Talk

Advanced search

Cadbury World

(25 Posts)
Samesituation Sun 22-Jul-18 20:14:30

Thinking of going to Cadbury World, can anyone recommend a good hotel nearby but not too expensive for 2 adults 2 kids under 4. We are coming from the north probably for a couple of nights so willing to stay a little further a field and drive to Cadbury World.
Thank you.

OP’s posts: |
AndInOtherNews Sun 22-Jul-18 20:16:04

Following as we fancy going there too!

Samesituation Sun 22-Jul-18 21:58:22

Fingers crossed for some good advice !!

Ricekrispie22 Mon 23-Jul-18 18:27:02

It sounds like you haven't yet bought your Cadbury World tickets yet, so it might be worth looking into a package with Holiday Inn www.hibirminghamhotelm6j7.co.uk/leisure-breaks/packages-and-offers/, The Plough and Harrow www.ploughandharrowhotel.co.uk or Jury's Inn www.jurysinns.com/deals/cadburys-world-birmingham-special-offer

Edgebaston Palace Hotel is nearby with comfortable family rooms. www.edgbastonpalacehotel.com/rooms.html
Ramada is good and has a kids menu www.ramadasuttonhotel.co.uk

Samesituation Mon 23-Jul-18 22:02:23

@Ricekrispie22 - No I haven't bought tickets yet - almost did yesterday !! Was pricing up whether it Was cheaper to book everything separate or book a package. Thank you for your suggestions I will take a look.

MadisonAvenue Mon 23-Jul-18 22:06:58

Is it the only attraction you're going to be visiting in the area? It's really not worth making a special journey for if so.

Samesituation Mon 23-Jul-18 23:02:06

@Madisonavenue - Yeh it is just to go to Cadbury World . Is it not that good?

Bea Thu 26-Jul-18 15:06:09

The Premier Inn at Longbridge would be cheap and cheerful... Surrounded by a huge M&S with nice cafe!.. A Costa... Boots... Smyths toy shop... Greggs... Pizza place and 10 mins down the road to Cadbury world!... You could go to Stratford?... Butterfly farm is lovely... (or used to be!)... Lots of parks close to Cadbury!... Really lovely pub in Harborne with great food and very family friendly The Plough... (breakfast is yummy!)... Cafe at Rowheath pavilion (2 mins from Cadbury) very nice with younger kids.. Small playground there... Birmingham botanical Gardens good too but a little pricey!... Anymore questions just ask!..x

Kelliem Thu 26-Jul-18 15:17:22

We went on Monday, drove down from Leeds. It was ok.. not worth the 6 hrs in the car for me but my 6 yr old loved it. I think the York chocolate story is also good if that’s closer for you

PoptartPoptart Thu 26-Jul-18 22:38:33

It was pretty naff tbh. Old and tired looking and just not very entertaining. DC’s were pretty underwhelmed by it as was I.
It also doesn’t help that the chocolate now tastes crap too since the Americans ruined it with their new recipe.

PoptartPoptart Thu 26-Jul-18 22:41:31

Also, I just noticed op that your DC’s are both under 4.
Personally I don’t think they will get much out of it at all.
They might enjoy the children’s play area outside, but it’s a long way to travel (and expensive too) just to visit a play area.

Someoneelsee Thu 26-Jul-18 22:45:39

I wouldn't bother

WillowDogs Thu 26-Jul-18 22:48:49

I've never been to Cadbury World but if you really want to could you combine the trip with a visit somewhere else so if it's not brilliant then it's not been a waste? I can highly recommend Dudley Zoo, it's not that far from Cadbury World and it's really good value compared to other Zoos. Loads for kids.
There are lots of things to do in that area so you could always look around.

Samesituation Thu 26-Jul-18 23:17:29

Hmmmm thanks for all your replies... looks like Cadbury World is getting the thumbs down - but some other suggestions for the area perhaps.
@Poptart what age would you say Cadbury World is suitable for?

PoptartPoptart Fri 27-Jul-18 12:09:35

I took the DC’s when they were 8 and 10.
There is a lot of stuff to read about the origins and history of chocolate, how it’s made etc, which will probably be lost on a 4 year old.
The shop at the end was pretty rubbish too - expensive and overpriced.
Apparently Warwick Castle is nearby. I haven’t been but I’ve heard good reviews about it. In the holidays they have shows etc on for kids, horrible history stuff. Although again, with under 4’s they might be a bit young to appreciate it.
At that age, the most popular days out that my DC enjoyed were farms, petting zoos, playgrounds, soft play and swimming.
They also loved Paultons Park. Gullivers Land was a massive hit and is aimed more at little ones. There is a splash zone water play park next door too which was fab.

Samesituation Fri 27-Jul-18 20:41:09

Thanks @Poptart appreciate your reply.

Yogagirl123 Fri 27-Jul-18 20:48:14

We have really enjoyed our visits to Cadbury World, been a couple of times. Lots of information and interactive attractions. Lots of parking, huge shop etc.

Family121 Fri 27-Jul-18 20:55:16

premier inn in Birmingham

Outbackshack Fri 27-Jul-18 20:57:08

We only live 20 mins from cadbury world and have not been as generally has a fairly negative rep. Also have a 2 and 4 year old. We've said maybe when they are older (and there is a really good discount)

Vanillaradio Sat 28-Jul-18 12:16:33

I took my four year old and although he did enjoy it I feel it was really aimed at slightly old children and there was quite a bit he didn't understand. Also word of warning the first part was very dark which scared him!

JetsetJetlaggedJaded Sat 28-Jul-18 12:52:26

You could combine it with some things in the city centre, where there are loads of hotels available, or Air BnBs

eg you could visit the brand new Legoland Discovery https://birmingham.legolanddiscoverycentre.co.uk

And/or the Sealife Centre https://www.visitsealife.com/birmingham/

If you don't fancy driving around you can get from bham new street station to Cadbury's on the cross city train line direct to Bournville station right next to Cadbury World, and it only takes 10 mins. (Trains depart every 10 mins). You can also get 30% discount if you travel there by train.

I think Cadbury World is pretty good actually, but it is a bit pricey so definitely look for discounts smile

StylishMummy Sat 28-Jul-18 12:57:18

If you're coming to this region, I'd be inclined to head towards Warwick and Stratford, Warwick castle, Stratford butterfly farm, river Avon cruise, there's a tonne more family friendly stuff without paying for Cadbury world which is shit, tired and pretty awful value for money

JetsetJetlaggedJaded Sat 28-Jul-18 12:59:36

PS. If your kids like dinosaurs, Dippy is visiting Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery from the National History Museum at the moment, and that's free of charge
http://www.birminghammuseums.org.uk/bmag/whats-on/dippy-on-tour-a-natural-history-adventure

Samesituation Sun 29-Jul-18 21:35:46

Thanks everyone lots of suggestions x

crocodileshavenoears Tue 31-Jul-18 18:44:27

I've been three times and each time stayed in a Premier Inn in Birmingham and got the train out to Cadbury World. It's a really nice walk through Bournville from the station and staying in the city centre allowed us to visit other places too - we really like the museum and art gallery (although my DC were 12 and 9 last time we went).

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in