Talk

Advanced search

Where to visit in Istria region of Croatia

(8 Posts)
Fireinthegrate Sun 05-Aug-18 17:37:09

So we're going to Croatia in September.
Any 'must sees' or 'must do's'?

IsabelFW Tue 07-Aug-18 22:03:23

I was only in Opatija and Rijeka, and I like them very much.
Opatia is a small town or maybe even a village that was holiday place for a lot of royal families back in the days, and Rieka is very nice, too.

However there are some recommendations on other people's blogs like this two, maybe it would be helpful:
www.frankaboutcroatia.com/top-things-to-do-in-istria/
adventurousmiriam.com/top-11-places-to-visit-in-istria/

sunshineandthunder Tue 07-Aug-18 22:06:51

Porec is beautiful and if time allows you can visit Venice (2.25hrs by ferry). Rovinj also worth exploring.

Croatia is a lovely country.

Lynne1Cat Tue 07-Aug-18 22:09:14

I love Porec. It's a pretty little place, with a harbour and market, and a really lovely big park (you can get a little tourist train through it). The "beach" runs alongside it. It's a man-made bathing platform, with lots of kids' swings, slides, etc.

Lynne1Cat Tue 07-Aug-18 22:11:43

I've been to Rovinj and liked it, also Dubrovnik which gets absolutely packed with tourists from cruise ships there. The buses are always packed, and nobody queues! They all push in front to get on. There are loads of shops, cobbled side streets, outdoor concerts, and boat trips.

RamonaQuimbyage38 Fri 10-Aug-18 21:52:35

if you've got under 10s don't miss the dinopark at Funtana. Cheap as chips and a health and safety black hole, but lots of fun. Poorly made, well-worn model dinosaurs in a disused quarry with ricketty wooden walkways, plus mini fairground style rides which you operate yourself via the on/off switches. All pretty dodgy, but lots of fun with small ones (pretty sure older kids would not be impressed though!)
dinopark.hr/en/opening-hours-and-prices/

goldenlilliesdaffodillies Sat 11-Aug-18 10:38:12

Rovinji is a lovely town- we went on a boat trip there. Dinopark was amusing!
One tip I have is not to wear anything really brightly coloured. I did and was stung by an enormous weird flying insect (sort of black bee type thing but not a bee) which caused a huge reaction on my leg!

usuallydormant Sat 11-Aug-18 10:46:34

Rovinj is a gorgeous base, lovely old town, great restaurants and swimming spots. Pula definitely worth a day trip and we also loved Brijuni island - bring a picnic and snorkelling gear and head to the bay with Roman ruins .

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: