Talk

Advanced search

Travelling abroad with a very young baby

(7 Posts)
JoelleGulmez Fri 24-Aug-18 11:06:04

Hi all,

So I had my first baby boy via c-section almost 5 weeks ago and am looking to take him to turkey as soon as possible as his dad/my husband is Turkish meaning not only did he miss the birth but he also is yet to meet him as he can’t get to the UK😩

As I said I’m looking to go as soon as possible and was initially going to wait until after his 8 week injections however am now considering trying to quickly take him over for a couple of weeks before then! Anyone got any experience of flying with such a small baby or anyone advise for or against taking him so young? Also any advice on how I can keep him as comfortable and happy as possible during the flight would be greatly appreciated!

OP’s posts: |
Stuckforthefourthtime Fri 24-Aug-18 11:15:11

I've flown with a 6 week old long haul- much easier than a 6 month old! 😊

Probably worth asking your HV about risks of taking them pre vaccinations, it depends a bit on what's about and also how long the vaccine takes to work - also if you are bfing that's extra protection.

I found it was easier to sort bookings over the phone with the airline, I bought lots of antiseptic wipes to clean bassinet etc and muslins to lay him on. Next time I'd bring a few extra also to make a screen for light, to cover up when he bfed to sleep and for coughing people hanging around waiting for the loo!
Also a sling if you have one is great even on the plane and much quicker through security etc (you can then check in your stroller), and a backpack means you have hands free.
Good luck - and what an exciting reunion!!!

SittingAround1 Fri 24-Aug-18 11:18:02

Have you sorted a passport out ? This can take a while.
Otherwise babies tend to sleep on flights - it's very useful if you are breastfeeding as they can just have a long feed.

Have a baby bag packed to take on board with you - nappies, wet wipes, change of clothes...

He might scream on landing before his ears pop though.

Ricekrispie22 Fri 24-Aug-18 17:37:21

Try to keep LO sucking during takeoff and landing, whether that’s by nursing, a bottle, or a pacifier and give regular drinks of water during the flight too, as babies are particularly prone to dehydration.

AuntieMay Fri 24-Aug-18 21:14:03

I flew back to Saudi Arabia with a 5 week old, much easier than when she was older and did the return journey at 9 months old. She had her 8 week vaccs in Saudi and all others at appropriate ages plus others needed for living there.
It was a really much easie flight r than I'd thought before the flight and I was on my own with 5 week old and 4 yr old on 8 hr flight.

eurochick Fri 24-Aug-18 21:16:25

I hadn't even managed to register the birth by that point (couldn't get an appointment) and it takes a while to get a passport. By the time that's sorted you should be fine.

fanomoninon Fri 24-Aug-18 21:17:24

Congratulations on the birth of your little boy - it must be hard being away from your husband at this time.
DD flew at 3 months iirc - and that was just a holiday! She was easy - breastfed on landing and takeoff to protect ears, but otherwise no bother, tbh. It got harder once she got mobile...!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in