Talk

Advanced search

6 months away with two toddlers

(6 Posts)
TimeWoundsAllHeals Wed 21-Nov-18 21:55:59

Do you think they’d cope? One of them is currently really upset by change but usually it’s the little changes that do it (the wrong toys in his bed kind of thing) and a whole different environment with different rules might paradoxically be easier.

I dunno. I don’t think we can put our lives on hold, there will always be reasons not to do things. But I’d like an idea of how it might effect the kids.

OP’s posts: |
AlpacaLypse Wed 21-Nov-18 21:58:29

If you're there they'll settle in the end. Although it might be a bit grumply for the first hour or two at night.

Teds77 Thu 22-Nov-18 09:13:59

Do you mean away as in staying in one place with lots of home comforts for six months or lots of travelling around?

My two kids are pretty different when away and one has always got pretty homesick! It’s really alien to me so didn’t really appreciate it at first but after a few weeks she has always longed for her own bed and ‘our cosy house’ grin

TimeWoundsAllHeals Thu 22-Nov-18 10:48:26

One place. Husband might get the chance to do five-six months away with his company. I would love the chance to shake things up a bit because I’m bored out of my mind at the moment but I don’t want to traumatise the kids.

We’d be able to save a lot faster because work would pay his rent and we’d probably come back, rent for six months and then buy a house so that would be 3 moves in just over a year.

Part of me thinks they’re young and resilient and another part of me thinks about how multiple house moves are risk factors for children. But I wonder if part of that is due to moves due to financial insecurity. Not sure it’s the same?

OP’s posts: |
LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Thu 22-Nov-18 10:52:53

I don't think house moves really affect them when they're tiny (unless as you say it's due to financial insecurity) - staying in one place is more important when friendships come into play. Saying that, we had three houses in one year and my DS has ASD! It was fine. Explain what's going on, make sure some things are constant (you, favourite bedding etc) and crack on. It will be an amazing adventure.

Minniemountain Fri 23-Nov-18 07:06:16

Toddlers will be fine. We spent 3 months abroad when DS was 2, came back to our old house and bought our current house 3 months after that.

Once DS started nursery school age 3 he made lots of friends. There's no way we'd do it after that.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in