Talk

Advanced search

Rome, Prague, or ???

(10 Posts)
CrispbuttyNo1 Tue 18-Dec-18 23:47:12

It’s my 50th (eeeeeek!!) in February (annoyingly the day after valentines which means prices are always higher), however as I’m not a party person, I’ve asked DP if we could go for a romantic weekend away instead. He’s never been to either city, I love both of them but have never been in February. I know Prague will be cold but I have only ever been in winter when the xmas markets are on. Will it still be bustling and lively at this time? I do love the Czech and beer though! And the cocktail bar near Charles bridge.

I have only been to Rome in summer when it has been scorching and full of tourists too, but I love the history, the architecture and the shops.

Or is there anywhere else that I should go?

Help me decide!! Thankyou

OP’s posts: |
CrispbuttyNo1 Tue 18-Dec-18 23:47:56

And that’s should have said I love the Czech food 😁

MyPoodleisWorthTenofYou Tue 18-Dec-18 23:50:23

What about Lisbon?

I loved Ljubljana. All cobbled streets and I sat wrapped up in a blanket drinking mulled wine with a lovely view of the castle, and had venison ghoulash in a little cauldron with a tealight underneath. It’s a tiny place but very charming, perfect for a weekend.

I do like Prague but find it a bit stag-weekendy.

Rome is incredible of course but I can’t imagine it in February (I’ve only ever visited in scorching hot weather!)

MyPoodleisWorthTenofYou Tue 18-Dec-18 23:51:17

NB I suggested Lisbon as the weather will be pleasant and I just got a bargain flight there to go in April. I think it looks fab.

FinallyFree123456789 Tue 18-Dec-18 23:51:31

My parents (51) have just come back from Lisbon -they said it was lovely.

They said they preferred Prague though.

I'm going to Rome for new year - so can't comment yet ha!

happychange Tue 18-Dec-18 23:52:34

Ljubljana is lovely, highly recommended x

CrispbuttyNo1 Wed 19-Dec-18 01:05:14

I’m swaying more towards Rome at the moment as I think. But I quite like the idea of Lisbon so will look at that too.

Minniemountain Wed 19-Dec-18 07:21:48

We went to Rome the first weekend of December just gone. It was busy but not horrible. The weather was warm enough for trousers and tshirts some days.

It was also a relief to be away from the cold British weather, which is why I'd avoid Prague beautiful though it is.

Minniemountain Wed 19-Dec-18 07:23:21

If you go to Rome, book a tour of the Nero's golden palace dig. It was amazing.

CrispbuttyNo1 Wed 19-Dec-18 22:11:13

Well, after a day of working out funds and time off work etc... I’ve decided we will wait to go until June when it’s likely to be much hotter 😃.. and do a three day trip to Rome followed by three days in Prague .. am now trying to persuade DP that driving from Rome to Prague would be an interesting road trip through Italy, Germany and Austria. .. he’s saying he would rather just fly. I have time to work on this though.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in