Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know about GoPro - do I need to buy charger too?

(7 Posts)
penguinsnpandas Tue 07-Aug-18 15:42:56

Just bought DH a basic GoPro for his birthday so we can take pics underwater - its the Hero one, comes with SD card but anyone know do I also need to buy a charger? Or anything else for it that's essential, we will just do basic things, just want it to operate. Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
Jaimx86 Tue 07-Aug-18 15:50:16

Has it arrived yet? Pretty sure ours came with a charger. We bought one of these waterproof handles before we went and used it everyday. www.amazon.co.uk/Floating-Waterproof-monopod-selfie-handle/dp/B01B5U1AS4/ref=mp_s_a_1_13?keywords=gopro+waterproof+stick&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1533653283&sr=8-13 It means that the Go Pro will float if you drop it, and the wrist handle is useful for when you’re swimming. I hope you have fun - we got some awesome videos.

Taffeta Tue 07-Aug-18 15:51:28

DS (14) has had one a few years and has a USB charger cable thing - I’d be surprised if it didn’t come with this

It’s fantastic underwater

We are on holiday at the moment and he’s using a yellow floaty stick thing for it

He’s also got head and chest straps he uses occasionally

A case to carry it in is good

penguinsnpandas Tue 07-Aug-18 16:02:46

Thanks very much, arrives today and hopefully will be with charger. GoPro site wasn't clear and asked if I wanted to buy charger too but normally things come with means of charging so hoping it does. That looks useful, DH is high risk of dropping. Though last time went swimming with dolphins, he saw a dolphin looked panicked and jumped out of water so may not be him using it! Going to Great Barrier Reef so should be good to film in theory. Glad you've had fun using yours, they sound great but I am hopeless with technology and am not sure what we will be able to get out there as staying in the middle of rainforest.

TheDropBear Tue 07-Aug-18 16:07:11

They use a USB charging cord which should come in the box. You can also buy extra batteries so you can take extra fully charged ones with you and replace them if you run out of charge. This isn't necessary for most people though because the charge will last at least a full day.

I'd recommend getting some kind of accessory for in the water so he doesn't lose it. Either a hand/wrist mount or the floaty stick. Amazon has large non branded accessory packs for about £20 which are great for trying lots of things and working out what accessories you'll get a lot of use out of.

penguinsnpandas Tue 07-Aug-18 16:40:38

Thanks very much - just ordered a floaty stick.

fuzzyduck1 Fri 10-Aug-18 14:21:43

You can charge with a USB cable but only the battery in th camera. If you have more than 1battery it can be a pain. I got a led light (great for diving) for mine off amazon for £15 cane with 2 compatible batteries and you can charge both at the same time. Also get a red filter for it otherwise your photo will all be very green

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in