Advanced search

Is travel insurance for working abroad different to travel insurance for holidaying?

(9 Posts)
KatyMac Wed 29-Aug-18 21:09:25

I'm assuming it is - where would I look for insurance for a short term contract working abroad?

& is there anything I should look out for or avoid?

I'm assuming the EHIC isn't enough

OP’s posts: |
eurochick Wed 29-Aug-18 21:11:42

Most standard travel insurance policies have a trip limit- often around 30 days. Some are longer. If working abroad you probably need health and property insurance in that country, like a local.

KatyMac Wed 29-Aug-18 21:14:17

It's 7 weeks

OP’s posts: |
schooltripwoes Wed 29-Aug-18 21:23:01

I travelled / worked (legally) for a year abroad in my early 20s. My policy covered me for the whole year and wasn't hard to get. I can't remember who it was with but they do exist.

Spanglyprincess1 Wed 29-Aug-18 21:25:42

Marsh and other companies offer this kind of insurance and you do need it

KatyMac Wed 29-Aug-18 21:27:07

Yes the company said oh the EHIC will be fine & I'm thinking.....maybe not!

OP’s posts: |
vitaminC Wed 29-Aug-18 21:40:34

The EHIC won't cover everything. In most countries you will have to pay a percentage of the cost yourself. Also, EHIC is only for emergencies and doesn't cover the cost of flying you home if injured etc.
If you have other insurance policies, I'd start by asking your reglar provider for a quote. And then compare with a travel-specific provider.

KatyMac Wed 29-Aug-18 21:45:28

We changed everything this year and are with direct line apart from the cat!!

I'll have a look on their webste or give them a ring


OP’s posts: |
specialsubject Thu 30-Aug-18 12:56:24

yes, totally different - and the EHIC isn't enough even for a holiday as you may (hope not!) need repatriation, cancellation etc etc. If the company say it is they are well dodgy.

working invalidates normal travel cover, as does overstaying. As just one example, look up Stephanie Inglis and what happens if you don't have the right insurance abroad. Happily she was famous enough for a crowdfund to raise £300k and even more happily she recovered.

bTW if outside the EU you need the right visa too.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in