Talk

Advanced search

Northern Lights in Norway - recommendations?

(17 Posts)
Fireandfury1 Sat 01-Dec-18 10:17:33

I am thinking of booking a short break to see the Northern Lights just after New Year. Has anyone done this? Where did you stay, and who did you book it with?

OP’s posts: |
christravelwizard Sat 01-Dec-18 18:32:44

hi @fireandfury1, you have a number of options:
1. You could take a 7 or 14 day cruise with Hurtigruten that sails the coast of Norway all the way up to the Arctic region and back,
2. You could have an adventure holiday in Iceland and snowmobile along a glacier, see geysers, volcanos and underground ice caves as well as tours to see the Northern Lights or
3. You can go to Lapland (without the Xmas fanfare) and see them there.
4. My favourite? The Ice Hotel in northern Sweden at Kiruna. The images and memories are burned into my mind forever!
Depending on your budget, there's a broad range of accommodation at various prices. Iceland is not cheap but is spectacular.
I've visited all of them and absolutely love this part of the world at this time of year!

Fireandfury1 Sat 01-Dec-18 18:36:08

Hi Chris, thank you for replying! I would like to see them in Norway. Do you know anything about it?

Fireandfury1 Sat 01-Dec-18 18:37:02

It has to be a short break - 4 nights max....hope does not sound picky, work is demanding!

Spartacunt Sat 01-Dec-18 18:47:36

I went to Tromso in February - beautiful small university town and loads of tours. We booked a package but I'd recommend booking direct with a hotel on the waterfront and they will help you book a Northern Lights tour (about 6 hours from 7pm to 1 or 2am. There's a brilliant cable car up a mountain with amazing views and lots else you can do. Lights not guaranteed but likely. Only downside is the cost of everything!

Spartacunt Sat 01-Dec-18 18:48:39

PS 3 hour flight direct from UK and 4nights would be ideal.

Fireandfury1 Sat 01-Dec-18 19:20:54

Perfect!!! Huge thanks for this. I was looking at Tromsø and wondering if I could book directly. Fabulous.

Printerneedsink Sat 01-Dec-18 19:25:56

Just be aware that you might not actually see the northern lights though.

christravelwizard Sat 01-Dec-18 19:27:50

Hi @Fireandfury1,
If you really only can do 4 nights, I would look at this type of experience:

There's a 4 night trip that includes a call of the Wild Husky Safari, a Northern Lights Snowmobile Safari, a visit to a Reindeer camp (my hip flask came in so useful!), an exciting but tiring Northern Lights Forest expedition for 2-3 hours where you see the Northern Lights from a great vantage point and if you're staying for 4 insted of 3 nights, you do a snowshoe experience as well.
When I went, it included full board accommodation, flights and transfers as well as all the equipment so you don't have to buy anything except thermal underwear.
My favourite was racing across frozen lakes in a snowmobile and the husky dog ride.
The silence and the solitude are breathtaking and I've never complained about the cold ever since!

Fireandfury1 Sat 01-Dec-18 19:32:09

Wow it all sounds amazing! I love the sound of all the activities, but the lights are the priority.... wonder what I could do to facilitate the chances of seeing them?

Spartacunt Sat 01-Dec-18 19:45:48

Nothing sadly - it's all down to the weather (clear sky) and something to do with KP index (no idea). Hope you get lucky!

Fireandfury1 Sun 02-Dec-18 11:41:05

spartacunt Yeahhhhh annoying! Checking out moon, too...

Christravelwizard which company did you use?

christravelwizard Sun 02-Dec-18 17:41:11

Hi @Fireandfury1, Every itinerary I do is personalised but based on what you’re looking for, my recommendation would be a wonderful tour operator called Transun. They always personalise the experience for my clients and should do the same for you. With regards to seeing the Northern Lights, I always ask my supplier to provide 3 to 4 opportunities to see them so they will try. If not they offer a “try again” guarantee at no extra cost to you. If there’s anything special that you want, I can ask on your behalf. 😀

HuggedtheRedwoods Wed 19-Dec-18 19:00:37

I've been to Tromso, booked everything directly - flights with Norwegian, hotel was Clarion Collection With. I went out with two different NL tour guides Kjetil Skogli (saw the lights very faintly) and with Guide Gunnar (no luck that night), but both good guides and tried their best for us.

As you already know its all down to luck, clear skies and some solar activity but you can keep an eye on aurora forecasts here: www.gi.alaska.edu/monitors/aurora-forecast

I really enjoyed Tromso but have subsequently done several trips to Iceland which I found easier to get to, lots to do once there and have had several great sightings of the lights - makes all those hours stood outside in the cold worth it in the end.

Good luck, fingers crossed you get lucky with the lights!

BlueJava Wed 19-Dec-18 19:03:29

wonder what I could do to facilitate the chances of seeing them

There are apps that predicts this and gives forecasts. Just search for "northern lights"

weaselwords Wed 19-Dec-18 19:07:39

Ooh nice! I’m doing this next year too. Going to cruise around the northern coast. Looks like you’ve got a good chance of seeing both the northern lights and whales at this time of year 🐋

Fireandfury1 Fri 28-Dec-18 03:32:15

Ohhhh wonderful replies, sorry I missed these. Thank you all for tips- Hugged that sounds wonderful. I’ve been using various apps and hoping I booked good dates! Found a couple of organisers who seem determined to help aurora chasers. Wish us luck!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in