Talk

Advanced search

Ryanair flight this week with 1yo. Don’t get the baggage allowance -help!

(11 Posts)
wishmeluck16 Sun 02-Dec-18 16:40:15

So I booked an infant comfort seat for my 14 month old as the seat was cheaper than the set infant price of £25 each way.

I then contacted Ryanair to add my boys name to the ticket (as I was told to do) and they knew nothing about the “comfort seat” or what it meant! But they added his name in the end and told me to keep him on my lap for take off and landing.

Now I’m looking at baggage allowance but their website says this:

“There is no cabin baggage allowance for infants sitting on an adult’s lap or infants aged 8 days to 23 months who are seated in an extra comfort seat. However a baby bag up to 5kg can be carried by the accompanying adult in addition to their own cabin bag.

Infants over the age of 1 who are sitting in their own seat have a FREE 10kg baggage allowance as well as a small second bag, they also get the option to purchase a checked-in bag.”

So WHICH IS IT??

5kg or 10kg?

Confused, opinions appreciated

OP’s posts: |
JennyHolzersGhost Sun 02-Dec-18 16:44:48

5kg. Your kid doesn’t have their own seat so they don’t get the 10kg baggage allowance. Seems clear to me ?

LIZS Sun 02-Dec-18 16:45:40

If you have not paid for a seat for dc it is the small carryon bag only. Under 2s sit on adult lap for take off/landing even with own seat.

DrWhy Sun 02-Dec-18 16:57:18

We had all this nonsense - it’s totally confusing because children aged 1 can’t have their own seat, only the comfort seat yet the second statement suggests the they can have their own seat! They made such a mess of our booking that we ended up with a hold bag we’d paid for associated with the comfort seat and that seemed to be OK. You seem to get the car seat, travel cot or buggy options that most airlines give you too. Sorry, not much help - my best suggestion would be to ask Ryanair on their chat function then screenshot the answer and take it with you to the airport to show the check in people!

Orlande Sun 02-Dec-18 16:57:21

Comfort seat = 5kg baby bag.

wishmeluck16 Sun 02-Dec-18 17:52:08

But I paid the price of a seat for the comfort seat so I’m confused?

I.e. I bought three seats all the SAME price on the flight.

My son is in one of them and is 1.

Hence the confusion....

OP’s posts: |
NotANotMan Sun 02-Dec-18 17:53:30

Infants cost the same as normal seats on Ryanair despite not getting a seat or a baggage allowance

LIZS Sun 02-Dec-18 17:57:14

^*^*^*Infant Comfort Seat (Extra Seat) *

An extra seat can be purchased for an infant (8 days – 23 months) for comfort, the infant must be seated on an adult’s lap (aged 16 years and over) for take-off, landing and whenever the seatbelt sign is illuminated.  Once the seatbelt sign has been switched off the infant (8 days – 23 months) can then occupy the extra seat.

A baby bag up to 5kg can be carried by the accompanying adult in addition to their own cabin bag allowance in addition to their own cabin bag allowance.

However, there is no cabin or checked baggage allowance associated with the extra seat.^

Just the baby bag.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sun 02-Dec-18 18:06:38

It specifically says children in comfort seats don't get the increased size.

* There is no cabin baggage allowance for infants sitting on an adult’s lap or infants aged 8 days to 23 months who are seated in an extra comfort seat.*

It may be illogical but it's Ryanair; they charge for everything.

BarbaraofSevillle Sun 02-Dec-18 20:14:18

Infants over the age of 1 who are sitting in their own seat have a FREE 10kg baggage allowance as well as a small second bag, they also get the option to purchase a checked-in bag

Does this not apply then? I would go on the online chat with Ryanair, point them towards the above and ask about it. If it turns out he only hsas the 5 kg allowance, and that's not enough, I would just work out what's the best way to purchase extra allowance for the adults and put DS stuff in those bags.

noenergy Thu 06-Dec-18 17:03:13

I thought Ryanair hand luggage policy changed at the beginning of last month. So they charge for hand luggage as well for anything larger than a handbag. Do an online chat to clarify as I wouldn't want to stung at the airport with extortionate fees

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in