passengers.

mosschops30 Wed 27-Jun-07 10:31:36

i dont know why people would take shampoo or perfume on a flight for 2 hours . We just went to menorca with ds 2.3yrs. With regards to the 100ml, you can take as much as you like if you buy it in the departure lounge, so i just bought drinks for the kids in there.

I always ask to be pre-boarded because of flying phobia and you could ask them this too, would give you chance to get your ds settled without masses of people huffing and puffing behind you trying to get into your seat.

HTH

NannyL Wed 27-Jun-07 17:08:47

also if you have kids drinks in kids drinking cups / bottles so long as you sample it you csn take as much as you want.

have you read / got a copy of 'amazing aeroplanes? it may help your 3 year old?

IsabelWatchingItRainInMacondo Wed 27-Jun-07 17:19:49

You can have take over the counter medicines as long as you put them in a separate zip lock transparent plastic bag. (Although why to use antibiotics in a preventive basis with such a small kid is beyond me)

food for infants is allowed, you can get small cartons of formula or juice if you want to, or can get the juice at the airport or get water and mix it with powder. you are no longer required to taste it.

I have taken well over a litre without a problem, as long as it is in small containers in its plastic bags.

BTW get extra in case of delays.

NannyL Wed 27-Jun-07 17:24:00

I agree.... would no way be giving a child who is not ill antibitoics...

while i can just about understan having some to take 'just in case' there is NO WAY i would give a perfectly healthy child antibiotics for the 'sake of it'

Chelseamum Wed 27-Jun-07 17:26:42

Been travelling for the past 3 months... and i've noticed that they are relaxing big time with the liquid scenario.....

I had an opened bottle of calpol, water bottle and 2 cartons of aptamil and they haven't made me try it..... although coming back from Greece they made try chuck the water....

You'll be ok!

MrsPuddleduck Thu 28-Jun-07 14:16:47

I am feeling really guilty about the antibiotics comment now. Sorry to sound naive but I genuinely didnt't think they would do any harm.

I suppose I am just being anal after the last time we went abroad and he screamed in pain all the way back home on the plane (and I mean for the duration). The whole thing was a bloody nightmare because I knew he wasn't very well and when I told the holiday rep they advised me not to go to the doctor because they may have told me he was unfit to fly. Thinking about it now it is absolute rubbish and I usually wouldn't have just accepted it - but at the time we had a difficult holiday and I was desparate to go home.

Just to let you know I stand corrected and will not use the antibiotics unless I am sure I need to. Thanks for the advice.

mosschops30 Thu 28-Jun-07 16:37:26

willmouse make sure you check the antibiotics. I took some for ds last year as he was brewing something when we went away but it needs to be kept refrigerated (impossible given that travel to airport, plus wait at airport, plus actual flight, plus travel to resort). Ask pharmacist if you can have the powder and then make it up yourself if needs be (they will tell you how much water needs to be added).

However I would say that pharmacies in Spain out-do ours by a mile and you can buy some wonderful over the counter stuff so you might not need to take anything.

Have a great hols

IsabelWatchingItRainInMacondo Thu 28-Jun-07 16:52:51

Agree about the pharmacies, they are quite good in offering good suggestions for over the counter things.

If your kid screamed with pain during all the duration of the flight... I'm sorry to say this, but the stewardess was wrong, you should have been to the doctor and yes, the child was not fit to fly.

If you have a problem over there, please CAT me, I can send you the details of DS's paediatrician. They will see you in short notice should it become necesary (and do speak English!)

mosschops30 Thu 28-Jun-07 17:00:23

ds was admitted to hospital in menorca last month and gotta say was the best/speediest care we have ever receieved.

jojosmaman Thu 28-Jun-07 17:03:24

just wanted to add that some airports are still strict about baby milks- i flew to Greece a couple of weeks ago and cleverly took three cartons of ready made formulas and had to open, dispense into the bottles and taste all of them! they do sell some cartons through security tho so i'll remember this for next time. medicines no probs tho

MrsPuddleduck Fri 29-Jun-07 11:36:41

Has anyone had a problem taking SMA sachets through.

I am thinkging of taking an empty bottle and a sachet and then using bottled water which I will be able to buy when I get through to the departure lounge.

IsabelWatchingItRainInMacondo Fri 29-Jun-07 17:45:13

There shouldn't be any problems carrying formula in powder (I used one of those containers with 3 compartments for it).

If you need more, Aptamil is sold in Spain as Milupa. I wouldn't be surprised at all if you find SMA too (but get them from a pharmacy, formula is not sold by supermarkets)

dassie Fri 29-Jun-07 17:46:05

make sure you use bottled water with low sodium content though (like evian)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now