Advanced search

query re: marriage and holiday/passport - please help!

(11 Posts)
countrylass Sun 24-Jun-07 19:19:41

Hi all

A quick query which I think I know the answer to, but want to check. I'm getting married in a few weeks time and going on holiday abroad a couple of days later.

I will change my name to my partners. Am I able to keep my passport in my maiden name and book my holiday in my maiden name and change my passport when I get back? Or am I obliged to change it before the holiday? I am assuming though that this will be impossible because I'll need a marriage certificate to prove the name change and obviously won't have time to change my name on my passport between the wedding and the holiday?

Please make this clear for me!

Scootergrrrl Sun 24-Jun-07 19:21:17

Ask your vicar/registrar and they should provide you with a certificate saying you will be getting married on such and such a date etc and they are then responsible for reporting it to the passport people if the wedding doesn't happen.
That's what happened when I got wed anyway

Hulababy Sun 24-Jun-07 19:21:19

Yes, just book the holiday in your maiden name, as well as keeping your passport the same.
Sort out change of names after you get back.

Hulababy Sun 24-Jun-07 19:21:49

I got married whilst on holiday and it isn't a problem so long as the booking and the passport are in the same name.

ProfessorGrammaticus Sun 24-Jun-07 19:22:03

You aren't obliged to change at all! You can book and travel in your maiden name. Or you can get a new passport and book your tickets in your married name, in advance, I know I did this but it was 10 yrs ago.

ChasingSquirrels Sun 24-Jun-07 19:22:16

you can do it all in your maiden name - as long as the passport matches the booking thats fine.
i changed mine for somethings, but not for others (we were living abroad and it would have just been too difficult) so I traveled on my maiden name passport for about 4 years after, despite (by that point) having changed it for everything else.

I think you can do something to get it changed if you want to book in your married name, but can't advise on this.

Imawurzel Sun 24-Jun-07 19:23:11

you should be able to book holiday in maiden name and use your old passport.
I got married nearly a year ago and still not changed mine.
I just haven't got £66 spare. (i'm sure i read you gotta pay to get it changed,i also want to change my picture,one on there is about 8yrs old)

PestoMonster Sun 24-Jun-07 19:23:44

I booked in my maiden name, used my normal passport the next day for honeymoon. Then practised new signature on the plane and came home and sorted out name changes for everything, passport, bank accounts etc etc

ruddynorah Sun 24-Jun-07 19:24:25

i linked to this on your other thread

countrylass Sun 24-Jun-07 20:30:19


Thanks for all your quick replies.

I did phone the Passport office and spoke to a jobsworth who told me I was 'legally obliged' to change my name for £66. When I questioned him about it he backtracked and didn't seem to know what he was talking about. He did say however, that I should keep my bank details the same as well until after the holiday in case my travellers cheques and passport wouldn't match up.

I was planning to just change everything after my holiday - is this the best way to do it? or do people tend to do everything beforehand?

ChasingSquirrels Sun 24-Jun-07 20:31:49

legally obliged - what crap - you don't ever have to change it if you don't want it.
if you are happy to do it all after - then take that option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now