Talk

Advanced search

What amazing short holiday/experience would u recommend?

(17 Posts)
Blossom4538 Tue 27-Nov-18 19:03:47

Hi all,
After ideas for a 7-9 night holiday or travel experience - suitable for family with 7 year old pls? What did you love or experience would you recommend - it’s for end of May.

Thanks all xx

OP’s posts: |
LoniceraJaponica Wed 28-Nov-18 14:37:45

Sicily - Cefalu
Croatia - Baska Voda
Crete - Sissi

nornironrock Fri 30-Nov-18 10:45:27

Iceland. Amazing place, with so much to see and do.

Blossom4538 Fri 30-Nov-18 11:15:57

Iceland does look amazing!

Baska Voda looks gorgeous! It would be last week of May.

Also, considering Sardinia

MozzchopsThirty Fri 30-Nov-18 11:18:18

Took mine (8&13) last may half term to Hong Kong
Was an amazing experience
Cost me £1400 for hotel & direct flights

Next may we're doing NYC

I find it easier to keep them busy now on holidays or they're just hideous

christravelwizard Sat 01-Dec-18 18:45:36

Hi @Blossom4538, it very much depends on your budget and how adventurous your children are. A few potential choices in addition to the ones above are:
1. A Mediterrannean cruise on a child friendly line like Royal Carribean or P&O
2. An activity holiday at Club Med at various locations - children have lots of holidays
3. Center Parcs also has a lot of activities and there are European resorts.
4. Either of the Disney experiences are great - both Disneyworld and Universal in Florida (expensive for ticlets) or Disneyland Paris
5. The Canary Islands have safe clean beaches, a huge choice of activity based accommodation and activities such as waterparks, camel rides, resort activities and sports / social activities.
6. If you're looking for sun and good resorts, options are Tunisia, Greece and Turkey
7. If you want something different and a little further afield, then perhaps Eilat / Tel Aviv in Israel has lots to do as well as beach
8. Subject to vaccines, health status and budget, you could also do a safari in Kenya but they're long days with little children.
Let me know if you'd like more child friendly options. Mine are grown up now although they suddenly become my best friend if a holiday's on the horizon!

SoftBlocks Sat 01-Dec-18 18:47:03

Iceland

EverybodyKeepCool Sat 01-Dec-18 18:49:10

Costa Rica!

Blossom4538 Sat 01-Dec-18 21:04:29

We’d love to do long haul but perhaps not next year. DH has health issues and our DD who is 8, has High Functioning Autism. She does amazingly but can find busy places a little too much after a while. We were thinking Disney at one point and Cruise but have decided against it for now.

Some lovely ideas here though, thank you so much. x

mummymeister Tue 04-Dec-18 15:24:24

May half term is going to be both busy and expensive. you could try a city break where you can swop and change doing things if you need to. Barcelona, Rome, Naples etc are all lovely and weather should be good as well. some of the theme parks like water parks might be open and you could see how she copes there to see if Disney in the future is a good idea or not.

Penguinsetpandas Sun 09-Dec-18 17:28:36

When my DS was around that age, he also has HFA, we went here:

www.arolabear.com

It's in Finland and you see brown bears in the wild - we saw 8 including 2 babies, stayed in a chalet there with its own sauna and gave us a canoe to go on lake with. Lady home cooks food. There's more reindeers around than people including white ones. We combined it with a place went white water rafting and stayed at hotel by Oulu with waterpark and beach first where you could buy Omni the Squirrel and they had thousands of rubber ducks, got that from Booking.com. Flew with Finnair via Helsinki.

Penguinsetpandas Sun 09-Dec-18 17:37:07

If she likes animals we are staying at this place in summer in Sweden, its got alpacas you can walk, outdoor pool, bikes etc. About an hour away Wild Sweden do tours to find beavers on a boat and moose safari and also do bear safaris further north.

norrangen.com/?lang=en

EnglishGirlApproximately Sun 09-Dec-18 17:39:24

If you don’t mind travelling in a group Intrepid do some fantastic family adventure tours - I’ve got my eye on the Morocco one at the moment.

museummumblog Sun 09-Dec-18 21:21:44

I did a DIY trip to Morocco which would be perfect for all ages - mine were 15, 5 and 3 when we went. Our highlight was a trek with a mule and guide in the High Atlas Mountains. I would love to go back and take a longer trek up to Mount Toubkhal with the kids and a guide one day. I have neuro-diverse children so understand your concerns about busy places, the souks can be busy but ours seemed to cope ok with them.

If you'd like to read more, I've blogged about it here: museummum.com/2018/11/04/morocco-with-kids/

mummymeister Mon 10-Dec-18 10:14:04

penguinsetpandas I have messaged you about some more information on your finland trip.

sansou Sat 29-Dec-18 23:42:36

Past May Half Term destinations: -
Chia, Sardinia (twice!)
Conil de la Frontera, Spain - Seville, Jerez, Cadiz, Tarifa, Gibraltar, Bolonia, Vejer de la frontera.
Cascais, Portugal - Sinatra, Lisbon.
Alcamo, Sicily - Trapani, Erica, Scopello, Segusta, San Vito Lo Capo.

sansou Sat 29-Dec-18 23:43:15

Erice not Erica!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in