Talk

Advanced search

6 weeks summer hol travels with 4 yr old

(9 Posts)
harvestwheat Wed 03-Oct-18 21:35:32

Next summer holiday I want to go traveling. Essentially I want to make the most of the 6 weeks off of teaching and take my 4 year old with me.

It will be just the two of us. I have no idea where to go or what to see but I want to go somewhere different. I've already seen a lot of Europe. I've been watching Ben Fogle new lives in the wild and don't feel ready to give up my job and change my life completely but would like to make the most of the time I have a seize the day a bit more.

Has anyone done travel with a 4 nearly 5 year old? Where? Any good blogs etc?

I think I could probably spend up to 5k

OP’s posts: |
Ricekrispie22 Thu 04-Oct-18 06:36:23

If it were me, I'd fly into Stockholm and spend the best part of a week there. There's so much for kids. I'd then hire a car and drive to Gothenburg, staying somewhere in the Smaland region on the way,
www.visitsmaland.se/en/experiences/kids-and-family/inquisitive-kids
www.goteborg.com/en/gothenburg-for-kids/
You can then drive to Copenhagen or take the train. Both methods take around 3hr30mins. We drove and stopped for a few hours at a beach on the way.
You could easily spend a good few nights in Copenhagen. We ended our trip in Copenhagen but if we had he time we would have carried on to Billund and Legoland. www.visitbillund.dk/ln-int/billund/billund-tourist-frontpage

mummymeister Thu 04-Oct-18 16:59:15

why don't you buy a camper van or bongo van and drive around Europe camping together. It will be an adventure and you can go where you want. its always a good idea to have a loose itinerary and a good satnav. If you stayed in the UK your 4 year old would still see this as an adventure so I guess its about doing some of the countries that you want to see.

Just as an aside we live in a completely rural area - not quite off grid but almost - and whilst there are some fab things about it, it can be a challenge especially when you run out of oil, you have a powercut and everytime you want any sort of shopping its a 15 minute drive. hope you have fun and if you cant find a blog then you need to do one!

WhatYouGonnaDoKatie Thu 04-Oct-18 17:46:43

For websites, have a search of travel blogs, there’s plenty of ‘nomad’ families travelling full time / part time that would have lots of tips. Try this one to start:
worldtravelfamily.com/travel-with-children-family-world-travel-blog/

Summer months usually gives good weather for Indonesia - you could start in Java, fly up to Kalimantan (Borneo) to stay on a houseboat and see wild orangutans, hop back over to Java - then onto Bali / Lombok / Gili Islands / Flores / Komodo... if you’re happy to backpack and stay in more basic accommodation you could easily do it on that budget.

harvestwheat Thu 04-Oct-18 18:56:33

Great suggestions but I hate driving in England so don't want to drive abroad. It will be just me and the 4 year old.

harvestwheat Thu 04-Oct-18 18:57:51

Summer months usually gives good weather for Indonesia - you could start in Java, fly up to Kalimantan (Borneo) to stay on a houseboat and see wild orangutans, hop back over to Java - then onto Bali / Lombok / Gili Islands / Flores / Komodo... if you’re happy to backpack and stay in more basic accommodation you could easily do it on that budget.

I am going to investigate this further...Sounds great!

WhatYouGonnaDoKatie Fri 05-Oct-18 11:30:04

We backpacked for a month, but didn’t make it to Flores / Komodo - I’d love to go back for them though!

Just check how things are after the earthquake - I know Lombok and the Gilis were affected.

missreasonable Fri 05-Oct-18 11:59:28

Go to South East Asia!

Can highly recommended Bali (check out Seminyak, Canggu, Ubud), Lombok and Gili Islands. Particularly for travelling with kids. Other kid friendly places in SE Asia are Hoi An in Vietnam, Koh Samui in Thailand, Kuala Lumpa in Malaysia

SE Asia is great because it has very reasonable prices, great food, great accommodation options and lots of fun tropical activities.

harvestwheat Fri 05-Oct-18 19:30:16

Have emailed a company and now have a draft for Cambodia and Vietnam!!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in