Talk

Advanced search

Taking a 2 year old on a plane

(12 Posts)
SallyCinnamon3009 Tue 04-Sep-18 23:18:47

Looking at holidays for next year and torn about what to do. Looking to go around the time DS is due to turn two so here is my dilema. If I go the week or so before his birthday he's classed as an infant and is therefore free however he has to sit on a lap for the flight and doesn't get a luggage allowance.

If I go the week or so after price increases by approx £300, however he has his own seat and luggage allowance.

Luggage allowance doesn't really bother me as it's only for a week so could fit everything in two suitcases anyway. We're looking at Turkey so this will be a 4.5 hour flight. Also I'm looking end of sept beginning of October but avoiding the first Sunday in October, as a result the more expensive week is potentially gonna be when the weather starts to turn colder ( I believe).

For anyone that's travelled with young kids is it worth paying the extra and waiting to avoid a potentially horrible 4.5 hour flight?? £300 seems a lot of an increase to go in a colder week

OP’s posts: |
booklover21 Tue 04-Sep-18 23:29:36

Is the flight likely to be very busy? You can always relocate once the seat belt sign is off to a set of spare seats to spread out a bit more.

DS (3) has flown a couple of times long haul and the latest one where he had his own seat was infinitely easier. I think that's more to do with the fact that he is happier sitting and watching an iPad though!!

For a relatively short flight, I would go with the cheaper option and just have him on your lap. Or look into the cost of getting an infant seat before they turn 2 (which is usually cheaper) as a bit of a compromise.

5foot5 Tue 04-Sep-18 23:58:19

I took a 22 month old on a plane. It was a NIGHTMARE. Under one she was brilliant. From three it was ok. But that two year old phase, well it was one of the worst journeys of my life. Sorry.

TroubledLichen Wed 05-Sep-18 00:07:17

Personally I wouldn’t want to spend 4.5 hours with a wriggling almost 2 year old on my lap... especially if the plane conifiguration was a standard 3x3 so would mean a stranger sat next to you. I’d pay the £300 without hesitation. I’ve been booking a seat for mine she since turned 1, it’s non-negotiable as far as I’m concerned for stress levels and comfort.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 05-Sep-18 00:09:00

DD was enormous! And it was dreadful. Even at 11 months BFing on a plane was awful for everyone, especially my neighbours. She was so long and kicky. <shudder>

Limpshade Wed 05-Sep-18 01:53:56

I'd go for the seat to be honest. The last time I took my DD on a plane she was 18 months and it felt very cramped! Having said that, this was a 10 hour night flight so more wearing than most.

I would add that one perk of having her own seat is that she'll get her own children's meal - if you share a seat, she'll either have to eat some of yours, or you'll have to bring lots of snack food. But it depends on the timing of the flight I guess. If she has her own seat, you can also use a flytot - a blow-up cushion that bridges the gap between the seat and the seat in front, and makes the seat into a bed for a little person (they are not accepted on all carriers though, so check first).

NotAnotherHeffalump Wed 05-Sep-18 02:06:45

We have 3 DCs and on our last holiday our youngest was just a few weeks shy of 2 and it was terrible. We were only going to Spain too, so the flight was only 2.5 hrs long. The previous year we flew with a 1 yr old, 2 yr old and an 8 yr old, also a very traumatic experience due to the two small ones.

I'm looking forward to this year when my youngest will be 3 and will hopefully sit better like his big sister did when she was 3. We are still looking at where we can get to in around 2 hours though.

I wouldn't be rushing to take a 2 yr old on a 4 5 hour flight with or without an extra chair.
You could maybe get flights very late at night/early in the morning when DC is likely to sleep -and even then I wouldn't be keen-. Agree with PP that newborns or above 3 is much easier.

LikeLemondrops Wed 05-Sep-18 02:40:48

I would have an extra seat. 2 yo will get very hot and stressed as will you. My ds moved countries and flew longhaul age 2. iPad loaded with cartoons, some crayons and paper, some little dinosaurs and a couple of story books and a bag full of snacks. You'll be fine smile

ems137 Wed 05-Sep-18 02:50:09

Definitely get her own seat. We flew last year when DD was 23 months and again this year when she was almost 3 and it was 100 times easier this year with her own seat on a 4 hour flight!

whitedrug Wed 05-Sep-18 05:56:33

I'd go for the extra seat. We had a 3hr flight with a usually calm and easy 18 month old DS but he just became unbearable the minute we had to put seatbelts on (which ended up being often as we had turbulence). He was happy playing on the floor when seatbelts could be undone. We flew premium economy so had more legroom and just two adults on two seats side by side to deal with him so didn't disturb any neighbours with kicking.

About a week after he turned 2, we did long haul for the first time with him. It was a disaster for the first 6hrs as he got night terrors shock would not touch airplane food, got hungry - i stupidly only packed sweet snacks, thinking he'll eat the meals. I'm still thankful there was a sushi outlet on our 2 hour stopover blush. He had been travelling fine ever since though, including the rest of THAT flight.

But yes, spare seat, every time. If your little person watches anything in particular on the iPad, download lots of those cartoons, so they can watch them. Unfortunately the inflight entertainment (if you have any) only works for them from about 3onwards.

Two more things - Turkish Airlines are notorious for delays, so make sure you've got extra clothing for all of you, both for that + for the inevitable massive poo/vomit disaster. Also, take some savoury food you know they'll definitely eat (I now always pack apple /pear slices; buttered bread and hard boiled egg or two into hand luggage) - ours is not a fussy eater, except on the plane!

AnnieAnoniMoose Wed 05-Sep-18 06:03:01

4.5 hours - £300

I’d have her on my knee and look forward to the nicer weather!

IME at that age they want to be on your knee, in the aisle, under the seat anyway 😖🤷🏻‍♀️

Obviously if money was no object I’d book a second seat. Hell, I’d book one just for my comfort & convenience if I could justify the cost. But you don’t need to do it if you don’t have a spare £300.

CocoLoco87 Wed 05-Sep-18 06:45:33

We fly with ours every year and i would definitely wait and get the extra seat. Depending on who you fly with, they might get luggage allowance without a seat. Tui give children under 2 a 10kg allowance to be checked in.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in