Talk

Advanced search

how do you entertain a nearly 1 year old in the car ?

(7 Posts)
herbgarden Sat 23-Jun-07 20:31:21

My nearly 1 year old has suddenly become a horrible whinger in the car. He used to just get fed up and suck his thumb. He'e extremely active and so I think is frustrated at having to be in his car seat for any length of time. It's miserable for all involved !

purplepop Sat 23-Jun-07 20:33:22

I expect you've tried singing or a CD that he likes? Not really sure, mine have always fallen asleep within seconds of being in the car!

TooTicky Sat 23-Jun-07 20:35:24

Borrow an older child to sit next to him and be entertaining/comical.
And avoid long journeys as much as poss...

herbgarden Sat 23-Jun-07 20:38:08

If I'm going out all day he might sleep but otherwise, he sleeps in a routine so once he's had his sleep at home for a couple of hours, there's no way he's going off for even 5 mins in the car !!

Tommy Sat 23-Jun-07 20:42:34

we had a couple of ELC CDs which had extremely irritating songs on but they seemed very popular with the DSs

Washersaurus Sat 23-Jun-07 20:46:10

We always pack a very small bag of toys and little books for DS when we travel anywhere - now he is nearly 2 he chooses his own from the toy/book box before we go out. It doesn't stop ALL the whinging however but he does usually sit quietly either reading or playing, or sleeping.

Tipex Sat 23-Jun-07 20:49:07

my ds has always been a terror in the car. hes just an outdoor boy and never happy when hes stuck in his car seat. But, we have a 3 hour journey to our holiday home every 2-3 months so we have to try and get on with it! I have found music/nursery rhyme CDs fantastic! Drive me and DH up the wall but DS loves them. Also I pack loads of mini snacks eg few cheerios in a little pot and travel at hungry times. We sing, which he likes or I give him a small pad of paper and some crayons. If you buy the pads with the ring bit at the top you can tie a couple of crayons to them so they dont keep droping them and getting frustrated.
I get him a new cheap toy every time we do the big journey eg last time it was a mini etch a stetch type thing which was 50p from a tat shop which I save for the megs desperate moments. I have also wrapped a toy I know he likes in a few layers fo tissue paper to delay him getting at it! may only kill can 10mins but can be invaluable.

Im not a fan of sticking kids in front of TV and DS doesnt actually watch it at all but SIL has a portable dvd which hooks over the headrest of the seat in front and she plays her kids favourite DVDs which she says is fantastic on long trips.

We have a break every 45mins unless he is sleeping and let him run around. alot of motorway service stations have outdoor play areas now.

good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now