Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

travel with newly potty trained ds

(7 Posts)
iesha Wed 20-Jun-07 19:35:40

Hi, DS 2.4 has been potty trained for about 1.5 month. He's done really well, always asks for wee and hasn't had an accident in about 3 weeks. Now my uncle died a coople of days ago and I need to drive 400 miles for the funeral. DH is working and so cant have DS so I have to go with him. I don't really want to do to many stops (it takes about 7 hours with only one normally) and loath to put him back in nappies. so any ideas/tips?

Please please please!

mckenzie Wed 20-Jun-07 19:37:28

cna you travel at night time when presumably he has a nappy on anyway?

iesha Wed 20-Jun-07 19:47:08

Yes, he is still wearing a nappy at nightbut as soon as I put him in he car he's awake and then I just get a grumpy child to deal with. Also I'm travelling alone with him and my mum is terrible at babysitting him so I wont get any sleep when I arrive there.

barbamama Wed 20-Jun-07 19:51:08

Hi mine is similar age and also potty trained for a month or so. We ahve quite a 20-30 min drive to nursery in the mornings and what I have found helpful is one of those Potette portable potty things - when he says he needs to go I pull over and let him use that. we are driving to Cornwall next week and were planning just to stop whenever he asks (not sure about Motorway bits, hmmm) will also put a towel on his carseat and take plenty of spare clothes. He is starting to be able to pee standing up now so once they get to that stage I guess you could dispense with the potette and just let him wee by the side of the road - might be a good idea to have one for poos!

WigWamBam Wed 20-Jun-07 19:52:58

Sorry to hear about your uncle.

We found that the only way to do it is to make plenty of stops. Carry a potty in the car and ask him frequently (before every service station or lay-by if necessary) if he needs a wee (they invariably ask for one just as you've passed the slip road!).

Get a Piddle Pad for the car seat (or use a care mat or towel) in case he has an accident, and make sure you have plenty of wipes and a couple of changes of clothes to hand.

iesha Wed 20-Jun-07 19:58:44

barbamama, we'll be travelling from cornwall, I'll wave as we pass. lol I will pack a potty of course, but as you say it could be hard work. The A30 is the hard part, 2 hours of drivin with very little in the way of service stations. I'm starting to think the best way might be just to set off at 5am and just leave him in nappy for the forst half. Make a couple of loo stops whenwe stop for petrol and hope for the second half. Of course road works/accident could really be a prob

barbamama Thu 21-Jun-07 14:29:39

We might meet in a lay by with our potties!

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now