Talk

Advanced search

Sri Lanka – dengue fever and humidity?

(7 Posts)
ohbigdaddio Tue 26-Jun-18 18:38:18

Just spent ages researching a trip to Sri Lanka around Christmas time.
Have only just learnt about dengue fever which is transmitted by mosquitos and I am very prone to mossie bites! There also is no vaccine against this...

Has anyone experienced any issues and should I replan my holiday destination? And also, how humid is it? I've never been anywhere tropical so unsure what to expect in terms of how bearable it will be!

OP’s posts: |
specialsubject Tue 26-Jun-18 22:13:11

i havent been to sri lanka, but dengue is everywhere in the tropics. as a tourist you have to be quite unlucky but it can happen. 24/7 deet and cover up.

dengue once isnt fun. dengue twice is much worse so should it happen you may not want to visit the tropics again.

makes you think about all who live in these places. hope for a vaccine.

ohbigdaddio Wed 27-Jun-18 19:47:46

Thanks, will have to have a think then as I'm so prone to bites!

OP’s posts: |
littlemisscomper Sat 30-Jun-18 14:58:26

My brother has been coming and going a lot from Sri Lanka. Initially for work but he fell in love with a colleague who's over there and has been 'popping over' quite a lot. He hasn't had any issues with mosquitoes yet (although they usually like him a lot!) but he's mostly been in Colombo so I guess not so heavily populated with them there as rural areas might be? He has however been violently ill a couple of times. The first time it was after eating street food, like a numpty, but the second time he was being very careful. Unfortunately the lurgies/bugs/diseases are everywhere and even if you're ulta cautious with food and so on they can be a risk. My sister's friend was caught out the same way. Unfortunately there's no way of knowing if you're going to be unlucky until it's happened.

BananaHarvest Sat 30-Jun-18 15:05:17

We loved Sri Lanka. We went for three weeks last January to Colombo, Kandy and the south western coast.
Go to your GPs travel clinic in good time to discuss antimalarials. We didn’t suffer hugely from mosquitoes (much worse in India) but weren’t really in heavily forested areas. We didn’t have any health problems at all and as long as you have insurance there are good hospitals and doctors.
It was brilliant. Hot but bearable with a pool and the sea to cool in. Fantastic, welcoming staff and local people wherever we went. Kandy was amazing as we went during a big festival at the Temple of the Tooth Relic - so colourful. Mount Lavinia was a lovely too, if someone colonial in setting.
Don’t rethink - it was unforgettable.

specialsubject Sat 30-Jun-18 21:13:06

dengue is more prevalent in cities.

Fintress Tue 03-Jul-18 07:40:53

You don't need ant-malarials for Sri Lanka. As a PP said Dengue fever is prevalent in any tropical country. We've travelled to a lot of 'dengue' countries and been fine. Sri Lanka is amazing, I would love to go back.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in