Talk

Advanced search

My 10 year old doesn't want to go on holiday

(16 Posts)
jjcole Mon 15-Oct-18 20:45:38

Hi I would like some advice. I have 3 children 14, 10 and 7. We have planned a trip to Australia for a couple of years and we have finally got the money together. My 10 year old is now saying he doesn't want to go. I will be going with my husband (this is not their dad). Their dad is fine with thme going and is encouraging him to go but he is point blank saying no. My other 2 children can't wait to go so I feel very torn. My mum has offered to have my son but I feel very torn. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

superram Mon 15-Oct-18 20:49:54

I would set a date when you are booking flights. Mention it regularly, get Dad and granny to talk about it. If he still doesn’t want to go then book without him.

Notaballetmum Mon 15-Oct-18 20:53:37

What are his reasons?
I’d do as the poster above says and keep talking about it but not force him. It’s a long way to go to be miserable!

HeddaGarbled Mon 15-Oct-18 20:54:46

Why doesn’t he want to go and how long are you going for (I’m assuming the couple of years is how long you’ve been planning it for not how long you are going for)?

PrincessWire Mon 15-Oct-18 20:57:26

You need to find out why he's saying he doesn't want to go - hopefully it's something that you can address.

jjcole Mon 15-Oct-18 20:58:22

He is a natural worrier anyway so he is scared of the plane crashing, being on the plane too long, not seeing his dad for 3 weeks, I have tried to put his mind at ease but he is still saying no. And yes I don't want to get all the way over there and him not enjoying it. Yes I'll get dad and granny to keep talking to and set a date to book. I just dont want him to change his mind once we are there as it will be too late 😣Thanks for your advice.

jjcole Mon 15-Oct-18 20:59:27

Yes we were planning to stay for 3 weeks.

heather1 Mon 15-Oct-18 21:01:46

Hmm, he is 10. So I think you decide for him, in conjunction with his Dad. That’s a lot of power for a 10 year old to have imo.

jjcole Mon 15-Oct-18 21:08:56

Yes heather1 that is true. That's the exact reason why I'm so torn 😣

CherryPavlova Mon 15-Oct-18 21:40:21

He’s 10. He doesn’t get to choose. Just tell him he’ll be going and don’t make a big deal out of it.

TokyoSushi Mon 15-Oct-18 21:44:18

I'm afraid I'd agree, he's 10, he's going. I'd be amazed if he didn't live it when he was there. Could you set up some FaceTiming with his Dad while he's away?

Starlight345 Mon 15-Oct-18 21:44:34

I would agree 10 year old doesn’t decide.

I would approach from the angle we are going but will talk how we can help with your worries. Face time to dad etc.

TokyoSushi Mon 15-Oct-18 21:44:40

**love it

jjcole Mon 15-Oct-18 21:57:51

Thanks for your advice guys. Yes he can face time his dad a lot. Think I need to be firm. Thanks again.

Meandyoumake2 Mon 15-Oct-18 21:59:59

If he's worried could you maybe show him pics talk about things you will
Be doing etc to distract him and plenty of FaceTiming home!

Glaciferous Mon 15-Oct-18 23:33:08

Why doesn't he want to go?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »