Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any Scottish Mums out there?? Anyone familiar with the A9? Desperately seeking info...

(29 Posts)
HighlandFling Mon 25-Jun-07 19:50:54

on places to stop off for refreshments. We are leaving Edinburgh at 5am tomorrow morning, driving north, north, north to get the ferry to Orkney (at 1pm - yes, we need our heads examined). I don't think there are really any service stations, but would love to hear if anyone knows of any cafes that might be open from 7am ish, don't mind driving off the A9 a little bit, will be worth it just to have place to give ds his brekkie. I will be awaiting responses with baited breath....!

heymammy Mon 25-Jun-07 20:01:29

Hi HF, there's a huuuuge Tesco just the other side of Perth but I'm not sure if its 24hr or not.

Also there's a fab restaurant at Bruar which is north of Pitlochry so should be open by the time you get there. But you're right...I can't think of any service stations at all.

Enjoy the trip!

HighlandFling Mon 25-Jun-07 20:05:54

I think you mean House of Bruar, which is just the BEST place to stop off with baby in tow, has the most luxurious toilets I have ever encountered and lots of shops etc!! Unfortunately it doesn't open till 8.30am, and we will have to be a lot further up by then - boo. Thanks for the tesco tip, going to check out their website now...

seb1 Mon 25-Jun-07 20:20:44

What about here open form 6:30am newtonmore, never been though

expatinscotland Mon 25-Jun-07 20:31:08

I LOVE the handwash in the ladies' cloakroom at House of Bruar. It's Arran Aromatics Lavender.

We just drove up the A9 to Nairn last week from Embra.

I agree House of Bruar is a FAB place to stop on your way back.

They make an amazing pot of tea as well in the cafe and do beautiful scones.

They also have a play area for the bairns.

The Tesco in Perth is an Extra, but does that mean it is 24 hours?

expatinscotland Mon 25-Jun-07 20:32:19

MMm, we bought some Arbroath smokies in there Sat. Sooooo lovely.

An Arbroath smoker comes to Embra farmer's market from time to time and the smokies are well worth the queue.

tassis Mon 25-Jun-07 20:34:50

i'm thinking if you have to get all the way from edinburgh to caithness you're going to want to get past perth before you stop...aviemore??

it's very tacky, but has a small tesco...not sure if it's got a cafe or not.

agree house of bruar is fantastic!

HighlandFling Mon 25-Jun-07 20:37:15

Just checked website, Tesco Extra in Perth is 24 hrs - but does that mean the cafe too??!

Seb1, that is a great suggestion, how on earth do you know about that one? It is 2.5 hours from Edinburgh so will be good option for first stop, if i can keep ds going that long. I like the sound of the bar and pool table, there I will be sipping on a bourbon, racking up the balls at 7am!!

House of Bruar scones is a definite on the way back!

tassis Mon 25-Jun-07 20:38:02

why not phone tescos and ask?

Eulalia Mon 25-Jun-07 20:41:37

There is a huge 24 hour 'Extra' Tesco on the outskirts of Dundee on the Kingsway. Heading north you will have to go to the Kingsway roundabout and turn back on yourself to get to it as the entrance is on that side of the dual carriageway. They do breakfasts in the cafe really cheap and nice selection of hot and cold stuff.

dazzlincaz Mon 25-Jun-07 20:43:08

Highlandfling - the local 24 hour Tesco here has cafe that is only open certain hours, not 24 hours, but Scotland may be different.

have you tried AA routeplanner and click on the bit for eating places?

Eulalia Mon 25-Jun-07 20:43:53

The cafes aren't open 24 hours, I think this one is open at 8am but will probably be about that by the time you get there. Best to phone and check, doesn't tell you on their webpage.

HighlandFling Mon 25-Jun-07 20:45:31

Humph - just called tesco and cafe doesn't open till 8. How late is that!

seb1 Mon 25-Jun-07 20:45:57

We go up there a lot and had to stop when DD1 was small and it was either Newtonmore or Kingussie so I googled but I can't remember if it was that cafe, it was 5 years ago I just remember the lack of service stations (and dual carriageway) on the A9

HighlandFling Mon 25-Jun-07 20:48:57

Yes, why are there no service stations on the A9? Why, why, why? Answers on a postcard please...

expatinscotland Mon 25-Jun-07 21:48:05

I don't know, Heilan', but we saw not a one between Perth and Inverness, so top up at that Tesco in Perth, which is just before you go in the town. Then, you can either go through Perth or go back the way you came (left) and head north (I think it's the 2nd exit, but don't quote me on it).

Are you sailing from Wick, then?

If so, then take the FIRST exit you see near Inverness for Wick, otherwise, you'll wind up going thru Inverness for the bridge across the Black Isle, which is very trafficked.

The signposts are a bit confusing, sometimes they say Ullapool/Fort William instead of Wick, but as long as you stick to A9 it's all good.

expatinscotland Mon 25-Jun-07 21:49:16

But Kingnussie is a bit off the A9.

Skribble Mon 25-Jun-07 21:55:37

Aviemore is just off the A9, the tescos is very small and has no cafe.

Where are you getting the Ferry from???

Rumpel Mon 25-Jun-07 21:56:20

You could stop in Pitlochry - cafes and toilets. Also there is a 24hour cafe just before Pitlochry on the right hand side. There is a 24hour garage just before Perth.

There is a 24 hour Tesco in Inverness - take the Aberdeen turn off it is a roundabout and you keep going to Inverness industrial units. It has a petrol station. There is a Morrisons with cafe and toilets and petrol in Alness (about 20 mins drive from Inverness), there is a very nice cafe on the right just as you come off the bridge from the Black Isle (before Alness)

There is a 24 hours petrol station/cafe at the Evanton turnoff (just before Alness). There is about another 4/5 petrol stations before you reach Wick. There is a great fish/chip shop in Wick and Orney is beautiful - enjoy!

Rumpel Mon 25-Jun-07 21:57:36

Petrol station in Pitlochry, with toilet too!

Also public toilets just as you get onto the Black Isle off the bridge - you need 20p though.

Miaou Mon 25-Jun-07 22:00:01

I guess you must be sailing from Scrabster, HighlandFling? If so, and you need/want to stop off for a snack/meal in Thurso before you leave (if you are going from Scrabster you will go through Thurso), then go to Johnstone's cafe/bakery on the main street (just before the pedestrian lights on the right hand side). It's on the A9 itself going through Thurso. There's plenty of parking on the streets surrounding the area, and it does a good range of food there. We like it anyway

Skribble Mon 25-Jun-07 22:04:55

What about stopping at Inverness for breaky, their is a 24 hour tesco just off the A9. You will be there about 8/9am ish depending on the traffic and roadworks. Pack some snacks to keep you going.

FLIER Mon 25-Jun-07 22:05:45

http://www.mckayshotel.co.uk/restaurant.html This place in Pitlochry say they are open to hotel guest and visitors for breakfast, might be worth phoning them to find out if they will be open.

hth

Wallace Mon 25-Jun-07 22:10:40

Answer on postcard:

There are no service stations on the A9 because when it was built it was only allowed to be built if it wasn't going to take business away from local towns and villages

Tesco in Aviemore has no cafe. Mountain Cafe in Aviemore is great. and child friendly

Or you could go through carrbridge (not much off A9) and stop at the http://www.landmark-centre.co.uk/ cafe, but fairly expensive. And doesn't open til 10am now I think about it...

Wallace Mon 25-Jun-07 22:11:12

http://www.mountaincafe-aviemore.co.uk/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now